✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Letter!!

Mimixxx

Heya! So i bought the NME Glasto special (cos I'm sad like that!) and in it, it has a page regarding Coldplay's performance in 2002 (all v.nice, positive stuff), but what I thought was v.interesting was that they printed the letter that Chris wrote to Mendip Council to defend Glasto (which actually saved the festival) as I don't have a scanner and am v.bored I'm gonna write it out for you to see :) So here I go:

***********************************************************************************

12th February 2003

Dear Sir/Madam/Members of Mendip District Council.

I am writing to urge you not to refuse the Eavises a licence for this year’s Glastonbury Festival. I believe that the loss of this extraordinary event would be an absolute tragedy, and would like, if I may, to outline some of the reasons why I feel it is so important that it go ahead.

As a musical and cultural event the Glastonbury Festival is, on both a national and global level, absolutely unparalleled. The esteem in which artists and music fans all around the world hold it is extraordinary. It is the one concert that every artist I have met, almost regardless of genre, would love to play, and the one that every music fan would love to attend.

It is without doubt the best live music event in the world. It has launched the careers of countless artists, from Robbie Williams to Radiohead, and has hence played an important part in turning music into one of Britain’s most successful exports. The opportunities and attention that my own group Coldplay has received internationally, as a result of having played at Glastonbury, are countless. Its loss would make it significantly harder for new artists to break through, and would have serious effects upon the music industry.

It has raised both awareness, and huge amounts of money, for charity. Organisations such as Oxfam and WaterAid benefit greatly from the media attention and financial boost that being involved with Glastonbury gives them, and the festival helps to introduce their, and other worthwhile causes, to a wider and more varied audience.

Of course I understand the argument being presented against it. It cannot help but have a disruptive effect upon everyday life in the surrounding area. But I would urge you to consider that so too does a county show or large sporting event. The effects can be minimised by efficient organisation, and I know that last year Michael and Emily did everything that was asked of them to make the festival as smooth-running and harmonious as possible. In addition I would stress that as someone who grew up in the West Country, I have only ever noticed an immense pride in the festival.

But perhaps what I think is most important to stress is just how much enjoyment the festival affords everybody who is involved with or attends it.

The wider picture is nothing but positive. It is an incredible experience; there is so much to see and do, so much variety and colour. It makes thousands upon thousands of people happy. For my part I think it is wonderful.

Thank you for taking the time to read this letter.

Yours sincerely,

Chris AJ Martin

*************************************************************************************

Ain't it great, but I think the major question that should be raised from this letter is: What the fook does the AJ stand for????