✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Violet Hill Sounds Most Like Which Genesis Song?

SFfella

Hi Everyone:

There are many too many who think Violet Hill has a Genesis like sound. Since I am a huge fan of Genesis and Coldplay, I can only hope the Genesis comments were intended as compliments. Go easy on me please ... :laugh3:

So, which Genesis songs does Violet Hill most sound like? Or, which Genesis songs inspired what we hear in Violet Hill? I hear elements of Home by the Sea, Mama, Abacab and a few others. What are you all picking up?

TB

Did you say "Many Too Many"?;) Actually, just hearing the youtube solo piano version, it reminds me of that song a lot. The chords are very Tony Banks when you strip the song down. Lonely Man On The Corner comes to mind as well as the songs you mentioned.

And if you've ever heard a solo song by Banks called Water Into Wine, there are some similarities to A Spell A Rebel Yell, imo.

Glad I'm not the only one hearing Genesis, and when I make that comparison, it most definitely IS a compliment! I NEVER imagined I'd hear Genesis in Coldplay and it delights me no end to post in a thread like this.:D:D:D

OK, yeah it sounds alot like a Genesis song ... an old song... OK, so kill me if you want! It's OK, I don't think it's one to make the classic list... but it's just OK with me. I guess I was looking for something more outstanding guitar riffs maybe... I looped it today to study it more intensely, and I knew it sounded like someone else, then I read this... yeh, it's got that old Genesis sound and beat. I hope the next song will ... what did they say "Blow my socks off" cause I am still wearing my shoes and socks on Violet Hill.

Paul Revere and the Raiders - Indian Reservation

Oh, Man! Now that's a really old song and sound... what's really bad is that I know that song! And as for the clip of the other one... Rebel Yell or whatever, I can hardly hear what Chris is singing b/c it sounds way overly processed... hope the whole song sounds better than that clip. And I am an avid CP fan, but this new stuff is just not impressive to me. I will play it again, maybe will sound better!

Indian Reservation is one cool tune though! I still hear it from time-to-time on the radio.. I have not heard Rebel Yell yet - my outdated machine is having trouble accepting the newer versions of players and such - I'll have to actually purchase a copy!

(Indian Reservation)---Yea, it's from wayy back in the 60's rebellion days, but I think they're drawing some inspiration from back then.. Anyhow, it's reminiscent of that and some Tom Petty sounds on Johnny's Guitar part. Running Down a Dream? It's perhaps some other style, or from somewhere else, but that's what comes to mind. Good tune for the times!