✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

My interpretation/meaning of Violet Hill

FedEx

Very interesting . But i'm confused with some of the lyrics you wrote. The line that starts with "bury me" ,i thought it was,"bury me in armour, when i'm dead and hit the ground, my nerves are poles, that unfroze". And this "I don't wanna be a soldier ,who the captain of some sinking ship would stow ,far below ". Other than that, its fine. . I also think it's written from a soldier's perspective,but i thought the soldier was dead and telling his story.Here's my interpretation.Here's my interpretation.The soldier tells of a time (much like ours) when wars were fought for meaningless reasons and for the benefit of goverment leaders . The very first line ,at the end , where they say "white snow", i thought that it meant that he remembers it was white but now the snow wasn't white anymore,it was stained by the blood of all the people that died in that war. "clearly i remember, from the windows they were watching ,while we froze, down below ". Again describes how the politicians watched as the soldiers died for their selfish wars. "when the future's architectured ,by a carnival of idiots" this tells us that the future is grimm if world leader's are allowed to shape the future by war and destruction. So the soldier says "you'd better lie low". If you love me, won't you let me know", now the soldier remembers the last time he saw his lover, he told her that if she loved him, this was probably her last chance to let him know cause he may not return from the war. "when the future's architectured ,by a carnival of idiots" this tells us that the future is grimm if world leader's are allowed to shape the future by war and destruction. So the soldier says "you'd better lie low". If you love me, won't you let me know", now the soldier remembers the last time he saw his lover, he told her that if she loved him, this was probably her last chance to let him know cause he may not return from the war. "was a long and dark december,when the banks became cathedrals" with this he tells the time after the war when money was the only thing people craved,so bank became places to worship."and the fox became god" by this he means that the rich and cunning were treated like gods. "priest clutched onto bibles,hollowed out to fit the rifles" during that time,people forgot god and craved money and power,so much so that the tried to eliminate religion. So even holy people like priests had to carry weapons for safety."and the cross was held aloft" meaning the priests,even though it was dangerous,still preached their religion. "I don't wanna be a soldier,who the captain of some sinking ship would stow,far below" now the soldier regrets leaving his lover to go to war. He thinks of how even high ranking military officials don't care if ordinary soldiers die ."So if you loved me why'd you let me go" so now the soldier is mad at his lover, cause if she loved him ,how could she let him go to this war to die. "I took my love down to violet hill,there we sat in the snow,all that time she was silent still, so if you love me won't you let me know". Now the soldier remembers that he took his lover to a place called violet hill before the war. He asked her if she would let him know that she loved him. But she was silent still.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with your interpretation but for one point: I think "Priests clutched on to bibles, hollowed out to fit their rifles and the cross was held aloft" is actually a line that criticises religion and those who preach it for being hypocritical - they preach the bible and hold the cross, but in reality they are also part of the war machinery and supportive of it, hence the bibles are but a disguise for their rifles.