✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

My interpretation/meaning of Violet Hill

FedEx

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this song is talking about the Battle of Hong Kong in 1941. The Battle took place from December 8, 1941 and went until Christmas Day, 1941. Violet Hill, a location in Hong Kong, was used by the Japanese to bomb Aberdeen during this battle.

At the end of the song, when he talks about taking his love to Violet Hill, it fits, because Violet Hill would be a good place to view where the battle took place. The battle was fought in urban areas as well, so the "rooftops" line fit.

British, Canadian, and Indian soldiers all fought against the Japanese. The Japanese won the battle.

Chris is British, so it could be describing the story of one of his relatives? I am not sure, but this song seems to fit the battle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Violet_Hill

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Hong_Kong

• 2 weeks later...

Since the first time I heard the song, I though it was in reference to the winter George Washington spent at Valley Forge during the Revolutionary War, during December of 1777

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valley_Forge

sorry, just had to get that out there because it makes sense to me.

The last line would be in reference to his country, as thousands suffered through the winter

my two pennies

i liked the idea that this in a sense is the song of a soldier. but there are a few points, which makes me wonder that maybe this is not a song specifically about soldiers but rather the voices of those involved in war or watching it from afar. so i think there are a number of voices/people in this song, and it is not the story of one.

why do i think this?

in verse 1, the person is standing on the rooftop looking down at the white snow. as if when looking from above/distance we see nothing wrong with the world around us. regardless of the fact that this december has been long and dark. the white snow sounds beautiful.

but then we go to verse 2, where there is someone looking up from that snow, looking at those who clearly see their suffering but do nothing about it, instead we allow them to die. so there are three people here already, one on the rooftop, one at the window and the one on ground. it's really sad, and makes you feel helpless.

verse 3--we know that this "carnival of idiots" are the leaders of today. the fact that it is a carnival highlights that it's like party of these fools. we are leaving our future in the hands of those who cannot take responsibility for the power they have been given. and why must we lie low? because those who speak against these idiots are struck down, imprisoned, tortured..etc. they define who their enemies are, so no one is safe really.

this whole section is about people who are not communicating and not understanding what the other sees. it's like we're all so close and yet worlds apart.

verse 4--is the cry of all--telling the world to realise their role and act upon it. be the voices for those who dont have one.

verse 5 and 6---there is no one in particular speaking here. rather its showing us what is going on while the individuals in the previous verses spoke about the snow. so what is happening? there is no room for religion when solace is found in consumerism. the fog has become God--very negative connotations around the idea of God. but it just highlights secularism and the movement away from dependence in religion. So much so that even people of religion have been convinced that this 'battle' is important. and the cross is held up high---the whole verse made me think of the crusades.

verse 7---does honour only come in death? this reminded me of the soldiers who were sent to Iraq--it's as if only in death did people realise their loss.

the guitar solo is really crucial to this song, it breaks up the detached nature of the previous verses. because it was like a story being told. but then...

verse 8---this doesnt start in a dark december..this is NOW! he's telling us what he wants. this is the people speaking out saying that they do not want to be a part of a movement, an idea where the 'captain' or leader has no idea what he's doing. because being 'soldier' of this ship we are looking down where the snow is...and to follow this captain will not save us but rather bring us down to the snow. now this could mean two things--1. there is no hope for anyone to be safe from this 'war', or 2. we don't want to know what is going on in the world. we'd rather be on our rooftops or looking down from our windows.

verse 9---this confuses me. we know that the 'leaders' dont love us. is it that why he was made to go or that someone let me go off the ship?

verse 10--i think that violet hill is a metaphor for seeing things how it is. he took her 'down' to it, out of her comfort zone to see the world for what it is. and she shocked by what she saw.

the last verses are a cry from both soldiers and victims of the atrocities in the world, for example Afghanistan and Iraq. the West say we are freeing these people from the ruthless grips of dictatorship and we offer them democracy, and yet millions die without so much a flinch from any of us. so how can show them that we care....we gotta let me know...

sigh. i'm probably completely wrong, but these ar my thoughts. obviously, we see things through the lens life has given us.

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe Chris read all the pages in The Perv Unit thread and wanted to vent?

Maybe Chris got skulled and wrote this on the back of a beer-mat?

Maybe Chris just wanted to write a fooking good song?

Maybe all these kinda threads are, in the end, pointless as only Chris can truly and honestly know what he meant and what he felt when he wrote it?

People - let's ENJOY these songs and not psychoanalyze them. Please, I get enough of that in my degree. I don't need it in my music lol.

I didn't understand Rolling Stones' interpretation of the song:

"For a bew bars, the first single from CP's fourth album seems like it might be yet another piano ballad about space and stars and stuff. But it's actually a (relatively) hard-rocking attack on Fox News' America. Take that, Cavuto!"

I assume since I watch Fox News I'm part of that America, but still don't see how they got that...

I didn't understand Rolling Stones' interpretation of the song:

"For a bew bars, the first single from CP's fourth album seems like it might be yet another piano ballad about space and stars and stuff. But it's actually a (relatively) hard-rocking attack on Fox News' America. Take that, Cavuto!"

I assume since I watch Fox News I'm part of that America, but still don't see how they got that...

Rolling Stones is entirely written by Bill O'Reilly and he lost a thumb war to Cavuto. Hence the article.:)

Ahh yes, that makes sense. :D

I'm a big fan of Bill O. haha.

Papa Bear sure is one of the most interesting (and divisive) commentators in the USA at the mo at least to me, an outsider. Between him, Hannity, Brian Williams, Jon Stewart and Colbert (for total balance) I find out what's happening in that land I love, America. Plus O'Reilly, Hannity and Colbert are all Irish-American guys so that counts for something:laugh3:

Papa Bear sure is one of the most interesting (and divisive) commentators in the USA at the mo at least to me, an outsider. Between him, Hannity, Brian Williams, Jon Stewart and Colbert (for total balance) I find out what's happening in that land I love, America. Plus O'Reilly, Hannity and Colbert are all Irish-American guys so that counts for something:laugh3:

minus Brian Williams, that's pretty much who I get my news from lol.

I'm also Irish-American lol, but I've never been to Ireland....haha.

Please tell me you don't take O'Reilly seriously? He doesn't even report anything close to what I would call news JPB. You know he is completely biased right? And just makes shit up, it's been proven so don't flame me into oblivion if you like him for some god forsaken reason

Please tell me you don't take O'Reilly seriously? He doesn't even report anything close to what I would call news JPB. You know he is completely biased right? And just makes shit up, it's been proven so don't flame me into oblivion if you like him for some god forsaken reason

He leans right but most things I've heard from him are legit news stories and his perspective on them. There's a reason why his show is the most watched news show in the country... ;)

Plus he's hilarious. I tend to agree with him on most things.

If Coldplay did mean this as a slam against Fox News, well Fox News is the most-watched cable news station so yeah....just because they don't have a liberal bias doesn't mean they make stuff up. They're the only fair news station I've seen. Every other station is too liberal.

Here "violet hill" refers to a snowy hill turned violet from the blood of those who died in the war, and after running away he's returned and taken his love there to show her why he had to desert the army and what he faced and suffered. But now the army is after him for deserting, and thus again he will be apart from his lover. So again desperately he asks his lover that if she loves him she better let him know for she may never see him again. Also here the piano is the only instrument playing, to highlight the sadness and the coldness of the situation.

Violet Hill is a person

Being the most watched doesn't mean you're necessarily the best. This will sound terrible, but a lot of people are idiots. And he has made things up, he does it all the time. I'm not just making that up. Plus he doesn't allow for any other side of an issue to be discussed (least from what I've seen). If he does he doesn't even really allow the person he has on to express their views, and just has them on the show to try and make them look like a fool, which they usually aren't. If you take the show for what it is, it can be very funny though, he's such a pompous ass it can be hilarious. For a little bit anyway

I don't like most news stations though, I'll agree with you there. Most seem to just be turning into tabloid type programs. MSNBC is the best I think at trying to get at least some kind of balanced and fair news across. Newspapers are by far the best in my opinion though

Also, I don't mean you're an idiot or anything so don't take this the wrong way. I just don't like Bill O'Reilly

Being the most watched doesn't mean you're necessarily the best. This will sound terrible, but a lot of people are idiots. And he has made things up, he does it all the time. I'm not just making that up. Plus he doesn't allow for any other side of an issue to be discussed (least from what I've seen). If he does he doesn't even really allow the person he has on to express their views, and just has them on the show to try and make them look like a fool, which they usually aren't. If you take the show for what it is, it can be very funny though, he's such a pompous ass it can be hilarious. For a little bit anyway

I don't like most news stations though, I'll agree with you there. Most seem to just be turning into tabloid type programs. MSNBC is the best I think at trying to get at least some kind of balanced and fair news across. Newspapers are by far the best in my opinion though

Also, I don't mean you're an idiot or anything so don't take this the wrong way. I just don't like Bill O'Reilly

Yeah I know where you're coming from, I guess I watch him for the same reason I watch Colbert and Jon Stewart....lol. He's hilarious and it's entertaining to watch haha.

MSNBC, well I never watch it but I'm not a big fan of Chris Matthews haha.

Hahah, thats what I mean. If you view him in the same way as Stewart or Colbert and don't take him too seriously he's actually pretty damn funny. The only difference is that he's not trying to be. Some people really believe him though

And Chris Matthews is a tool lol. Totally agree with you, he is very annoying. I like Keith Oberman though. I think he does a good job of being as unbiased as he can, and when he should be

Hahah, thats what I mean. If you view him in the same way as Stewart or Colbert and don't take him too seriously he's actually pretty damn funny. The only difference is that he's not trying to be. Some people really believe him though

And Chris Matthews is a tool lol. Totally agree with you, he is very annoying. I like Keith Oberman though. I think he does a good job of being as unbiased as he can, and when he should be

haha yeah, well Bill does say some good things but it is possible some of it is made up lol.

never watched Keith, might have to check him out sometime. might not be as entertaining as Papa Bear tho haha. I know we're off-topic but the Entertainment Weekly (Tonight, whatever) video of him was HILARIOUS hahaha he got so mad.

I haven't seen that, I bet it was funny though I'm gonna have to look it up.

And he's definitely not as entertaining as O'Reilly but he can be funny. He's also pretty smart. I don't watch his show every night though, just a few times a week or so.

And I admit O'Reilly is great at what he does, still annoys me though ha