✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

19-Nov-08: Dallas - Tickets, Preview, Meetups, Review/Photos

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coldplay rocks American Airlines Center

DALLAS - The world-famous British band Coldplay rocked the American Airlines Center to a sold-out audience Wednesday.

The band is on a world tour promoting its latest chart-topping album, "Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends."

Coldplay began the concert with the opening track on its recent album, "Life in Technicolor." As the members walked out toward the stage and grabbed their respective instruments, the music began to get louder, and the crowd went into a frenzy.

The band played all its hits, such as "Clocks," "In My Place" and "Speed of Sound."

Before lead singer Chris Martin began to perform "Cemeteries of London," he told the crowd, "If you are here to see the Jonas Brothers, then you are at the wrong show." The remark was met with laughter from the audience and Martin himself.

The show had many highlights that included the band walking to the back of the arena and up to the audience to perform "The Scientist." Martin told the crowd, "We can't come up to Dallas without visiting the back of the room."

Before performing the song, Martin mentioned that a Rolling Stone journalist had reminded him earlier that if he bought the new Gun N' Roses album "Chinese Democracy," he would receive a free Dr Pepper.

Martin then suggested that maybe the band perform "Paradise City" but laughed off the thought and stated that they should move on "to something more serious." However, at the end of performing "The Scientist" Martin sang, "Take me down to Paradise City, where the grass is green and the girls are pretty."

While still performing within the audience, Martin gave up the mic to drummer Will Champion to perform "Death Will Never Conquer Me." I was quite impressed because I had no idea that Champion could sing and sing well.

Even though the show was Coldplay at its best, I didn't like their somewhat techno version of "God Put A Smile On Your Face" and "Talk." The songs didn't sound like they should have and were hard to recognize until Martin began to sing. The beat was techno-based, and the guitar riffs were overshadowed by overuse of the whammy bar.

What surprised me the most about the concert was that Martin was more vocal with the audience than last time the band was in Dallas promoting "X&Y."

He was talkative and told many jokes. Before one song, while sitting at the piano, he told the audience, "I wish I were like Bruce Springsteen with stories for the songs, but I don't have any." Before performing "The Hardest Part," he joked that the song was written by Joe the Plumber before he became a plumber. Martin called him "Joe the Songwriter." All of his anecdotes were met with giggles from the audience and himself.

Since Coldplay's rise to fame, the ticket prices for the band's concerts have risen dramatically. However, I believe that the ticket was worth the price, and I plan on seeing the group again next time it comes back.

Jessica Harp http://media.www.ntdaily.com/media/storage/paper877/news/2008/11/21/Opinion/Coldplay.Rocks.American.Airlines.Center-3556967.shtml

Retrieved from "http://wiki.coldplaying.com/index.php/19_November_2008:_American_Airlines_Center%2C_Dallas%2C_TX%2C_USA"

Coldplay Like God (Great Expectations)

As I was sitting at Coldplay, I realized that they were like God. Wait, before you question whether or not I’m pulling my golden calf out of the furnace, hear me out.

When I went to see Coldplay for the first time a few weeks ago, I was expectant but had no idea what those expectations looked like. I knew it would be good, but I didn’t know HOW good. My seats were perfect too. I had a perfect view of the stage, great acoustics, and they even came out from the stage to the tier right below me. I had paid 2nd tier prices for 8th row seats (well, for at least 2 songs)  A-mazing…I almost cried at one point. I can’t even explain the emotion I felt because of my life situation at that moment. I was with one of my best friends, away from work (destressed), and in sunny Florida sharing space with Chris Martin. Does it get better??

Well, if one show is good, isn’t a 2nd show better? That was my mindset as I bought one lonely ticket to the Dallas show for that next week (that was all they had left, I might add). I fought traffic solo, parked, bundled up in the wind, and braced myself for the hike to my nosebleed seats that I swear were situated in the Himalayas. In fact, I was in what I call the “echo nook” of the AAC—it trapped all the echoes and bounced them back and forth like a game of “keep away.” Only, I was the sad little kid in the middle. Not good. I certainly enjoyed the performance, but I honestly felt a little slighted. At one point I thought, “I’m sure glad I had Orlando because I know they sound better than this (and for the record, it was still phenomenal). I kind of felt sorry for the folks who experienced Coldplay like that. I watched as some walked out early and others left to use the bathroom in the middle of ‘Fix You’ (what?!) Part of me wanted to stop them and start explaining how amazing it could be. What good would that do? It doesn’t change their experience…but it also doesn’t change the truth that Coldplay is much better than this. It was all a matter of distorted experience and circumstance.

THAT is when I realized how much this is like my feelings toward the LORD. How often do I come to Him with a plan already mapped out, expectantly waiting for Him to “recreate” His 1st performance by my standards. But, by the nature of location and emotional circumstance, it is never what I expect (even if it was the exact plan I’d had—it wouldn’t meet my precise expectations). Just as a music note travels a different path in a different venue, so God cannot be measured or calculated. We can never guess the mind and plan of the LORD.

Even when my experience with Him tells me that He “let me down” or failed my great expectations, it doesn’t change the Universal Truth of His promises or how magnificent He is. He makes no apology for where you are sitting—how close or far depends on you. If you put yourself in a nosebleed echo chamber, the fault is not His. That same dissonance you hear from there is a spine-tingling masterpiece to those in correct proximity. God designed you to sit on the front row of creation; Himself, center stage. That scenario is the best, but certainly not the only one. I often feel the need to “explain Jesus” to people (or really, stick up for Him), as if He needs ME as His PR person [insert belly laugh here].

I believe I need to keep myself in the front row and allow Him to blow my mind instead of trying to recreate 2nd rate, calculated experiences full of human expectation. I also feel I should start pulling people from the rafters and offer the front row ticket Jesus bought with His life. They need only to pick it up at ‘will call’…

http://browniebytes.blogspot.com/2008/11/coldplay-like-god-great-expectations.html

Coldplay Is Frighteningly Good Live

Dear gentle readers:

Welcome to my blog, where there is SOMETHING FOR EVERYONE.

I saw Coldplay at the American Airlines Center last night (Nov. 19). Plenty 'o fun observations: miniskirts, boots and scarves seemed to be the popular items of the evening; my Viva La Vida (name of their album)T shirt was $35; i sat in the nosebleed seats but still had an OK view; the first two acts I didn't pay much attention to bc I was hungrily waiting for Coldplay; the first act was called Sleepercar, from El Paso; i had a hot dog and a Coke while I was waiting.

Getting hungry so I'm going to make this post MUCH shorter than I wanted to (darn necessity for food). Coldplay played for about 1 hour, 45 minutes. During several songs Chris Martin skipped around the stage in a cute leather jacket and jeans (although my view was limited by being in Section 327). Coldplay did more new-album songs than older stuff. They played the two songs I wanted to hear the most, "42" and "Viva La Vida," off their new album. During one of the early songs, Martin gave a plug to "Medieval Times" (N. Stemmons Fwy) restaurant, saying it was near his hotel. OK, I'm there.

You should buy Jimmy Dean's Breakfast Bowls, the pancakes and sausage one. They are delicious. Only takes a few minutes in the microwave.

TARGET Tip of the day: I got some legwarmers there for $7.99. I got two pairs.

I am going to write about my Writing Adventure soon.

For you die-hard Coldplay fans, "you didn't get to heaven but you made it close,"

Peace,

bbb

http://northdallashomegirl.blogspot.com/2008/11/coldplay-is-frighteningly-good-live.html

I Can Die Happy Now

There are moments in my life that I'm convinced that God looks over at the angels, grins and says "hey watch this".

Randy and I have had tickets to see Coldplay at American Airlines Center in Dallas since last June. The second they went on sale I bought them. Last night was the big night and we were so excited. However, I must have been due to be rear-ended in rush hour traffic because it had been a while since the last time. But of all nights for it to happen, this couldn't be worse. I was terrified I was going to miss the concert. Fortunately, the car drove fine after I exchanged information with the 19 year-old kid (who wasn't paying attention).

We made it in plenty of time to wish that the opening artist was on his last song and that Coldplay would take the stage. I sat there in my seat, wishing I was closer to the stage and being a little jealous of all the radio contest winners who were on the front row. It was as if God thunked me on the head and I realized I should really just be thankful that I was there in the first place.

The concert finally started and it was amazing. We kept reading reviews that if you were going to see a concert, this would be the one to see. And boy was it. They were amazing.

About half way through I turned around and noticed that about three rows behind us and a little to the left, there was a microphone and three guitar stands set up. I turned around to Randy and said "no way!" Sure enough after a couple more songs, they came down the ramp and up the stairs and this is what we got.

untitled9.bmp

I pretty much wept. We couldn't believe it! Out of all the thousands and thousands of people there and all of the hundreds of places they could have gone in the stadium, they stood right behind us. Randy is convinced that Chris Martin was looking at him. They sang "The Scientist" and a couple of other songs. It was the most unbelievable thing and I barely slept all night.

http://blog.deeperside.com/2008/11/there-are-moments-in-my-life-that-im.html

Interesting you say this because I actually did and wasn't successful.

I got inside just after 6pm. I stood up for an hour and a half to hopefully spot a scout...no luck. The lights went down at 7:30, Sleepercar came on, I gave up, and decided to finally go eat something.

Just as I was about to finish my meal out in the concessions area, I heard these very loud screams from some girls. I knew right away, what it could be. So I hurried up and finished and walked over to the area that the screams came from. Then I stummbled upon 3 people (2 guys and a girl) that were wearing official badges and radios. So I walked right up to them and asked, "Do you have any front row seats?" They all immediately said no and walked quickly in the opposite direction to get away from me. I thought well crap. So I kind of followed them around a little bit, but from a distance. Then I heard more screaming. This continued off and on for about 30 minutes to an hour.

SO THEY LIED!!!

I just didn't get it. I was totally by myself and they couldn't give me one stinking ticket? They weren't very nice to me, but they were extra nice to the random people that came in at the last minute who they just gave tickets to.

I guess I wasn't front row worthy.

Thanks to Coldplay finally coming onstage to help me forget about what had just happened.

Sorry if I sound sour about this, but I just thought they would be nicer than that is all.

At least the show was awesome!!!

Wow, that really blows. Obviously you are a big fan to actually know about all this. I think I found one of these guys too. Nettie talked to him, and he blew us off as well. Sucks. I'm sorry.