✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

19-Nov-08: Dallas - Tickets, Preview, Meetups, Review/Photos

Coldplay lives up to its billing as one of pop music's top touring bands

In this age of media hype, when it seems as if any doofus willing to embarrass himself or herself on TV can get at least the beginnings of a music career, too many events elicit no reaction stronger than "muh." So it was great Wednesday night at American Airlines Center to actually go to an undeniably Important Rock Show.

The air at the sold-out show was charged with anticipation as fans of Coldplay, perhaps the biggest British band currently touring, milled about and texted each other excitedly.

The band didn't disappoint, tearing through a 90-minute set that featured spirited performances and high-tech stagecraft.

Frontman Chris Martin seemed both completely at ease – joking with the audience, grinning – and utterly in control. He bounded from one end of the stage to the other and onto the two wings projecting into the crowd.

Band members as a whole took pains to project themselves out into the audience as well, performing semi-acoustically not only at the edge of the stage for one song, but even journeying to the back of the AAC for another.

The band sampled its four albums fairly evenly, although their latest, Viva la Vida, may have gotten a bit more attention.

Although the band has been trending toward a more electric sound (witness the steam-hammer "Politik"), Mr. Martin spent plenty of time at his piano (the hit "Fix You," from Viva's predecessor, X&Y).

Large globes were suspended over the stage; in them were projected colors, patterns, and footage of the band members appearing in dizzying montages.

The high point was what seemed to be millions of multicolored paper butterflies fluttered down from above, a brilliant display of pixilated psychedelia that left the crowd's eyes as overwhelmed as its ears.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/ent/stories/DN-coldplay_1121gd.State.Edition1.1e64bc9.html

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest LiquidSky

W-O-W! Thanks:stunned:

The Story

My husband and I agreed to go the AAC early yesterday to see if we could run into the band before they entered the arena. We honestly had no idea what we were doing or where we were going...but we were determined to try! We parked and walked over to the arena around 2:00. It didn't look good at first; there was no obvious entry point for the band. We continued to circle around the arena and we ended up seeing a sign for the Best Buy Reward Zone meeting area. We actually bought our tickets through the Best Buy thing, although we were pretty sure that we weren't invited to any sound check party. ;)

Since we were already there, we just made the decision to stay and see if we could get in. They were starting to check people in around 3, so my husband ran to the car to drop off our stuff (we had brought a backpack full of books to read because we thought we'd be sitting around for hours!). Once he came back, we went up to the tent. We weren't on the list, but we begged the guy who was in charge to let us in. Unfortunately, he said he wasn't going to be able to let us in. We started to walk away dejected. I stopped and turned, we saw a women walking quickly toward us. She asked if we were big fans of the band, which was probably obvious considering I was wearing a homemade "V" shirt and carrying a copy of VLV on vinyl, and then I noticed she had two passes in her hand! She was letting us in! I couldn't believe it and we were both so excited. She told us we were going to watch the sound check and then get to meet and take pictures with the band...we were sooo extremely lucky and she was sooo nice to let us in. So, we had to wait about 30 minutes, get our security lecture from Jackie (who was awesome!), and finally, we all got marched into the arena and sat down.

Once we got in, the whole thing was a little weird because the Best Buy people were very strict with us. We didn't get to sit in front of the band, as you'll see from the pics of the sound check, but we were sitting on Jonny's side of the stage a couple of levels up. I guess it’s understandable, and regardless, it was still really amazing that we got to be there in the first place! The band came out about 15 minutes later; Chris said hi and made some jokes (which you can see in the sound check videos someone already posted). They checked Life in Technicolor II, Prospekt's March, played Green Eyes by request, and practiced Violet Hill. Their run-throughs of the new songs were great. Even so, Chris apologized several times for the sound check; it was really funny. When they were done rehearsing, they walked to the middle of the floor for the pictures. The Best Buy folks called us down one row at a time, and we were in the second row.

When it was our turn to walk up, I got very, very nervous. I never thought for a second that we'd actually meet them that day! I walked up to Will and shook his hand, and said, "Hi Will". He smiled and said, "Hi, nice to meet you" and it seemed that he liked the fact that I knew who he was. Next was Chris, and having a huge crush on the man, I shook his hand and said, "Hi Chris" and kind of stopped cold from shyness right in front of him. He smiled at me, and then I saw him do a double-take at my shirt. He said, "You have a V on your shirt", and I smiled and said, "Yes, I do!” Then he said, "I like that" and I said, "Thank you!” He was very sweet to me. I was far too embarrassed to say anything else and by then it was time to take the pictures. I was just kind of standing there lost in my own world, and then I felt these hands on my arms, and I was like, "WTF?” Then I heard Will's voice! He was positioning me for the picture! He told me, "You can move up into this little spot" and guided me there. Realizing that Will had just man-handled me in the absolute nicest way possible and then having the first picture taken; I had a feeling I had this weird look of disbelief on my face. And, you can absolutely see that in the first picture especially. Also, my husband hoped that at least one of his opinions would make it into this review, so here it is: "Will is the champion...the champion of kindness!”

While I was standing there in between pictures, I could turn my head and see Guy right over my left shoulder and Jonny standing just on the other side of him. One thing that surprised me about all of them, but especially Guy, was how thin they looked in person. Also, that Will and Jonny seem to always look the same (they looked the same in pictures as they do in person), Guy looks very handsome up close, and Chris looks so completely normal, just like a regular guy you might see out somewhere. At one point, I heard Chris and Guy talking about how "bizarre" the strictness of the event was, and in my opinion they seemed kind of put-off by how fast it was all moving. We took 3 pictures total, and in the last one I looked back at something (I don't even know what), but it looks like I'm looking at Chris, so it's very, very funny to us. My husband is the one standing to the left of Will in the back row. The whole thing happened so fast that when the pictures were over, I was so happy about talking to Chris and the thing with Will, that I completely forgot to shake hands with Guy and Jonny. We got back to our seats and a few minutes later, all the groups were done. The guys started to walk backstage, and Chris walked by the crowd and thanked us for meeting with them and said, "We like meeting people; we never get to meet anyone. It's very lonely!" or something to that affect. We left the stadium close to 5:30.

My husband and I went back to hotel to change and refresh ourselves from the day’s events, and got back to the arena just as Jon Hopkins took the stage. We were sitting on the floor right next to the sound booth. Jon's visual show was amazing! The illustrations were fascinating and the music was great. The boys took the stage around 9:12 or so, and as Life in Technicolor began, we saw a blond woman being ushered out right in front of our section toward the sound booth. It was Gwyneth! She was about 20 feet to our left and we could see her the whole time. We took a couple of blurry photos of her and a funny short video of her dancing at the end of "Viva la Vida". She sang along and bopped the entire time. The show itself was amazing...the band was on fire; Chris was charming and still making Joe the Plumber jokes, and talking about how bad the band smells. During The Scientist on the C-stage, he made the Guns N Roses - Dr. Pepper joke and ended the last line of the song with the beginning of GnR's Paradise City. The link to the video is at the end of this post.

Well, that's it...sorry it's so long! Here is the link to view my pictures. Oh yeah, on the way walking back to our car, we were walking by some fancy shops near the W hotel and we saw an art gallery called Christopher Martin's and had to take a picture of that too.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11109942@N06/sets/72157609579827548/

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Se8soMDx1k]YouTube - Coldplay - The Scientist (Live Acoustic @ Dallas, Texas)[/ame]

Thanks for reading!

OMG! Prospekt's! :heart:

My husband and I agreed to go the AAC early yesterday to see if we could run into the band before they entered the arena. We honestly had no idea what we were doing or where we were going...but we were determined to try! We parked and walked over to the arena around 2:00. It didn't look good at first; there was no obvious entry point for the band. We continued to circle around the arena and we ended up seeing a sign for the Best Buy Reward Zone meeting area. We actually bought our tickets through the Best Buy thing, although we were pretty sure that we weren't invited to any sound check party. ;)

Since we were already there, we just made the decision to stay and see if we could get in. They were starting to check people in around 3, so my husband ran to the car to drop off our stuff (we had brought a backpack full of books to read because we thought we'd be sitting around for hours!). Once he came back, we went up to the tent. We weren't on the list, but we begged the guy who was in charge to let us in. Unfortunately, he said he wasn't going to be able to let us in. We started to walk away dejected. I stopped and turned, we saw a women walking quickly toward us. She asked if we were big fans of the band, which was probably obvious considering I was wearing a homemade "V" shirt and carrying a copy of VLV on vinyl, and then I noticed she had two passes in her hand! She was letting us in! I couldn't believe it and we were both so excited. She told us we were going to watch the sound check and then get to meet and take pictures with the band...we were sooo extremely lucky and she was sooo nice to let us in. So, we had to wait about 30 minutes, get our security lecture from Jackie (who was awesome!), and finally, we all got marched into the arena and sat down.

Once we got in, the whole thing was a little weird because the Best Buy people were very strict with us. We didn't get to sit in front of the band, as you'll see from the pics of the sound check, but we were sitting on Jonny's side of the stage a couple of levels up. I guess it’s understandable, and regardless, it was still really amazing that we got to be there in the first place! The band came out about 15 minutes later; Chris said hi and made some jokes (which you can see in the sound check videos someone already posted). They checked Life in Technicolor II, Prospekt's March, played Green Eyes by request, and practiced Violet Hill. Their run-throughs of the new songs were great. Even so, Chris apologized several times for the sound check; it was really funny. When they were done rehearsing, they walked to the middle of the floor for the pictures. The Best Buy folks called us down one row at a time, and we were in the second row.

When it was our turn to walk up, I got very, very nervous. I never thought for a second that we'd actually meet them that day! I walked up to Will and shook his hand, and said, "Hi Will". He smiled and said, "Hi, nice to meet you" and it seemed that he liked the fact that I knew who he was. Next was Chris, and having a huge crush on the man, I shook his hand and said, "Hi Chris" and kind of stopped cold from shyness right in front of him. He smiled at me, and then I saw him do a double-take at my shirt. He said, "You have a V on your shirt", and I smiled and said, "Yes, I do!” Then he said, "I like that" and I said, "Thank you!” He was very sweet to me. I was far too embarrassed to say anything else and by then it was time to take the pictures. I was just kind of standing there lost in my own world, and then I felt these hands on my arms, and I was like, "WTF?” Then I heard Will's voice! He was positioning me for the picture! He told me, "You can move up into this little spot" and guided me there. Realizing that Will had just man-handled me in the absolute nicest way possible and then having the first picture taken; I had a feeling I had this weird look of disbelief on my face. And, you can absolutely see that in the first picture especially. Also, my husband hoped that at least one of his opinions would make it into this review, so here it is: "Will is the champion...the champion of kindness!”

While I was standing there in between pictures, I could turn my head and see Guy right over my left shoulder and Jonny standing just on the other side of him. One thing that surprised me about all of them, but especially Guy, was how thin they looked in person. Also, that Will and Jonny seem to always look the same (they looked the same in pictures as they do in person), Guy looks very handsome up close, and Chris looks so completely normal, just like a regular guy you might see out somewhere. At one point, I heard Chris and Guy talking about how "bizarre" the strictness of the event was, and in my opinion they seemed kind of put-off by how fast it was all moving. We took 3 pictures total, and in the last one I looked back at something (I don't even know what), but it looks like I'm looking at Chris, so it's very, very funny to us. My husband is the one standing to the left of Will in the back row. The whole thing happened so fast that when the pictures were over, I was so happy about talking to Chris and the thing with Will, that I completely forgot to shake hands with Guy and Jonny. We got back to our seats and a few minutes later, all the groups were done. The guys started to walk backstage, and Chris walked by the crowd and thanked us for meeting with them and said, "We like meeting people; we never get to meet anyone. It's very lonely!" or something to that affect. We left the stadium close to 5:30.

My husband and I went back to hotel to change and refresh ourselves from the day’s events, and got back to the arena just as Jon Hopkins took the stage. We were sitting on the floor right next to the sound booth. Jon's visual show was amazing! The illustrations were fascinating and the music was great. The boys took the stage around 9:12 or so, and as Life in Technicolor began, we saw a blond woman being ushered out right in front of our section toward the sound booth. It was Gwyneth! She was about 20 feet to our left and we could see her the whole time. We took a couple of blurry photos of her and a funny short video of her dancing at the end of "Viva la Vida". She sang along and bopped the entire time. The show itself was amazing...the band was on fire; Chris was charming and still making Joe the Plumber jokes, and talking about how bad the band smells. During The Scientist on the C-stage, he made the Guns N Roses - Dr. Pepper joke and ended the last line of the song with the beginning of GnR's Paradise City. The link to the video is at the end of this post.

Well, that's it...sorry it's so long! Here is the link to view my pictures. Oh yeah, on the way walking back to our car, we were walking by some fancy shops near the W hotel and we saw an art gallery called Christopher Martin's and had to take a picture of that too.

YouTube - Coldplay - The Scientist (Live Acoustic @ Dallas, Texas)

Thanks for reading!

The guy behind them is my Geometry teacher! :laugh3::laugh3::laugh3:

venuslovebug2, were you there at the best buy booth asking what it was for? was there another girl with brown hair standing to your right at the time? I think I was there while you 2 were asking them questions. But it could have been another guy and girl. I was there asking if there was gonna be a soundcheck. Then ran off to wave the band in. But I didn't think we could have gotten in. Good job!

Postcards and Viva. My fav of the videos I took from the nosebleeds:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHAlP4zLvbQ]YouTube - Coldplay Postcards From Far Away Dallas 11-19-08[/ame]

There is some great Chris and Jonny love! It's also posted in their thread along with a scenario I made up.

venuslovebug2, were you there at the best buy booth asking what it was for? was there another girl with brown hair standing to your right at the time? I think I was there while you 2 were asking them questions. But it could have been another guy and girl. I was there asking if there was gonna be a soundcheck. Then ran off to wave the band in. But I didn't think we could have gotten in. Good job!

After reading the updates here, I thought that might have been you, but I wasn't sure! Yeah, it was definitely us. We remember you too! What a coincidence!

YouTube - Coldplay - The Scientist (Live Acoustic @ Dallas, Texas)

Thanks for reading!

Hey, your Coldplay pictures are set to private on Flickr. Care to make them public, pretty please? :-)

Angie and Lori saw the boys drive in. They said it was very hard to see through the windows but they think they saw Will and Guy and that Franksie waved to them:P

Fo sho saw Will and waved to him (while holding my Jonny banner:P). Guy was next to him wearing sunglasses and looking out the other window. Could not see through the tinted windows of the other SUV. Angie figures Chris and Jonny were in there and I'm sure she's right. But I couldn't see in there. So I was standing there with my banner, kind of smiling then just looking around like where's Jonny? I was probably playing with my hair or something, the whole while Jonny is right there behind that tinted glass. DOH! I probably looked like a huge dork. Oh well.

Yeay! So Will saw Angie's Southampton jersey? (or is she not wearing it tonight?)

And what signs do they have today???

No, she had a purple striped shirt on. I had the same Reign of Jonny sign I carry around to all the shows!:lol: Angie made a new Jon sign and a sign thanking them for the 20 shows she has seen (including that night).

coldplay Karma comin her way, Everyone send the Coldplay vibes Lori's way, all together now people!!!

*sending good Coldplay vibes to Lori!!!*

Awwwwwwwwww, thanks SO much you guys. I did try several tactics. But I was really tired from only getting one hour of sleep (was too excited to sleep)and Mel is way better at talking to people than I am. I'm pretty shy. Plus, I just ran out of steam and gave up after a while. I probably could of snuck back in by Angie after it started. But Mike requested LIT phone call, and I didn't wanna be pushy or distract Angie, etc etc. I could have bugged Oxfam Pete, and several roadies, but they looked so busy yesterday. I roamed the main concourse several times (passing Pete each time :laugh3:) and couldn't find the upgraders. Except for this one suspicious-looking guy with a Viva pass. But when we asked him, he said he wasn't an upgrader. I think he was lying b/c he had a list with numbers on it. But who knows.

*vibesvibesvibes*

question.

how does angie ALWAYS have RoL area seats?!

I just read this whole thread. She bought them by paying triple price on StubHub.

maybe Lori can spot someone official looking and just ASK for the floor tix lol

Tried, sigh. Could not find them. They were probably on the upper concourse.

oooooh, ColdplayCarma by the bucketful to Lori.... They've got to feel the jonnyfansupervibe in her from from all the way up there!!!! C'mon guys, let's get her a great ticket!!!!!! (and same for you spatel, have a blast)

Heehee thanks Kelly! Mabe I should have stayed in my nosebleed seat from the start? Cause I never found the upgraders.

Maybe J felt something coming from 323. When they walked over for the acoustic set (which was directly below me) he looked up and waved at my section. :D That was nice and made me smile of course. He does seem to detect Jonnylove. He always glances at Angie's camera many times in her videos. :dance:

LORI IS SUCKING FACE WITH OXFAM PETE!!!!!!!!!

nah...but Sleepercar is over

Ahahahahhahaaa! I think Mel put this in here b/c of this text I sent her:

"Waiting by a wall watching for update guys to walk by. Pete just walked by and saw me. He smiled and waved to me."

We said hi and talked to him earlier, after he was done giving his talk to the volunteers. He remembers us. Esp. Angie! She just saw him in Houston the night before. Not to mention Orlando and Ft. lauderdale. Heehee!

ANGIE IS SUCKING JONNY'S GIANT

oh wait...Jon Hopkins is over

Oh sure, she gets Jonny and I get Pete!?!?!?! :P J/K. But really, Pete is cute. But I will let Chavi, Carla, and/or Noelia have him. Did I miss any Pete fans?:laugh3:

And when Angie is willing to share, (or is sleeping :sneaky:) I get Jonny!!!!!:P

After reading the updates here, I thought that might have been you, but I wasn't sure! Yeah, it was definitely us. We remember you too! What a coincidence!

Did you have brown hair in a ponytail? I think? I may have butted in there. Sorry if I did, I can't remember clearly. I was really in a hurry just to find out if there was gonna be a soundcheck b/c then the boys would be there earlier. Dang, I should have tried to talk to the lady behind the table. She seemed nice. But I didn't wanna miss my chance to wave to the band. And I got to do that, thanks to the nice lady at the Best Buy table telling me they would soundcheck.