21-Nov-08: Denver - Tickets, Preview, Meetups, Review/Photos

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oooooh a queen.....I could get used to this:D

not just Queen, PERV QUEEN!:D:dance::whip::wacky:

SOCK FOOT ! lmfao!

OMG! Where is Lori? She'd be ALL over this one!!!

:laugh3:

Oh no you didn't!!!!!!!!!

BAM!

lb231.jpg

:D:D:D:wacky:

ahahaa In Dallas she woke up that morning missing a sock. She was looking everywhere. Thought the sock foot gods were punishing her for all her pervy sock foot thoughts. :laugh3::laugh3:

Tis the truth! I love that sock foot of his.

:oMaybe one day we will get to see both of his sock feet in a picture?!?!:D

Denver and back to Dallas.

No. Not physically. That would be very silly. That’s a long old drive. Plus, let’s face it. There is not much to look at on the way. I spent much of the trip in the darkened cocoon of my bunk. The rest, faced with the slow realisation, as I peered out of the bus window, that this country is just vast. As soon as we headed out into that nothingness the day after the Dallas show.. the temperature dropped. We eventually hit the Colorado mountains on the way into Denver, and it fell again. Tumbled even. -6 last night (20 Farenheit I think.. crikey). Nothing like the heat of Dallas.

Back in Dallas, Texas, it was more like a summer’s night than a winter freeze. No scarfs required. No jackets even. I was sweltering when I donned the Oxfam jacket to go and meet the patiently waiting volunteers. It was another night of activity for them. Getting the word out there, meeting fans, explaining Oxfam’s work and getting excited about the show ahead. One of them came back afterwards, and described the concert simply as “life-changing”. There are a lot of happy fans leaving these venues once the confetti has fallen.

The same volunteer was telling me about how 1 in 3 children in her town in Texas, goes to bed hungry. It’s just two hours drive from the polished arena where the show was held. That is astonishing. I have learnt so much about this country on my trip with the tour. I am pleased to say that Oxfam also works to overcome poverty here in America too. It’s amazing how poverty can often go so unseen. This is not a poor country. But poverty exists here. It must not be ignored. Hopefully Oxfam’s presence on this tour, can help to improve awareness of poverty, and make it less invisible.

Denver is not a place I know much about. Not that I knew much about Dallas either.. I heard it’s a mile above sea level, which might explain part of that temperature tumble. I know it’s home of the Broncos too.. Today we sit in the warmth of another huge modern arena. It’s just a fairground away from that Broncos stadium, which sits under the watchful eye of those mountains. Today, this will be the home of Coldplay, and 20 Oxfam volunteers, of course.

Oh.. I just wanted to share this with you. I couldn’t help laughing earlier, when I saw the catering area being hoovered before lunch. The hoover (vacuum) was strapped to the back of a busy person, looking more like a proton pack out of Ghostbusters, than a cleaning device. I half expected Peter Venkman and Egon Spengler to appear and fight the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man..

http://www.oxfamblogs.org/coldplay/?p=109

Coldplay blends classic, edgy

At the risk of echoing past reviews of Coldplay, it's really easy to forget what a good band it is. The songs all over the radio and on the group's four albums are so neatly tailored that it's always a refreshing surprise to see Coldplay live and be rocked, be it the early years at the Fillmore Auditorium or Friday night's show at the Pepsi Center.

Granted, Coldplay salted the set early with hits, including the classic Clocks, which has become more muscular with age - largely because of drummer Will Champion, who happily doubled on guitar and vocals during acoustic songs.

But the crowd was down with everything from the first note, be it album cuts or the single When I Ruled the World. In a moment of time when the news seems to be unrelentingly bleak, there's a lot to be said for a packed auditorium of music fans singing lustily and joyously along with a strong set.

It's also refreshing to see a band using common sense in the staging of a concert. Every high-tech bell and whistle was there - the gigantic big screen, floating picture orbs and enough lasers to make The Who very happy. But it was just used in a smarter way, with ramps extending into the audience near the front, and additional big-screens hung halfway back so the rear of the house felt intimate as well. They headed to the rear of the arena for another mini-set, starting with The Scientist.

"This gives everybody at the front the chance to Blackberry their friends and say 'Gee, man, we overpaid,' " singer Chris Martin joked.

Martin has steadily grown as a frontman, intense but jerky in his early days, relaxed and fun these days. He effortlessly commands the stage, where nothing feels forced or planned. He manages to convey a combination of goofiness and warmth, a far cry from the aloof image that the media has painted of him for his ambitious writing or the person he chose to marry.

The band took the stage a bit later than planned, and at press time, encores still were ahead. If recent shows are any indication, the band's first hit, Yellow, was likely to have made up a big part of that.

Jon Hopkins opened with a hypnotic electronic set, accompanied by animation on a big screen that was at the same time up-to-the-minute but also echoed the days of the old San Francisco psychedelic ballroom scene. He could have used a bigger screen, but fans were still surprisingly receptive to the edgy set.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/nov/21/coldplay-blends-classic-edgy/

I didn't find a review but I did find a Chris spotting

Ralph and I decided it was necessary to eat breakfast at 1 am, so we hit up Denver Diner.

After sitting for just minutes, no other than fucking Chris Martin is waiting at the register. He kept on looking at me and began to wave for a moment, realizing he had mistaken me with someone else completely.

Anyway, the moral of my story is that Chris Martin is a well-known vegetarian and was eating at Denver Diner of all places, where they serve liver and onions on the menu.

I rest my case.

But that was totally surreal. He is really good looking and surprisingly tall. Yay for random run-ins eh?

http://purgatoryct.livejournal.com/63212.html

same old setlist

Life In Technicolor

Violet Hill

Clocks

In My Place

Speed Of Sound

Cemeteries Of London

Chinese Sleep Chant

Fix You

Strawberry Swing

God Put A Smile Upon Your Face (techno version) :(

Talk (techno remix)

The Hardest Part

Postcards From Far Away (piano instrumental)

Viva La Vida

Lost!

The Scientist (acoustic)

Death Will Never Conquer (acoustic - Will singing)

Viva La Vida (remix interlude)

First Encore

Politik

Lovers In Japan

Death And All His Friends

Second Encore

Yellow

The Escapist (outro)

Good show. Chris was in high spirits, all over the place, and full of energy. When they came through the Pepsi center during the X+Y tour it felt like we were just another stop but last night they gave a bit more effort. Chris talked a bit during slow bits and he did indeed rip his pants (never noticed during the show), the video screen cameras focused in on the black duct tape wrapped around it during Yellow encore and his quick talk about it (upper leg i think).

Funny how some songs worked better then others now. The Hardest Part of course really works better acoustically and songs like Speed Of Sound, Cemeteries Of London, Chinese Sleep Chant, and Lovers In Japan were highlights.

Still not happy about all backing tapes and having the tinges of doubt on certain songs that its Jonny doing all the guitar sounds but it was a better show than I was fearing. It's still a much different experience then being in front rows during the AROBTTH so its hard to compare the two. But it was a good show and all the fans appeared quite satisfied.

Coldplay @ Pepsi Center

Justin and I went to the Coldplay show last night and really enjoyed their set. On paper, Coldplay’s sound shouldn’t translate to an arena stage but their catalog really comes to life in a live setting. Their secret weapon is drummer Will Champion. Chris Martin recently called Will the greatest drummer in rock music and now I know why. They opened with four huge hits including Violet Hill, Clocks, In My Place and Speed of Sound before settling in to a groove with a slew of album tracks. I was heartbroken they didn’t play my absolute favorite song Trouble, but they are still one hell of a band. Check out Mark Brown’s review from the Rocky if you want to read more about the show. He’s a better writer than I am.

I spotted the JACK-FM vehicle in the parking lot before the show and surprised my former street teamers Jared and Lauren. We gossiped about radio for a while and it was good to see them. If you are in the mood for a little Coldplay, check out In My Place and Lovers In Japan.

http://defkennyt.blogspot.com/2008/11/coldplay-pepsi-center.html

It was a great, great, great show.

The tracklist has already been posted, so I won't copy it again... but overall the band put a lot of energy into it.

I saw them last time at their X&Y tour, and they were great then... i think they've further tuned their live sound, however.

They also played a longer set.

They were full of energy the whole time, and "Death and All His Friends" made me cry.

The one gripe I had with the show was the crowd... it was possibly the most unenergetic crowd I've ever seen at a show, and I've been to 30+ shows (I'm only 16, mind you)... the crowd was just dreadful.

No one moved at all for "Life In Technicolor" or "Violet Hill", and I thought maybe it was just 'cause they didn't know the songs as well (an odd excuse, I know)... but then Coldplay hammered out "Clocks", and STILL no one moved.

In ALL of the floor section, I saw maybe five or six people moving around. (The floor section consists of probably 50 rows of 30 people (if not more), to give you an idea of how many were there. And seriously, less than 10 showed any energy.

Which made ME, a diehard Coldplay fan, pretty much lose it.

My anger was at its peak when Chris Martin was out on one of his crowd-walkways and he was LITERALLY 3-4 feet away from all of the people, who were just standing there motionless, without any energy whatsoever.

Also, during "The Hardest Part", almost all of my section (we were on the first section, with pretty good seats) sat down.

It was HORRIBLY frustrating.

I think most of the reason is because it was an old crowd... probably resulting from the ticket prices that were much higher this go around.

So overall, great show, great set, great everything, TOTALLY worth the money. But by far the worst crowd I've ever seen.

Just a question: Has anyone else experienced the same problem?