✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

6-Dec-08 - Glasgow, SECC - Tickets, Preview, Meetups, Review/Photos

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last night was absolutely fucking amazing

They are by far the best live band i've seen, and they put on the best show i've ever seen at a gig aswell

10/10

So happy Chris Played The Hardest Part and Green Eyes :D

And Will has an excellent Voice!

Start time?

Hi there,

Just sorting our travel arrangements for Tuesday (yay!) and was wondering what time the band came on stage? How long did they end up playing for (got to make sure I make the last train back to Edinburgh!).

Not heard much about the support but are they worth going early for?

Thanks!

Chris

Music Review: Coldplay

COLDPLAY ****

SECC, GLASGOW

SO REVERED are Coldplay that they practically simply have to turn up at gigs to stoke their fans. Indeed, at times here it felt as if Chris Martin could have just knocked off early, in such good voice was his audience, to the point of almost drowningADVERTISEMENTthe singer out.

Yet this was a performance with surprising heart, soul, energy and even intimacy from a band often knocked for being expertly bland. We did get all the predictable arena rock tricks – giant balloons bouncing around during Yellow; an acoustic interlude which saw all four members appear on a podium at the back of the hall; coloured confetti falling from the ceiling come the encore.

But there were many more revelatory moments: old songs were tinkered with gleefully (God Put a Smile Upon Your Face and Talk got a ravey electronic makeover); new songs were played with a degree of heart that belied the drabness of Coldplay's fourth album Viva La Vida (or Death And All His Friends).

Martin is an endearingly hardworking and imperfect frontman live – his piano bashing was discordantly overeager at times; as the final chorus of Lovers In Japan kicked in, his vocals were way off-key, and with a frank laugh he admitted it: "F**k, I'm completely out of tune."

The show reached it's apogee following Viva La Vida, as the crowd continued to bellow the song's wordless melodic refrain long after it had finished, Martin lying prone on his back at the end of a runway, for once speechless.

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com

I was just reading Roadie #42blog on the coldplay website about this gig.He mentioned that the fans were singing the guitar parts as well as the actual songs! I'm beginning to think this is some sort of tradition whenever a band play the SECC. I saw Arcade Fire play there last year and the fans did exactly the same thing.Everyone was singing the violin part of Rebellion(Lies) even after the band had stopped singing the song haha.It must be a scottish thing! :P

I was just reading Roadie #42blog on the coldplay website about this gig.He mentioned that the fans were singing the guitar parts as well as the actual songs! I'm beginning to think this is some sort of tradition whenever a band play the SECC. I saw Arcade Fire play there last year and the fans did exactly the same thing.Everyone was singing the violin part of Rebellion(Lies) even after the band had stopped singing the song haha.It must be a scottish thing! :P

Its definitly a Scottish thing I think lol. Heard it last night during Kings Of Leon's (sublime) Slow Night So Long and also during Franz Ferdinand's Take Me Out. I think we just like to sing and a lack of words ain't gonna stop us :D

Was a great gig Kev! They are just so cool it's unbelievable lol

I was at arcade fire at the SECC too! That was awesome! And so funny you mentioned it because i thought to myself on saturday that was what it was like when everyone was singing Viva la vida! :D

Only disppointment for me was that they never played Arizona! Probably my fav tune of theirs!! Was great despite that mind you. Even the 45 minute wait to get out the car park didn't annoy me (2 nights in a row!!)

Arcade Fire. Now there's a gig I would have loved to have been at. Nearest I got was U2 using Wake up as their intro music on the last tour :D

Yeah I know someone that was at that gig (are we talking Arcade Fire here?) and raved about it. Eventually got me into the band hearing her rave about them.

Having a bit of a come down moment here lol. Had a run of 5 gigs in 3 weeks. Next one isn't till the end of Jan so I'll be twiddling my thumbs for a while now :(

Cool pics! Was really thinking about going to Coldplay tomorrow cos I could have got a seat in the 5th row slap in the front middle section today but I really can't afford it. Need to be Hampden for my next Coldplay fix :(

• 2 weeks later...

Coldplay frontman hands it to Ayr pupil

IT’S THE stuff dreams are made of...

One of the biggest musical superstars of this generation walks over to you at a concert packed with 10,000 screaming fans and hands you one of his personal possessions.

But for nine-year-old Euan Bruce, it’s a reality.

The Ayr Grammar pupil couldn’t believe his luck when his hero Chris Martin clocked him sitting in the front row of Coldplay’s sell-out gig at the SECC last Saturday night.

And before he left the stage, the singer songwriter walked over to Euan and handed him the harmonica he had been playing throughout the gig.

Euan’s thrilled mum Gillian said: “We couldn’t believe it. We were sitting at what we thought was the back of the floored seating area, but there was a small stage behind us and Coldplay came on to that stage to perform a couple of songs at the start of the concert.

“We could see Chris Martin really staring at Euan when he came on to the stage. Then before they left he came over and handed the harmonica to him. Lots of people were trying to grab it so Chris pulled it back before placing it firmly in Euan’s hand.”

Starstruck Euan was speechless at the big-hearted gesture.

Gillian continued: “He fell asleep on the way home clutching the harmonica, it was so sweet. But he hasn’t told any of his friends about it at school, Euan is really shy and has kept it to himself – I’ve been telling everyone though!”

Music daft Euan rates Coldplay, Snow Patrol and The Proclaimers as his favourite bands.

He’s started guitar lessons and is learning to play the drums - and it’s only a matter of time before he’s mastered the harmonica too.

And what does Euan want to be when he grows up? A singer songwriter like his new pal Chris Martin of course.

http://www.ayrshirepost.net/