✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

First... and last Instrumental from Coldplay?

Well to celebrate this new section, let's kick it off with a new thread!

Do you think Coldplay will ever do an instrumental track like LIT again? Or will this be the last one for a long while yet?

Personally I hope they don't hesitate from trying more instrumental tracks in the future - they pulled this one off brilliantly :D

Discuss!

I'd love to see more instrumentals not only to start off an album but in the middle of albums as well. One of my biggest issues with X&Y was that instruments would build and build, but they would never get the spotlight because Chris would sing over them (What if, Low, for example). That problem has been corrected somewhat on VLV (The middle of 42, parts of DAAHF and Yes, and even going so far as to use Chris's voice as an instrument on Chinese Sleep Chant), but on the next album I'd like to see them extend this idea to full-fledged multi-minute instrumentals like Doves or The Flaming Lips might do.

I'd say they're heading in the right direction, though. And it's about time Coldplay's instruments start getting some attention.

Edit: And now that I see the poll choices, I'll add this. Instrumentals shouldn't be done just for the sake of being "musical" or "experimental". Life in Technicolor is a genuinely good and pleasing song, and it never feels like it's been added just to aim at some musical credibility.

I can't believe they left is as an instrumental track. The reason being that the build in that song is incredible, and dare I say it, better than Where The Streets Have No Name. When the drums start bubbling in, you just sit there waiting for it to explode.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think its brilliant but maybe if they do it again (and soon) it will seem tried and boring. Like its done it before. They kinda re-invented themselves with an instrumental but there gonna have to do something different. But in a few albums times it would be better not to. Just think 110 album songs and only one is instrumental. It just makes it that much more special.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...