🌙 COLDPLAY ANNOUNCE MOON MUSIC OUT OCTOBER 4TH 🎵

Tame Impala

deaths_friend

First there was Jet then Wolfmother and now Tame Impala. the classic rock and roll sound has become the key to success in the Australian alternative scene, which in the case of Jet and Wolfmother has led to worldwide success. Tame Impala bring a great 8 track sound to the table, you can very much tell from their debut EP that they have grown up listening to Led Zeppelin, Cream and psychedelic rock. They are signed to the same record label (Modular Recordings) as Cut Copy and Wolfmother and internationally the Klaxons.

Here are 3 songs from their debut EP. it was released in October 2008 and went to the top of the local EP charts.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HN5mn_89asw]YouTube - Tame Impala - Skeleton Tiger -[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkceZKRotTo]YouTube - Tame Impala - Desire Be, Desire Go (Modular Recordings)[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koCcgvLcoM4]YouTube - TAME IMPALA - Half Full Glass Of Wine[/ame]

i'm sure fans of the Beatles, early Pink Floyd and Led Zep will thoroughly enjoy this.

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're going to see them? Awesome. Wait are they touring? I might go see them to. Only they'll probably play in an 18 place so...bit of a problem.

Yeah you cant really judge a band by how Living End fans feel about them. I was a little disappointed when I bought their latest album.

Still haven't listened to them :P

• 9 months later...

Tame Impala anyone..?

Modern day 70's inspired Australian psychedelic rock band with a singer that sounds like John Lennon. :thumbsup:

http://www.myspace.com/tameimpala

New single - Solitude Is Bliss

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxvf7gR4-2M]YouTube- Tame Impala - Solitude is Bliss[/ame]

I've been playing their s/titled EP like blinking crazy these last few months, it's a work of genius. The album Innerspeaker less so, but is still really damn good and well worth a listen.

Here's something from pitchfork:

Solitude is Bliss

Runway House City Clouds

:D

I hope there's someone else out there digging this shit...

Reverb? It's flanger isnt it? They seem to use the shit out of that function to get that wavering sound...

Loving the crap out of this band. Listening to the album now, bought it last Friday. Brilliant!

Wait until Deaths_Friend finds this forum he loves them more!!

will be up soon. i think i still have the rar somewhere.

THANK YOU :D

Aw, that's a nice little review. Totally agree with this..

There aren't any standout singles on Innerspeaker in the sense that it's unlikely that people are going to be asking you to throw on certain tracks by name

I thought the whole album all flows really well together, but of course the downside of that is that it's hard to distinguish certain songs. But it's different from saying all the songs sound the same, like you get on some album, with Innerspeaker it's more that the tracks blend so well together.

THANK YOU :D

Aw, that's a nice little review. Totally agree with this..

I thought the whole album all flows really well together, but of course the downside of that is that it's hard to distinguish certain songs. But it's different from saying all the songs sound the same, like you get on some album, with Innerspeaker it's more that the tracks blend so well together.

I got a friend to listen to innerspeaker yesterday and his response was much the same. He thought all the tracks were all very similar. But to me that's what makes an album great. For me an album is alot like a movie. If a movie was a mix of slapstck comedy, serious romance, violent war scenes and hardcore sex. I really don't think it would work. In the same way as an album that crosses 10 different genres doesn't work. I struggle to differentiate between some of the tracks on in rainbows but it is one of my fave albums.

Ok so here is my review of Tame Impala's debut record Innerspeaker. The band first came to prominence in early 2008 with the release of their very very successful EP since then they've brought out a couple of singles and have toured extensively. I've seen them twice to date and despite being disappointed on each occasion I've stuck with them to see the release of their first effort. This is how i hear it

It Is Not Meant To Be - the opening cut from the record sets the tone beautifully, its crisp yet lo-fi production gives the band a much needed modern touch. Far from being the most impressive track on the record it nevertheless manages to grab your attention and hold it until the start of the following epic anthem.

Desire Be Desire Go - this track is a true pysch rock anthem. notably it's the only track kept from their EP and hearing it in the context of this album, they've made the right move. the heavily treated guitars work perfectly and unlike so many other bands, they seem to know when to step off the indulgence pedals. Still is their best song.

Alter Ego - the bands show a serious case of split personality on this track. on the one side you have one of the better vocal performances from Kevin as he flexes his vocal chords to great effect. but on the other hand you have a confusing blend of distortion, rolling drums and fuzzy reverbs. the band attempts to give us the best of both worlds on Alter Ego but manages to give us the best of one and the worst of the other.

Lucidity - the way this track manages to ebb and flow over four and a half minutes is truly outstanding. for a while it chugs along at a nice pace, dominated by the vocals and not really going past a mid-tempo. then kicks in with some brilliant musicianship before falling back once again. the final moments of the track are nothing but rock n roll bliss giving us one of the genuine highlights off this record.

Why Won't You Make Up Your Mind? - exactly what i wanted to ask Kevin at this point of the record. after giving us a few moments of brilliance the album suddenly falls back into an unwanted null with this track. it is poorly produced and feels very much out of place. they would of been right in leaving this out of the record. thankfully it is the shortest track on the record, so the damage is minimal.

Solitude is Bliss - first single off the album. it's also the only track that really reminded of me any bands from the last 30 years, in this case it made me think of the strutting vibe Oasis/Kasabian did/do so very well. well this is how you strut when you're stoned out of your mind. i should also mention the excellent drumming on this, it complements the vocals impeccably.

Jeremy's Storm - the only instrumental on the album (if you dont include the 26min instrumental on the bonus disc). i must admit i am a little inclined to loving any instrumental but I have no reason not to love this one. the reverb is once again utilised in a healthy manner, a practice i hope they incorporate into their live shows very soon. above all, the guitar work is exceptional, it goes a long way to proving that there are other ways of showing that you are a genius guitarist besides shredding the balls off it everytime you pick it up. also, kudos to their production team for turning up the awesome bass line.

Expectation - aside from Desire Be this is the track of the album. besides a slow uninteresting opening 90secs once the song kicks in, it provides us with what i would call the climax of the album. not only is it intricately layered with other worldly wall of sound type vocals but it is easily the catchiest song the band has ever given us. if you are ever doubting the quality of this record, this is one track well worth repeating a few times just to get you back in the mix of things.

(not sure why the final minute of Expectation wasnt made into a separate track)

The Bold Arrow of Time - im going to make a call here and predict that this song will most certainly become the highlight of their live shows in the years to come. using a football cliche, it is a song of two halves. the first being a gentle stroll along without much fanfare. the second taking the album to new heights with some of the heaviest moments on the album. another brilliant highlight.

Runway, Houses, City, Clouds - a difficult track to analyse. on the most part it feels as though its sole purpose is to complement the tracks on either side of it but looking deeper into it you get a sense that the band really wanted to, on this track, flaunt their psychedelic prowess. the production is lush and expansive and the guitar work is drawn out and the drumming somewhat intoxicating. this must be what be what fall out boy sound like when you're stoned out of your mind.

I Don't Really Mind - there are a few ways you can end an album. you can be all melancholic and end on a depressive note. you can not really give a shit and just write another regular track. or you can do what tame impala have done here and end with some melodic up beat pop. it's a little cheesy, a little out of place and a bit repetitive. but to be honest, i really dont mind! great finish.

Overall, this is a brilliant record. yes a tad same-same and it clearly has its faults. but at the end of the day this frighteningly young band has given the world something old, something new, something borrowed and something a little blue. let's just hope these guys do last forever.

Score : 9.0/10

^ nice review :)

here is that live recording. it has a bit of the band that supported them at the end.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ewaqqo

couldnt find the rar so here is the full mp3 in a single file. full review of the album coming later tonight. briggins you can use it if you so wish.

Thanks for that, altho is it just me or is the sound not quite right :\ nvm, thanks anyway.