✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

"Lost" Tainted by Jay-Z

gilbert

I am new to this message board, and I am having great difficulty figuring out how to use it - please bare with me. I am an African-American man, and even though it has been very difficult living in this world because of the color of my skin; I have learned to embrace it , and accept the person that I am, and to understand that I had no choice in determining the color of my skin.

The fact that Jay-Z used the "N" word in his rap re-mix of "Lost," and that Chris Martin and the band allowed the word to be used in one of their most beautiful songs; I not only find this to be disgusting, but also disappointing. Black men that use the "N" word come across as ignorant and disrespectful to themselves. They seem to forget what the word meant by it's creators, racists, and slave owners of our past. It is an ugly word, and a very violent word too. And for Chris Martin and the band to allow Jay-Z to take full reign to "Lost," and insert an offensive tainted quality to the song; well, this is unforgivable and insulting to me.

I hope that this message somehow gets delivered to Chris and the band, and that they understand how I feel, and that they be more careful and attentive in the future, in listening to words that other artists insert in Coldplay songs.

hey Gilbert I agree with you to some extent but are you upset because the N word was used in a coldplay song or in general because rappers use it all the time and it never seems to be a problem......

It should not be about how people view us but about how we view ourselves and honestly using the word niggaz can mean we don't give a shit yeah we know that we're black and we damn proud of it

All in all I love Jayz's collabaration on the song.... Its the bloody brilliant

I understand the term nigga is different if you're a black person saying it...

While I don't agree withit being used anywhere, and it does sort of stand out, that's just how rappers express themselves. It would be sort of like asking one of the lamer emo bands to stop saying blood or crimson or something :P

Jay-Z is expressing his own sentiment. I think he did a pretty good job, whether or not it "belongs" in a Coldplay song.

• 3 months later...

I agree with that. I mean, I'm not black, but I don't like the use of the n-word. I see how sometimes, Africans using the word can be acceptable though.

However, I really can't stand this song. I love the original Lost!, I love the acoustic version, but I hate this version. So much so that I deleted it off my mp3 player and computer...