✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

6-Jun-2009: Sommet Center, Nashville, TN, USA

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Direct support Snow Patrol was an utter waste of time."

Seriously? Was that person paying attention? When 18 thousand plus people give an "opening act" a standing ovation, I highly doubt that they were an utter waste of time. Crazy!

Are they yours? They're great :D

yes they are! and thank you! I had great seats!

"Direct support Snow Patrol was an utter waste of time."

During Snow Patrol, hardly anyone was was walking around the arena, they were all inside listening to them, and from what I heard of them, they sounded great. I think Snow Patrol is a great addition to the opening act, since they have a lot of fans who are also Coldplay fans and vice versa.

i randomly got a free ticket to go see coldplay in nashville on saturday at the sommet center (FAAANG FINGERRRS). opening act snow patrol was very charming and irish. another thing i discovered is that i dont need to defend why i like coldplay. everyone secretly likes them.

the stage set was pretty cool. the backdrop and costumes had a french revolutionary theme, a la Viva la Vida. it was one of those shows where you are like, "this is my favorite song!" "THIS is my FAVORITE song!!" you know what i mean.

at one point towards the end of the show, the guys walked down the floor side aisle and went up to a little platform a couple rows behind my seats (a la POTS traveling band at games) to play three acoustic songs. it was a real thrill.

also, did you know that the bassist is actually REALLY cute?

http://2pznappod.blogspot.com/2009/06/coldplay.html

A Marketing Lesson from Coldplay

I took my 16 year old son to see Coldplay Saturday in Nashville. It was an incredible show. It was the first time I have seen them live. I have to say, that it rivaled some U2 shows I have been to. We were about 25 feet from the stage, so that made it all the better. I’ll try to post some iphone photos shortly.

But what struck me almost as much as the show itself, was the crowd that was there. In front of us were some crazy 30 and 40 somethings, behind us were two african american women in their 60’s, and all around was a mix of all ages and colors. I expect this from a band that has been around for a while and has fans from different generations, but this was Coldplay. They only formed as a band in 1998, and their first record was out in 2000. Their popularity has only reached the masses in the past 5 or 6 years. So how do they do it?

Yes, they have good music that is accessible to a larger audience. But I saw something more Saturday night. I saw passion, I saw thoughfulness, and I saw excellence. It reminded me of something that happens with professional athletes. When you are the best at what you do, and are passionate about it, it draws in everyone. Even if you are not a basketball fan, you stopped to watch Michael Jordan fly through the air. And while I don’t play much golf, I am mesmerized when Tiger Woods makes that impossible shot that miraculously goes in the hole.

Coldplay is doing that with their music, and it is a lesson we all can apply to what ever business you are in or product you are marketing. Do it with excellence, be purposeful and thoughtful, and most of all do it with passion. You will find that your audience and customers will grow exponentially beyond your target demographic.

http://buzzsquared.com/2009/06/08/a-marketing-lesson-from-coldplay/

Saturday night was the infamous concert...Snow Patrol opening for Coldplay! Todd, Laura, Ry, and I met up with Todd and Laura's friends at Cantina Laredo at The Gulch in downtown Nashville for dinner. It was hilarious! Good food and great company. After dinner we drove the rest of the way downtown, parked next to the Ryman and went into the Sommet Center (I now know that it is not the "Sum-It" Center, you say it "So-May" Center...just FYI). At this time we had missed the first band, the Howling Bells.

Snow Patrol was great! This was their first concert opening for Coldplay and you could tell. It was a tiny bit disorganized but overall I enjoyed it. It's hard to not be disappointed when the opening bands don't play all the songs that you want to hear, but they only have a tiny bit of time.

Next- Coldplay. Folks, I can't even begin to put into words just how much this show took my breath away. It was by far the best show I have ever seen. It was far and above every other concert on all levels- lights, sound quality, production, song selection. They were on stage for two hours and it didn't even come close to feeling like it. Our seats were really high but not all that bad. I couldn't take too many pictures because I couldn't get them to not look crappy. This is the only one that you could kind of be able to see what was going on. It was during the song "Yellow." I screamed at the top of my lungs, was singing my heart out, and had a dropped jaw at the production for the entire two hours. I would definitely love, love to see this tour show again. I balked at the price we had to pay for these tickets but now after seeing it I would gladly pay even more to see them again. I wish I had some suitable pictures from the concert to share with you, but it just didn't work very well. Not only that, but I was clapping and dancing and the camera was kinda forgotten for long periods of time. :)

Hope you all can go see Coldplay for the Viva tour. It was worth the ticket price, the travel, the food expense, the gas...it was great. If you can't find a concert to attend, go to their website and download the free LeftRightLeftRightLeft album they put out there for the fans. It's from some live concerts and it will whet your whistle for a taste!

http://www.sarahthequeen.com/belle_of_the_county/2009/06/weekend-round-up.html

Saturday was my first time seeing both Snow Patrol and Coldplay. I guess it was Snow Patrol's first-ever appearance in Nashville. Brian, mom, and I attempted to go to their in store at Grimey's, but an hour before showtime, they were already at capacity and there was already a line of 20+ people outside waiting. I wasn't too worried though because I was going to see them later that night. The lead singer seemed very grateful to be doing what they do, though I have to say I'd take his recorded vocals any day over what I heard live last night. Still, you can't deny the sonic beauty of their songs and I thought they made for a solid opener.

Coldplay is just on an entirely different level - something I'd always heard about, but never understood until last night. Chris Martin is an unbelievably smart entertainer. He had the audience in the palm of his hand throughout the entire night with witty Nashville lyric rewrites, frequent audience participation, and high energy bouncing around. He hardly ever stops moving, almost in a cartoon-character type way. I'd describe him as engaging, charming, and genuine. He came off like a humble, quirky, likable superstar that you'd want to hang out with for an afternoon. And the accent certainly doesn't hurt either! I am also intrigued by the drummer. Will have to read up on him a bit more.

Production-wise, they pulled out all the stops, such as these lovely yellow balloons they released during, of course, "Yellow," that burst into a confetti snow storm when popped. I'd seen something similar on a Kenny Chesney tour where he released "big orange balls" into the crowd (a lyric from "How Forever Feels"), though I don't remember them containing confetti.

Another genius move was playing on a stage toward the back of the venue, turning the back into the front for a couple thousand lucky fans. Not an entirely new concept, but still cool that a Platinum selling band is willing to play a few songs on a tiny stage barely big enough to contain all 4 guys.

Coldplay is one of those bands that almost everyone can agree on and appreciate. It was fun reading all of the Tweets throughout the night, especially those of artists and performers who were there, presumably to see what they could learn from Mr. Martin and Co. I also think their gesture of giving away a free live disc (9-song Left Right Left Right Left) to everyone who attends is pretty cool, especially in these tough times, though I wonder how many fans had already downloaded it from their web site, since it's been available for several weeks now.

I felt a little guilty for leaving the mom and the bro at home, since they were only in town for a short visit, but they were so pooped out from the day's earlier events that they were more than content hanging out at my place watching a movie. Definitely glad I finally got to see Coldplay live. It is indeed a unique experience. Believe the hype.

http://kristinwatson1.blogspot.com/2009/06/coldplay.html

Loved the show

I loved the show in Nashville this past Saturday!

I got a few pics and one video up here on my Flickr page: Coldplay 6/6/09

In between two of the songs, it seemed like Chris was playing part of a famous classical piece of music... anybody here recognize it? It might have been right before Viva la Vida.

In between two of the songs, it seemed like Chris was playing part of a famous classical piece of music... anybody here recognize it? It might have been right before Viva la Vida.

the song right before Viva La Vida was Postcards From Far Away ( on the Prospekt's March EP)

I loved the show in Nashville this past Saturday!

I got a few pics and one video up here on my Flickr page: Coldplay 6/6/09

http://coldplay.com/oracledetail.php?id=433&page=

that might answer your question

• 7 months later...