✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

6-Jun-2009: Sommet Center, Nashville, TN, USA

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll post a short review as I am shocked no one else has:

This was the third time I've seen the boys this year, well 2nd to be correct (November - Atlanta, May - Atlanta, Last Night - Nashville) and I'll be trekking up to Charlotte in a couple months to see them once more.

I craigslisted some tickets from a great dude in Murfressboro, TN (Shout out to Justin P.) and we had floor seats in section 6 - first row..nice

Snow Patrol OWNED the crowd. They came out to a great roar and were awesome. It was my first time seeing them and they got a standing O after their set - at this point, the place was about packed, so that was very awesome to see.

The show was fantastic as usual, but compared to the energy from the Atlanta show a few weeks ago, Chris was much more subdued and didn't have too much to say. I know that he was VERY talkative (more so than usual) in Atlanta, but that didn't take away from the night. Perhaps it was due to being back indoors for a summer show, I don't know.

I believe the Sommet Center's capacity is 18K + and there were only a handful of empty seats that I could see - we're talking packed to the brim :)

Same setlist as usual (I managed to grab one from a FOH guy at the end of the night). I also may be completely crazy, but after the Scientist, Chris seemed to walk towards the back of the stage either a little tired, discombobulated or something and when they play LIT II, they used a backing track on his vocals (maybe just the chorus). I wondered if he was starting to feel a little sick/tired, etc.

All in all, great night - LRLRL distribution was as to be expected - slow but fun. I have a few pics, but nothing mind-boggling.

The boys of Coldplay are Gods among men - that's all I can say :)

sorry it's taken so long, and not many people have posted reviews!! this is so rare!

here's mine:

Last night, I volunteered in the volunteer state with Oxfam for the third time at a Coldplay show. Since I had done it twice before, I knew what to expect and more about what we were canvassing about. There were so many people last night who asked me & my partner detailed questions about Oxfam’s campaign on climate change, like what we were going to do about it, how it would help in the long run, and things like that. But luckily we knew all the answers to them! Of course there were the groups of people who let us talk for a long time then decided they didn’t want to sign, and people who asked where their seats were. Though it was a bit frustrating, overall our group did great. I can’t remember the number of signatures we got, but it was very high. I’m sure Soha will update us with it later.

After 3 hours of canvassing, it was time to meet up, get our tickets and find our seats. The tickets said “behind stage”, which didn’t sound like we’d be able to see, but Soha told us they were pretty sweet…which they were! We were all in the same row, in section 113. (It wasn’t behind the stage, it was actually the side of it, and so when the screen was down for Life in Technicolor, we could all see the band, as we were behind the screen as well.) Once everyone sat down, we heard the usual U2, Jay-Z (with the break dancing roadie), and The Blue Danube. Then Coldplay emerged with the sparklers! For anyone who’s curious about where they go, they have a metal trashcan that they threw them into. Some were still lit.

There were a bunch of technical difficulties throughout the show; most were before the B-stage with Jonny’s microphone. He kept walking to the side signaling to someone, who then came on stage to adjust it for him. From our view it was more obvious that two people come on stage between Violet Hill & Clocks, to move the piano. And at the end of Clocks, were waiting for Chris to finish hitting the keys to move it for In My Place. I really like the transition between the two songs; how they connected them and it fits so well. During In My Place, there was the usual Chris and Jonny love, and then when the balloons came out for Yellow, everyone had pushed them towards the stage, like I’ve never seen before. It seemed like all of them ended up there, leaving Guy, Chris & Jonny to pop them when they could. And at the end we sang the last few lines again with the sustained “ooh”. But this was another time that Jonny’s microphone was messing up or doing whatever it was doing, and a roadie was onstage fixing it. After this was Glass of Water, which didn’t have the usual sing along that all the others have, probably because everyone doesn’t know where it’s from still. During Cemeteries of London, Chris sang Cemeteries of Nashville, which everyone responded back with cheers. The lights & screen behind the stage during this song & 42 are always my favorite...it fits so well.

When it was time for the B-Stage, there also seemed to be something wrong happening with Chris’s guitar and then the microphone. There was also a problem with the ball closest to my section, it kept coming down, almost touching the stage, and going back up the whole time they were on the B-stage, which blocked our view every minute or so. But was eventually fixed. Viva La Vida of course made everyone go nuts, and came with the usual mass sing along. At the end when Chris was lying on the floor, it was really obvious then that he was exhausted, and he stayed down there for a really long time, longer than I’ve seen at any other concert. And of course people were trying to touch him, and you could tell he wasn’t happy about it (probably because he seemed dead), and kept moving away from them. Finally he back flipped into Lost! The problem with the ball happened again, but was quickly fixed at the beginning of the song.

Then they all ran out to the C-Stage, which always makes the people in the back very happy. My Oxfam partner who walked around with me earlier asked where they were going, and when I told her and why Coldplay does this, she was really excited that Coldplay are so awesome to do that. Anyone who was at the show, or has seen pictures of the C-stage, there was a little kid wearing a blue shirt who was absolutely stunned that Coldplay was performing right in front of him, his face was priceless, and when Chris gave him his harmonica, he nearly died. When we did the Mexican Cell phone Wave, that was also pretty cool since we were in an arena, and it almost made a complete circle. Even after I’m A Believer started, it was still going on.

After the interlude, Politik started, and being behind the stage didn’t seem as cool because the strobe lights were in our eyes. I never thought of this before last night, but it’s also in the band’s eyes too, and during this song, or at least when the strobe lights are on, they all have their eyes closed…it all makes sense. And after over 100 shows on this tour, it is amazing they still do it every night and don’t have seizures or anything. Next was Lovers in Japan, which never gets old & is magical. Butterflies didn’t come to our section, but it doesn’t matter. Then after DAAHF, they bowed, and left. Since Oxfam wasn’t passing out the free cd, we were able to stick around. Chris came out alone for The Scientist, but first told us if we were ever going to download a song, to download one by the Howling Bells, which I’ve forgotten the name of now. He also then explained LeftRightLeftRightLeft, and after a minute of talking about it, telling us in different forms that we should get it since it’s free, he said “just fucking accept free Coldplay!” and started The Scientist. Next was LiTii, which I was only able to see half of before we had to go back, but it was still amazing, and a great end to the show.

This was my 6th time seeing Coldplay, and it has yet to get old..even if I know the setlist, and where they're running to in the crowd, it's still exciting and every show has been different. They're truly amazing live, and worth every cent you spend on tickets or anything else.

dscn1762.jpg

dscn1950.jpg

dscn1923.jpg

dscn1897e.jpg

dscn1853b.jpg

dscn1815x.jpg

More Pictures Here

I agree! I'm hoping that a youtube video gets posted so I can double check - I for sure heard backing on the final chorus on LIT II - either way, I didn't care and I doubt anyone else heard/caught it :)

sorry it's taken so long, and not many people have posted reviews!! this is so rare!

here's mine:

Last night, I volunteered in the volunteer state with Oxfam for the third time at a Coldplay show. Since I had done it twice before, I knew what to expect and more about what we were canvassing about. There were so many people last night who asked me & my partner detailed questions about Oxfam’s campaign on climate change, like what we were going to do about it, how it would help in the long run, and things like that. But luckily we knew all the answers to them! Of course there were the groups of people who let us talk for a long time then decided they didn’t want to sign, and people who asked where their seats were. Though it was a bit frustrating, overall our group did great. I can’t remember the number of signatures we got, but it was very high. I’m sure Soha will update us with it later.

After 3 hours of canvassing, it was time to meet up, get our tickets and find our seats. The tickets said “behind stage”, which didn’t sound like we’d be able to see, but Soha told us they were pretty sweet…which they were! We were all in the same row, in section 113. (It wasn’t behind the stage, it was actually the side of it, and so when the screen was down for Life in Technicolor, we could all see the band, as we were behind the screen as well.) Once everyone sat down, we heard the usual U2, Jay-Z (with the break dancing roadie), and The Blue Danube. Then Coldplay emerged with the sparklers! For anyone who’s curious about where they go, they have a metal trashcan that they threw them into. Some were still lit.

There were a bunch of technical difficulties throughout the show; most were before the B-stage with Jonny’s microphone. He kept walking to the side signaling to someone, who then came on stage to adjust it for him. From our view it was more obvious that two people come on stage between Violet Hill & Clocks, to move the piano. And at the end of Clocks, were waiting for Chris to finish hitting the keys to move it for In My Place. I really like the transition between the two songs; how they connected them and it fits so well. During In My Place, there was the usual Chris and Jonny love, and then when the balloons came out for Yellow, everyone had pushed them towards the stage, like I’ve never seen before. It seemed like all of them ended up there, leaving Guy, Chris & Jonny to pop them when they could. And at the end we sang the last few lines again with the sustained “ooh”. But this was another time that Jonny’s microphone was messing up or doing whatever it was doing, and a roadie was onstage fixing it. After this was Glass of Water, which didn’t have the usual sing along that all the others have, probably because everyone doesn’t know where it’s from still. During Cemeteries of London, Chris sang Cemeteries of Nashville, which everyone responded back with cheers. The lights & screen behind the stage during this song & 42 are always my favorite...it fits so well.

When it was time for the B-Stage, there also seemed to be something wrong happening with Chris’s guitar and then the microphone. There was also a problem with the ball closest to my section, it kept coming down, almost touching the stage, and going back up the whole time they were on the B-stage, which blocked our view every minute or so. But was eventually fixed. Viva La Vida of course made everyone go nuts, and came with the usual mass sing along. At the end when Chris was lying on the floor, it was really obvious then that he was exhausted, and he stayed down there for a really long time, longer than I’ve seen at any other concert. And of course people were trying to touch him, and you could tell he wasn’t happy about it (probably because he seemed dead), and kept moving away from them. Finally he back flipped into Lost! The problem with the ball happened again, but was quickly fixed at the beginning of the song.

Then they all ran out to the C-Stage, which always makes the people in the back very happy. My Oxfam partner who walked around with me earlier asked where they were going, and when I told her and why Coldplay does this, she was really excited that Coldplay are so awesome to do that. Anyone who was at the show, or has seen pictures of the C-stage, there was a little kid wearing a blue shirt who was absolutely stunned that Coldplay was performing right in front of him, his face was priceless, and when Chris gave him his harmonica, he nearly died. When we did the Mexican Cell phone Wave, that was also pretty cool since we were in an arena, and it almost made a complete circle. Even after I’m A Believer started, it was still going on.

After the interlude, Politik started, and being behind the stage didn’t seem as cool because the strobe lights were in our eyes. I never thought of this before last night, but it’s also in the band’s eyes too, and during this song, or at least when the strobe lights are on, they all have their eyes closed…it all makes sense. And after over 100 shows on this tour, it is amazing they still do it every night and don’t have seizures or anything. Next was Lovers in Japan, which never gets old & is magical. Butterflies didn’t come to our section, but it doesn’t matter. Then after DAAHF, they bowed, and left. Since Oxfam wasn’t passing out the free cd, we were able to stick around. Chris came out alone for The Scientist, but first told us if we were ever going to download a song, to download one by the Howling Bells, which I’ve forgotten the name of now. He also then explained LeftRightLeftRightLeft, and after a minute of talking about it, telling us in different forms that we should get it since it’s free, he said “just fucking accept free Coldplay!” and started The Scientist. Next was LiTii, which I was only able to see half of before we had to go back, but it was still amazing, and a great end to the show.

This was my 6th time seeing Coldplay, and it has yet to get old..even if I know the setlist, and where they're running to in the crowd, it's still exciting and every show has been different. They're truly amazing live, and worth every cent you spend on tickets or anything else.

pictures soon..

Awesome review, I think it's really cool to volunteer with Oxfam @ a Coldplay concert! :D

The boy who got the harmonica :heart: Chris must have made his day :nice:

And 'Just fucking accept free Coldplay" :laugh3: I think he has grown tired of explaining the reason behind LRLRL.

he did not use a backing track! they don't believe in that!

That a relief to hear :D

yea me too..

Holy crap, the coldplay show was AMAZING!! The stage setup was just awesome and so were the video displays..AND They came down from the stage and played in the middle of the lawn...it was unbelievably AWESOME [thanks musicbliss @ Twitter]

the person who wrote that was at another show, because this was in an arena, there was no lawn...

Hi all. New member, first post. Great site.

The Nashville show was my first Coldplay show ever, and I certainly hope it won't be my last. Without question, that was the most awesome thing I have ever seen. I was so amazed how the level of awesomeness never dropped off the entire time they were on stage. I can't really add anything about the show that greeneyes didn't cover. All I know is that I can't wait until I can go again.

A few vids from YoooToob.

Green Eyes from upclose

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tLcoBoadgc]YouTube - Green Eyes: Coldplay (Live, Nashville, 6/6/09)[/ame]

This one features Chris talking about Howling Bells and LRLRL like what Kaleigh mentioned :D

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ISyh_yvIaQ]YouTube - Coldplay - "The Scientist"[/ame]

LiT plus Violet Hill from the side and no pesky curtain to deal with :D They are having fun with the sparklers :P

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZZY92QwWLk]YouTube - Coldplay 'Life In Technicolor' Show opener Live in Nashville, TN 6-6-09[/ame]

Short clip of Politik

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vimjnGXBHP4]YouTube - Coldplay Nashville 6/6/09 - Politik[/ame]

Partial clip of GPASUYF/Talk

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3Ods8hzMNs]YouTube - Coldplay "God Put a Smile on Your Face" Live in Nashville 06-06-09[/ame]

Half of Yellow

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKP4jlBRbgU]YouTube - Coldplay-Yellow-Nashville-Sommet Center-6/6/09[/ame]

Coldplay at The Sommet Center 6/6/09

Coldplay060609Sommet18.jpg

Realizing that attending Saturday night's Coldplay show--their first in Nashville in six years--was a no-lose situation, as we were guaranteed an entertaining spectacle of sound and vision, we decided we owed it to ourselves to witness the phenomenon of the band's success firsthand, and made it down to the Sommet Center on time. There, we got caught up in the cattle-herd of teenagers outfitted in Viva La Vida fatigues, popped-collar frat boys and their girlfriends, Jon Bon Jovi look-a-likes who color-code their two-tone dye jobs with their pre-ripped jeans and slobbering drunk cougars. As a result, we missed the first half of Howling Bells, whose brief, shoegazey set droned more than howled.

Even from our plush ninth-row floor seats it was hard to see the Australian foursome burning holes in their shoes and taking cues from the 4AD discography due to the "moody" lighting that obscured them. Which is just as well considering that what they do is pretty antithetical to the whole arena rock thing.

Direct support act Snow Patrol were an utter waste of time. Between the contrived stadium choruses and a singer whose favorite move was reaching up to the sky to make sure we got a long look at his white belt and even whiter midriff, they blandly satisfied all the requisite criteria of the adult-alternative idiom. A shout-out to Grimey's record shop--where an in-store by the band earlier in the day had resulted in Beatlesque pandemonium--was enough for us to forgive their mediocrity and endure a set that would make Coldplay's seem fiercely original by comparison.

The arena, which appeared to be at capacity, was brimming with excitement in anticipation of the night's headliners, and you didn't have to be a fan to share in the palpable enthusiasm that comes with knowing you're about to see one of the biggest bands in the world. The crowd's deafening reaction as the band took stage with the one-two opening punch of Viva La Vida's "Life in Technicolor" and "Violet Hill" only grew louder with the trifecta of "Clocks," "In My Place" and "Yellow" (with the last chorus dedicated to Faith and Tim) that immediately followed--a string of hits that we were surprised to see played so early in proceedings. The fact that they could blow such a load in the first quarter of the set was a testament to their sheer prowess as both hit-makers and arena-rockers. Combine this the band's unsullied musical execution, frontman Chris Martin's disgustingly boyish charisma and the multitude of lasers, video imagery, dragon costumes, bursting ballo0ns and confetti cannons, and you have exactly what we came to see--a hit-laden multi-media extravaganza of epic proportions.

Despite the hi-tech tableau on the grand stage, the part of the show that connected best with the audience was a three-song acoustic set the band played on a mini-stage in nosebleed territory, during which they had the crowd do the wave with their cell-phones before leading them in a sing-along of Neil Diamond's "I'm a Believer."

Mercifully, Martin & Co. spared us twelve of the thirteen tracks from 2005's critically maligned X&Y, opting only to play the overwrought anthem "Fix You," which was second only to the band's ultimate pussy-wetter "The Scientist" in eliciting the fever-pitch sing-along of the night. Along the way there was the epic fan favorite "Politick," nearly all of Viva La Vida and a smoke-break inducing solo piano set by Martin. While Martin's arrhythmic airplane imitations and cringetacular Bono-aping were a little much to handle at times, we found that our hands were up in the air, our heads were bobbing and our mouths were open more than we'd care to admit.

snow-patrol-and-howling-bells-at-the-sommet-center.3479407.36.jpg

snow-patrol-and-howling-bells-at-the-sommet-center.3479408.36.jpg

snow-patrol-and-howling-bells-at-the-sommet-center.3479410.36.jpg

snow-patrol-and-howling-bells-at-the-sommet-center.3479411.36.jpg

snow-patrol-and-howling-bells-at-the-sommet-center.3479415.36.jpg

snow-patrol-and-howling-bells-at-the-sommet-center.3479416.36.jpg

coldplay-at-the-sommet-center.3479443.36.jpg

coldplay-at-the-sommet-center.3479446.36.jpg

coldplay-at-the-sommet-center.3479447.36.jpg

coldplay-at-the-sommet-center.3479448.36.jpg

coldplay-at-the-sommet-center.3479449.36.jpg

coldplay-at-the-sommet-center.3479450.36.jpg

coldplay-at-the-sommet-center.3479451.36.jpg

http://blogs.nashvillescene.com/nashvillecream/2009/06/coldplay_at_the_sommet.php