✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Africa = Inspiration, Ideas, Thoughts

A thread devoted to your ideas, thoughts, and inspiration about offering hope to those in need on the African continent...

I had a thought about those poor Somalis who have turned to piracy to alleviate their poverty; this is what happens anywhere when people become desperately poor - resource wars, crime, etc. - anything to survive, and some angst against those who have. In America, at one time, it was Bonnie and Clyde - and the depths of poverty that led to desperate acts, also gave them cover during poverty times in the US.Bonnie and Clyde - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

To change the situation, and reduce the odds of people turning to the extreme, it would be good to get some water to those poor Somali farmers. A desalination plant or two, and something to grow that the world would like - a cash crop to keep everyone fed and to be well off enough to no longer be in need - but to do the desalination right, so there's no environmental problems with it. For every cubic meter of sea water desalinated, there's about a cubic foot of salt left over. Some entrepreneuring Australians have proposed a desalination plant, powered with solar power, and the brine waste is left to dry in salt flats, which may be later sold for various uses (table salts, etc.).

Doing so on a larger scale may not be the answer for everyone, as there's more salt from the ocean than tables to put it on! So, I thought - perhaps, with a solar furnace, the salt could be used to create salt-glazed building products for use there as well -- salt, put into the kiln, glazes the ceramic objects being fired. It becomes part of the glass coating the ceramic, and is bound against weathering - no problems with salt contaminating ground water, or brine concentrations exceeding ocean life's capacity to handle it either.

So that was an idea I had today, thinking about living (as we do) on sandy soils, where water from rain can be scarce at times in the summer..

It would be a boost to the economy there - building materials of local clay, sand and salt; clean fresh water for Somalis and crops; and things to sell and trade with - wares, fruits, grains, goat cheeses, etc. How about it? What would Oxfam and Coldplay have to say??

The world has been raping Africa for hundreds of years, its quite sad. Now China is getting heavily involved in arms dealing and other nasty things, I don't know how we can help it besides getting most the world to leave it alone at least the governments.

The 2nd largest lake in Africa is being over fished by European companies who send the food back to Europe while the Africans starve.

Quite true of the past, Nick, but the future may hold more hope - as the word gets out, and the exploit driven types of businesses and governments begin more and more to face the courts and the court of public opinion about their behaviors.

Jared Diamond came to the realization of what damage colonialism had done, but the future doesn't always follow the past precisely as we might predict, so I am hopeful. Somalia has ample coastal water, and ample sunshine - it would be a good fit, and provide much-needed jobs and hope for the young men and women there - a win-win - the jobs would create goods efficiently, use renewable energy, provide ample water for citizens, crops, and livestock, and the surpluses could then be sold on the markets for other needs; To literally "prime the pump" of the economic engine.

It's why I support organizations like ONE who try to give direct aid to those in need. I wish I could do more, but honestly I have enough going on in my life now that I can't 'save the world'. I hope in the future I can dedicate more time and effort into helping out.

:thumbsup:Fantastic!! No one of us can do it, but together we can. I'm just thinking about what would really change people's lives - the US sends tons of military air, but only a trickle of humanitarian air and infrastructure assistance to places like Somalia and Afghanistan. If we're going to win over people, the best way is through peaceful measures that markedly improve people's lives; So, I again think of reform to the campaign finance process, and curtailing the influence of lobbyists in Washington - the aid from our government, the government where we the people are in charge, can go to places where it's really needed.

That's actually why I was a supporter of Bill Richardson for president. He is a big supporter of ONE and one of his priorities was to help change the dynamics of global poverty and corruption.

I even expected Obama to be the president we needed to finally bring those issues to the forefront, unfortunately this economic mess has dominated most of his time and effort. And the American way is 'help out others after we help ourselves'. Once we get into a recession God forbid we even think about helping others.

Hopefully the economy takes an upturn soon and we can see what Obama and his staff have in mind.

Fantastic thread!!I'm going to Ghana and Rwanda in a few months to do two internships concerning HIV/AIDS and Gender-based violence.I'm excited, though a little scared.I learning African languages right now so I'll be able to communicate and work with local organisations.I'm trying to raise enough money to pay for all the flights and part of the program..yep.expensive.But it's worth it.Have o organize fundraisers as well.So much stuff to do.But I'm so happy to go.

And yeah, Bush was a horrible president but he did give Africa a lot of attention...well more attention than any president before him.

Fantastic Marie! I wish you well in your language studies (quite the leap of language groups!!), and your efforts to raise funds!

I'm trying to rack my brains - I know a sociologist (actually a geneticist) who did sociological studies on the AIDS problem in Africa's nations - she's quite well known, but her name escapes my mind at the moment...

• 4 months later...

Wow, this is a really great thread. I'm glad I found it. I'm no expert, but I did take a class on African Politics this past semester and found it very eye-opening. We read a fantastic book called "The African AIDS Epidemic" by John Iliffe; I highly recommend it to anyone who's interested.

Marie, I admire your efforts and wish you luck and success on your journey. I can't wait to hear about your experiences! :D