✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The 'riddle' solved? - The inspiration for 42

Tonsu

My threads get torn to bits all the time, so welcome to the club.;)

And it was clearly asking for trouble creating a thread stating opinion as "fact".

Well, it seems pretty obvious to me, having had just read the book. Perhaps I presented it too strongly as 'fact' - I accept that. It's a strong opinion of mine that there's a possible, even probable, link; consider that now clarified.

I thought people here might be interested in my new theory.

Ahhh, Tonsu is actually not saying anything rude, why fight him?

Interesting observation, though, I'll check it out.

Thanks :) I admit I strongly dislike just profane answers to any serious thread or post on here, that's why I wish there was a bit more moderation. OK, disagree with me, argue the point, but why just say rude stuff when someone is trying to make a new point or observation.

tis interesting but its hardly obvious or anything more than speculation. Ask the oracle, but don't go around preaching it as fact.

The Oracle doesn't know I don't think. And I wasn't 'preaching'. I've already explained I didn't mean to present it as fact. I just felt so sure myself that perhaps I posted too assuredly. Have you read that book? Seemed pretty obvious to me, however speculative, until/unless we get an official answer!!

Alright, I read the thread title again, I read my first post. I did present it as fact, fair enough. I was excited and sure of myself (and actually still am). So argue against my idea with reference to the book, and how I might not be, or might be, right - don't just throw expletives at me please.

Cheers :)

The Oracle doesn't know I don't think. And I wasn't 'preaching'. I've already explained I didn't mean to present it as fact, and if I did I've already tried to clarify that I didn't mean to, I just felt so sure myself that perhaps I got carried away. And have you read that book? Seemed pretty obvious to me, however speculative until/unless we get an official answer!!

The oracle has the means to ask though. I've read the book several times and know exactly what you're getting at, but just because he includes the word 'spell' and seems to illude to a state of mental limbo isn't sufficient evidence to say its about harry potter. The song has very few lyrics, and while its actually an intriguing argument, one could argue that, save for the word 'spell', the verse and chorus are inconsistent with the book, as neither harry or his family were actually living in his head, and if you argue its metaphorical than that means it could be about pretty much anyone. And while Harry's life seemed to be cut tragically short, he clearly states in Godric's hollow that he doesn't believe there is 'something more'.

And I know what you're getting at with the bridge verses too, but all it really does is play on the idea of not quite reaching heaven, which isn't exclusive to harry potter. and if you wanna get picky, as far as the last book goes, Harry never 'thought he might be a ghost', as that was all cleared up back in OOTP.

The oracle has the means to ask though. I've read the book several times and know exactly what you're getting at, but just because he includes the word 'spell' and seems to illude to a state of mental limbo isn't sufficient evidence to say its about harry potter. The song has very few lyrics, and while its actually an intriguing argument, one could argue that, save for the word 'spell', the verse and chorus are inconsistent with the book, as neither harry or his family were actually living in his head, and if you argue its metaphorical than that means it could be about pretty much anyone. And while Harry's life seemed to be cut tragically short, he clearly states in Godric's hollow that he doesn't believe there is 'something more'.

An interesting, challenging and thought-provoking post, finally, many thanks!!

I can't get the quotes from the book tonight but it's far more than just the word 'spell' for me.

There are plenty of parts of the whole series of books where Harry's family are 'just living in his head' (mainly in memories, and more particularly reflected in the Mirror of Erised). There are his journeys through the Pensieve where, although they are gone, he is seeing them as they were; completely alive - but only in his head. And seeing those memories influence his every subsequent action, it's a major theme of the series.

I don't know at which point in Godric's Hollow you mean, but if it's the much earlier point in book seven I'm thinking of then things clearly have changed totally for him by the end of the novel.

All this aside, none of it struck me as the probable influence (to my mind) until the last few (three?) chapters. There are sentences that almost directly mirror the lyrics, if not in direct quotes then in heavy coincidence.

As I say I can't pull out the quotes tonight, but the main points from the final bits for me are:

1) Harry's journey through the forest to confront Voldemort with his deceased loved-ones in support (that disappear from sight before anyone else sees them - they are not dead, but they are in his head).

2) He thought he might be a ghost - he didn't get to heaven but he made it close.

The oracle has the means to ask though.

And I know what you're getting at with the bridge verses too, but all it really does is play on the idea of not quite reaching heaven, which isn't exclusive to harry potter. and if you wanna get picky, as far as the last book goes, Harry never 'thought he might be a ghost', as that was all cleared up back in OOTP.

The Oracle has the means to ask, but Coldplay would never I don't think put out an answer that said it was inspired by Harry Potter (see some of the reactions to my theory on this thread for the why).

Oh well, I haven't read OoTP for years. My main point really was the similarity in certain lines of the last three chapters of Deathly Hallows and the lyrics of the song. Now you've made me think about it more it's only made my belief stronger (until perhaps I get time to read OoTP again - but time is pretty short for me right now, and like I said EVERYTHING changed by the end of book seven with the walk through the forest, and Harry actually getting to be a ghost but not making it to heaven).

Just all imho, I'll try to change the thread title to make it sound less 'factual' and more of a hypothesis, but I'm not quite sure how to do that.

At least, I hope I gave open-minded people something to think about, even if they disagree with my interpretation, though I will get back sometime to post the quotes, just not sure when - things are busy.

:)

Well, I've edited some of my earlier posts to explain that this is just imho and I have also posted a request to the mods for a thread title change to make it less of a fact and more like my own opinion (which it is - feedback taken on board).

But really, I don't have time for people just posting expletives in reply to a thoughtful post...makes me want to post on this board less - there are other online places where I can have a far more reasonable (i.e. 'adult') discussion.