✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The Philippines need your help

SantaClaus

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

½ hour ago I consulted the website of RED CROSS for the latest Red Cross news:

" Red Cross Responds as Part of Global Network to Multiple Disasters in the Pacific and Southeast Asia

Red Cross Assesses Indonesia Earthquake Damage from the Air

Red Cross Assists Flooded Communities in Philippines before Stronger Typhoon Strikes "

I do hope that the new typhoon and its consequences will not hit as hard as expected knowing that it is probably too much to hope that it will not hit at all!

My thoughts and my heart go to those affected by these natural catastrophes.

NANCY

great news:

the typhoon (Pepeng) is now moving away from the Philippines (might exit by tomorrow), and the new typhoon (still unnamed) may not enter the country's area of responsibility. prayers have been answered. hopefully, relief/rescue operations for those who have been gravely affected by typhoon Ondoy can already resume a.s.a.p. :crossing-fingers:

thank you so much for the support. it is greatly appreciated. god, i want to hug you all right now. :) thanks so much. :D

inengsol you are most welcome :) It is the very least we can do to try to support you all as much as we can.

Let's hope the weather improves dramatically and relief operations can resume in earnest.

Latest from Ioshi:

'...the typhoon changed its path, it didn't hit the same are as Ketsana but the northern part of Luzon is experiencing very strong winds, uprooting the trees and destroying houses, especially in Tuguegarao.'

great news:

the typhoon (Pepeng) is now moving away from the Philippines (might exit by tomorrow), and the new typhoon (still unnamed) may not enter the country's area of responsibility. prayers have been answered. hopefully, relief/rescue operations for those who have been gravely affected by typhoon Ondoy can already resume a.s.a.p. :crossing-fingers:

thank you so much for the support. it is greatly appreciated. god, i want to hug you all right now. :) thanks so much. :D

Reply: That was indeed wonderful news - all things considered. :)

I can only quote you that "hopefully, relief/rescue operations for those who have been gravely affected by typhoon Ondoy can already resume a.s.a.p. :crossing-fingers: ". :)

Hello to everyone, I'm back for the resumption of our classes tomorrow. I am preparing for 2 exams tomorrow but I will be online to accommodate queries, especially those living in Cali for their in-kind donations.

And can I just say I am most grateful to Pete and Joey for all the help and the efforts you have been putting to this. I really :heart: you guys. I'll definitely find a way to make something special for you guys. ;)

And thank you Nancy and Sol for keeping us updated with the news about the weather and relief operations. :)

I am glad to say that we are in a better condition now, it has stopped raining and hopefully we can continue with the relief operations. But some sad news, because of hunger, I heard in the news that kids (aged 5-7 years old) punched each other cos they were fighting over one pack of food. :(

Ioshi, there is no need to thank us at all. We have just done what we know in our hearts is the right thing to do, and alas we have been able to do little considering the size of the calamity :(

So, let's continue to support the relief and support efforts as best we can :)

Ioshi, there is no need to thank us at all. We have just done what we know in our hearts is the right thing to do, and alas we have been able to do little considering the size of the calamity :(

So, let's continue to support the relief and support efforts as best we can :)

Seconded. :)

I have received a SMS from Mr Anders Ladekarl, the Secretary General of Danish Red Cross, with the result of Danish Red Cross's collection 2009:

"With a total profit of 16.5 million Danish kroner you have helped to give hope to vulnerable and disadvantaged at home and abroad. Thanks for that.

Tomorrow morning, we will send money to the victims of the current disasters in ASIA.

Thank you for your efforts! We hope to see you again next year.

Many greetings

Anders Ladekarl

Secretary General, Danish Red Cross

Here is a translation of Danish Red Cross's website:

Money from Danish Red Cross's big collection 2009 goes to victims of disasters around the world - and to help vulnerable people in Denmark.

Responsible for this page: Hans Beck Gregersen. Created on 4th October 2009

In the week up to the collection on 4 October 2009, Asia was hit by three major natural disasters.

Three disasters in one week:

1) A typhoon ravaged the PHILIPPINES and Vietnam with major flooding.

2) A tsunami rushed over the Samoa and Tonga islands and leveled entire towns with the ground.

3) Two earthquakes struck Sumatra in Indonesia and buried thousands of people under collapsed buildings.

"Although we already have sent 1.5 million Danish Kroner, we will also need money from the collection to help people back on their feet after the disasters in ASIA. We are therefore extremely pleased that, today so many people chose to defy the wind and collect money in favour of Danish Red Cross's work," says Secretary General Anders Ladekarl.

Help for lone refugee children in Denmark

Part of the money from the collection also goes to the great work - done by the Danish Red Cross's more than 20,000 volunteers - with vulnerable people in Denmark. At present many refugee children come to Denmark without their families. Some of the children - most of them from Afghanistan - will obtain a residence permit. But often they are completely alone in a foreign country far away from their parents and need support in terms of adults and families to help them start a meaningful life in Denmark.

270,000 trapped in squalid conditions in Sri Lanka

This year's collection also supports the 270,000 Tamils trapped in primitive camps in Sri Lanka. After the Tamil Tigers lost a protracted civil war in the spring, the government interned 270,000 Tamils in large, squalid camps, where 170 people have to share one latrine.

The government of Sri Lanka denies journalists access to the large camps thus cutting these camps off from the outside world. Therefore, people in these camps suffer in silence.

West Africa is under water

Finally, money from the collection goes to help the roughly 600,000 people who suffer from severe flooding in western Africa. There is virtually no focus on these people's fate, but the Danish Red Cross has sent relief workers to the area and helps with both emergency and long-term health projects.

____

I had a nice day collecting money for Danish Red Cross. Most people were nice and willing to contribute to Danish Red Cross's relief work in favour of the many victims of the natural disasters. And the result of the collection - 16.5 mio. DKK - was quite satisfactory.

During the collection I hesitated a few times, but then acted with an echo of the Coldplay line: "If you never try, you'll never know" in my ear - always with good result. And I also had the Viva la Vida melody on repeat within my soul / in my ear and then the echo of the above Coldplay line on my mind. So I guess that one is entitled to conclude that Chris Martin sort of contributed to the good results as well. :) NANCY

Ioshi, I'm sad to learn of the new earthquake. You linked and I copied the news item:

MANILA - A 6.6 magnitude earthquake struck the Moro Gulf off Mindanao shortly before 7 p.m. Sunday, the US Geological Survey (USGS) reported.

The USGS said the earthquake struck at 6:58 p.m. Philippine time.

The epicenter was located at 6.721°N, 123.480°E, or roughly 100 kilometers west southewst of Cotabato City, at a depth of 630.5 km, based on USGS data.

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center reported there is no "destructive tsunami threat" that exists after the quake.

No damage has been reported so far as of posting time.

as of 10/04/2009 8:08 PM.

NANCY

16.5 million kroner to the Danish Red Cross

05-10-2009 07:21

Danes defying wind and rain to collect money in favour of the Red Cross and this organisation’s relief work. And the result is not bad. Many Danes staying at home to enjoy their Sunday gave a contribution.

"We end up with a total profit equal to 16.5 million Danish Kroner - and that is slightly better than last year's result. We are incredibly happy in the light of the economic crisis," says Secretary General Anders Ladekarl in a statement.

"The Danes have shown that they have the energy to help others. With today's performance we can bring hope and help to people needing a hand to get on with their lives," says Anders Ladekarl.

Money from the Sunday collection goes to the Red Cross's major international relief work - and work among vulnerable categories of people in Denmark.

/ Ritzau /

http://borsen.dk/nyhed/167170/newsfeeds_rss/ :)

Re: Red Cross's major international relief work - the Secretary General is talking about relief work in the areas affected by the typhoon (such as the Philippines and Vietnam), by the tsunami (Tonga and the Samoa islands) and earthquakes (mainly Sumatra that was hit twice in a few days).

Hello to the lovely people of Coldplaying :)

I am glad to report that the weather has been good since yesterday. There aren't so much trouble with the weather here in Manila. But I still think the Northern part of Luzon is still experiencing strong winds and heavy rains. And the province Laguna is experiencing some disastrous instances right now. Their place are still flooded and the flood won't dry up in the next 3 months, says the local development authority. We continuously pray for the people down there. Prayer really works, we have prayed that the following typhoons won't hit the same area as Ketsana and it happened. So please pray for us.

We still ask for people, if you have clothes, blankets, some towels or personal grooming kits you don't use anymore as many people around here may still use it. :)

IOSHI,

Thanks for the update. Yesterday and today I have been consulting Red cross's website without so far finding any news about the 2nd typhoon. I hoped the best and crossed my fingers - since there was no news reported about the sitaution there. I'm sad to learn that the second typhoon has been / is devastating in the Luzon area. :cry: My heart goes out to those affected by these natural disasters. You are in our thoughts, hearts and prayers.

I was able to find some news on the Red Cross, Philippines' website.

And more news from the Danish news media (haven't got the link) dated 3/10-09:

Typhoon "Parma" devastates the Philippines

After a week of floods and violent destruction a new typhoon built up in the Philippines. Last week 288 people from the Philippines died after the typhoon "Ketsana" hit the country.

Now another typhoon named "Parma" hits the northern part of the country.

Parma has toppled trees and electricity pylons, but according to the news agency AP as yet there has been no reports of casualties. "Parma" has in particular hit the northern province of Cagayan.

Tens of thousands of people have been displaced by the authorities still having the typhoon "Ketsana" in mind. "Ketsana" caused the worst floods in 40 years in the Philippines, writes the news agency AP.

Manila is still under water

Yesterday Parma changed direction and moved to the north, so that the capital Manila was only touched upon.

At several locations in Manila the water is still up in the streets at breast height.

Instead, Parma went beyond its northern regions, where a spokesman for the local authorities hopes that the devastation will not be as dramatic as last week.

"We pray that we do not have a worse outcome, but in this situation we cannot be really safe," said Bonifacio Cuarteros to the news agency AP.

"Parma" on the way to Taiwan

"Parma" brought heavy rain and winds measured at 175 km / h, says the National Weather Service. They warn against mudslides and floods in the northern part of the country.

The storm is now heading towards Taiwan, where the authorities have begun to evacuate people in the southern part of the country.

Last week 1500 died in Southeast Asia, where earthquakes have hit Indonesia and the typhoon" Ketsana" hit the Philippines and Vietnam.

Other news items:

80 percent of Manila under water

New typhoon affects the Philippines

Posted by: admin: Category: Asia, environment

After the typhoon "Ketsana" aka. "Ondoy" last week hit the Philippines, this area is now hit again. This time it's a "super" typhoon called "Parma" (or "Pepeng"). Now, however, the government issues warnings all the time. Not like last week, when there was no warning of the typhoon "Ketsana" which made thousands homeless and killed about 300 people. Many persons are still in rescue centres, and there has been no school this whole week. Parma, however, hits the north of Manila. This means that the Capital gets off "lightly" this time, but the northern part of the Philippines has been hit hard.

Related posts:

Typhoon ravaging Asia - For the last 2 weeks the typhoon "Morakot" has ravaged the Philippines

Earthquake affects Indonesia - A 6.9 earthquake hit western Indonesia at 08:52 pm local time

Tsunami affects Samoa - An 8.0 earthquake struck Samoa yesterday and shortly after was

Sadly the aftermath of such natural disasters can go on for many months, or more. And often the problem with typhoons and homes destroyed, and all the flooding, is that water-borne diseases and problems due to a lack of hygienic facilities become absolutely awful...

the main news media of the world may have moved away from these disasters a lot already, but now is the time our friends in the Philippines REALLY need our help.

Indeed. And we are in need of medicines (Paracetamol, Amoxicillin, Co-Trimoxazole, Oral rehydration salts, alcohol, betadine, bandages, Cloxacillin, mefenamic acid, anti-hypertensive medications, Doxycycline, Salbutamol) apart from the clothes and the food. And sad to say in the news yesterday, there are plenty of kids who have been orphaned by the typhoon. I don't know what's going to happen with those kids. :(

The Philippines need your help!

Some updates from Philippine National Red Cross' website

(seen this morning - I checked around noon, if there were updates / new items of news posted, but that was not the case). I would have posted the updates at around 11 to 11.30 o'clock Danish time on the two Philippines + the Red Cross threads, but "forum maintenance" started as I pressed "Submit post" - and the forum was down for a couple of hours - when it worked again, there was some slow action - at least when I wanted to go through the overview of the threads page by page. But now it works - and forum maintenance is important :) , so here is the update:

An update of the situation in the Philippines:

News from the PNRC = Philippine National Red Cross

Link = http://www.redcross.org.ph/Site/PNRC/Home.aspx?ID=I,1469,P,-1&SS=P&ShowP=2

October 06, 2009:

Philippine National Red Cross (PNRC) Chairman Senator Richard Gordon and United States Ambassador to the Philippines Kristie Kenney today will extend help to the victims of typhoon Ondoy in Biñan, Laguna. Around 1,000 families evacuated in Barangay Casili covered court will receive food items such as rice, noodles and canned goods and non-food items such as clothes and blankets. “We chose Laguna this time since many families, especially those who live near Laguna De Bay, were badly affected by the onslaught brought by typhoon Ondoy. We will start to give relief goods in Biñan, Laguna since large number of families were evacuated here,” said Gordon..

Gordon and Kenney also intend to conduct ocular survey and assessment of flooded areas in Laguna to evaluate other needs of affected communities with regard to post-disaster recovery. ”We will also visit other areas in order for us to assess the major needs of the communities affected. And based on our assessment, we will come up with appropriate actions to help communities in Laguna which are greatly affected,” said Gordon.

Meanwhile, Gordon extended his gratitude to the support of the U.S. government through Ambassador Kenney to help thousands of families affected by Ondoy. I am very elated that Ambassador Kristie Kenney is one with the PNRC through out this crisis. I believe that this will be the start of a lasting partnership between U.S. and PNRC to help us live up to our mission to alleviate human suffering,” he said.

As of October 5, PNRC Operation Center accounted more than 15,600 families were housed in different evacuation centers in Laguna. 7,023 families were in 11 evacuation centers in Biñan Laguna.

Meanwhile, PNRC San Pablo City Laguna Chapter conducted medical mission in Barangay Cuyab San Pedro, Laguna in collaboration with its donor agency together with the volunteers.

Majority of families affected by Typhoon Ondoy in Laguna is still in the evacuation centers. There is an increasing number of evacuees in some evacuation centers and some diseases like flu, cough and diarrhea were already arising.

October 05, 2009

Social workers from the Philippine National Red Cross (PNRC) Social Services department conducted psychosocial support to the victims of Typhoon Ondoy in Metro Manila to avoid post-traumatic disorder triggered by their experience.

October 05, 2009

The Philippine National Red Cross (PNRC) Community Health and Nursing Services takes the lead in promoting proper hygiene and health education on evacuation centers in Rizal, Quezon City and Taguig where diseases are most likely to spread easily.

October 04, 2009

Philippine National Red Cross (PNRC) chapter and other areas affected by typhoon Ondoy are now giving relief, conducting feeding program and assessing the needs of Filipinos hit by typhoon Ondoy in different evacuation centers.

September 30, 2009

The Philippine National Red Cross mobilized today hundreds of its 143 volunteers to meet the needs of thousands of people who were affected of the flooding in some areas in Metro Manila caused by Typhoon Ondoy (Ketsana).

September 28, 2009

The Philippine National Red Cross (PNRC) is now continuously receiving cash and in-kind donations from good-hearted Filipinos and socially-responsible corporations and organizations to help families affected by tropical storm “Ondoy”, the PNRC Operation Center reported.

September 28, 2009

Staff and volunteers of the Philippine National Red Cross (PNRC) Metro Manila chapters are now in full swing in assisting affected families due to typhoon Ondoy which hit Central Luzon.

September 27, 2009

Philippine National Red Cross (PNRC) Chairman Senator Richard sent eighteen (18) rubber boats and one (1) aluminum boat to the affected areas in Manila, the PNRC Operation Center reported.

September 26, 2009

The Philippine National Red Cross (PNRC) today deployed three (3) Water Search and Rescue (WASAR) Teams to rescue the stranded commuters and affected families due to heavy rains caused by tropical storm Ondoy, the PNRC Operation Center reported.

September 26, 2009

Tropical Storm “Ondoy” has accelerated further as it moves closer to Central Luzon with maximum sustained winds of 85 kilometers per hour near center and gustiness of up to 100 kilometer per hour, the Philippine National Red Cross (PNRC) Operation Center reported.

The Philippines need your help!

News from AMERICAN Red Cross:

Current Relief Operations:

Pacific Islands Tsunami

International Response Efforts

Southeast Floods

Swine Flu/H1N1

Red Cross News

Prevent A Big Disaster Threat-House Fires (USA related)

Jumpstart to Recovery Kits en Route to American Samoa (SAMOA)

Red Cross Chief Nurse Advises Getting H1N1 and Seasonal Flu Vaccines

Red Cross Blog (volunteers reporting the relief efforts etc.)

Disaster Online Newsroom (news in short form)

http://newsroom.redcross.org / Seen Tuesday, 6 October 2009 at 20:30 Danish time or 19:30 UK time

Disaster Alert: Typhoon Parma (October 6, 2009) PHILIPPINES

Just days after a massive typhoon flooded Manila, another brought extreme winds to a rural fishing village in the north over the weekend, affecting at least 152,000 people

According to government officials (as of Oct. 6), 17 people have died

Philippine National Red Cross volunteers are providing shelter for 50,100 people in 232 evacuation centers

If interested in reading about other American Red Cross and Danish Red Cross activities in favour of the victims of natural disasters, I have posted more about these at the RED CROSS thread.

IOSHI - I am indeed sad to hear about the many new orphans. So many people affected, so many human fates! :(

You're doing a good job - so don't give up! :kiss: on your cheek!

Indeed. And we are in need of medicines (Paracetamol, Amoxicillin, Co-Trimoxazole, Oral rehydration salts, alcohol, betadine, bandages, Cloxacillin, mefenamic acid, anti-hypertensive medications, Doxycycline, Salbutamol) apart from the clothes and the food. And sad to say in the news yesterday, there are plenty of kids who have been orphaned by the typhoon. I don't know what's going to happen with those kids. :(

:(

Even the most basic of medicines needed that many of us have in our medicine cabinets all the time...PLEASE HELP OUT GUYS.

I tried unsuccessfully to find new updates on the websites of Danish Red Cross, American Red Cross and Philippine National Red Cross. But on Danish Text TV (TV2 Text TV) I found these few lines and translated them into English:

The typhoon "Parma" ravaged Taiwan on Monday and Tuesday. Rescuers are evacuating people from areas flooded as a consequence of the typhoon. 6,582 people have been rescued from flooded villages. "Parma" is not quite as windy as it was before it hit Taiwan and ravaged the Northern part of the Philippines where 16 human lives were taken by Parma.

Now the typhoon Melor is on its way to Japan with winds of more than 250 km per hour.