• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Pilate changes name, look south

pilotforspeed256.jpg

Pilate singer/lyricist Todd Clark has just called from Nova Scotia. It's after breakfast on one of those late, slow-burning June days and having just criss-crossed the country, he's taking an opportunity to savour the wide-open spaces between Cape Breton Island and Glace Bay.

"You know," he says, the hum of the road faintly echoing in the background, "we're just in the middle of nowhere."

In the midst of steering his band, which includes members Rudy Bumrah (bass), Chris Greenough (guitar) and drummer Bill Keeley, through a series of dates that culminates with this weekend's performance at the WEMF (World Electronic Music Festival) in Tweed, Ont., Clark says the foursome's latest tour has been nothing short of eye-opening.

Already hailed for their energetic live performances, the animated frontman boasts that the band's shows in support of this spring's "Sell Control For Life's Speed" have built on the frenetic atmosphere the Toronto-based rockers first dallied with when they took to the stage to support 2003's "Caught By The Window."

"We wanted a roomy feel for this record," he says. "And we wanted the album to be more of a representation of where we had finished after having toured behind the last record."

"After two and half years of touring, we were a lot different. So, the trick was to try and capture what we'd been doing live in a studio setting."

Pausing, he continues: "Listening back to the disc, I think it worked. We've played to 200 people and a 1,000-plus, and it seems like the space of the larger rooms is bringing the music to the fore a bit better."

Newly minted as Pilot Speed for "Sell Control's" release stateside on Wind-Up Records, the deep-pocketed American label that houses Evanescence and Creed, Clark didn't mention the name change (he has said on the band's website that the group changed their name for legal reasons south of the border); instead, he sounded off on the stratification of the Canadian music industry.

"We've always felt sandwiched between the alternative bands and the more mainstream acts," he sighs. "But with this album I think our music has solidified us as our own band."

Comparisons to Coldplay, Radiohead and U2 duly noted, Clark shrugs off any attempt to categorize "Sell Control's" anthemic rock stylings. "We're just trying to make music for us. We aren't aiming to make records that sound like this or that. Besides, for the last few years we've been listening to mostly Bruce Springsteen and Tom Waits songs."

Asked about the raw lyrical content ("Love me, cheat me, waste my time," Clark sings on the riffing "Love Come In"), the singer chides: "I don't want to discuss it. I like leaving the songs to people to figure out as they listen."

Agreeing that "Caught By The Window" was pretty much a Toronto phenomenon the New Zealand native says that the band tried not to let their love for their city colour where they wanted to record its follow-up. "We chose where we recorded the album less because of the city and more because of the studio," he says of "Sell Control's" primary breeding ground - The Armoury, in Vancouver.

"But the decision to record out West ended up being a good one," he allows. "The city worked its way in there both in a literary way and in terms of the record's feel. Plus being away from Toronto gave us a chance to just be with the album solely."

Having branched out overseas with shows in Australia, the U.K. and Japan, Clark admits that Pilot Speed have lofty ambitions for "Sell Control." But how far will he and his mates go to sell records? Well, let's put it this way - he's not going to grow his hair out Scott Stapp-like or hip check Rob Jones for a spot on the next "Canadian Idol."

"Really, anytime we make a record, we'd like it heard by as many people possible," he says. "But we're not part of a certain scene and we're not cliquey and... I really couldn't give a shit. I'm not going to concern myself with whether we're the cool band of the month or the next big thing."

"We can't control that. But what we do have power over is our ability to be progressive. Progressive in the direction of our music and progressive in ourselves personally. That's all I'm worried about."

http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/2006/07/20/1694375-ca.html