mc_squared

Iran is now a 'nuclear state' says Ahmadinejad as thousands take to the streets

By Mail Foreign Service

Last updated at 4:10 PM on 11th February 2010

• Gordon Brown: The world's patience is wearing thin
  • Security forces fire tear gas and paint balls on opposition protesters

• Internet connections attacked in Tehran as regime tries to foil opposition
  • Opposition leader attacked

Iran is now a 'nuclear state', President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad announced this morning.

As Gordon Brown warned that the world's patience is wearing thin, Ahmadinejad told scores of cheering Iranians that the Islamic Republic is capable of producing weapons-grade uranium.

He spoke as tens of thousands of people took to the streets in Tehran to mark the 31st anniversary of the Islamic revolution.

Despite fears of violence, opposition supporters found themselves largely overwhelmed by the clerical regime and pro-government demonstrators.

The massive security clampdown appeared to succeed in preventing protesters from converging into a cohesive demonstrations.

Large numbers of riot police, members of the Revolutionary Guard and Basij militiamen, some on motorcycles, deployed in back streets near key squares and major avenues in the capital to move against protesters.

article-1250127-083DB682000005DC-524_634x477.jpg Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad addresses tens of thousands of Iranians gathered in Azadi (Freedom) Square in southwestern Tehran today, marking the 31st anniversary of the Islamic revolution

article-1250127-083D9439000005DC-451_306x464.jpg

article-1250127-083D8D8B000005DC-913_306x464.jpg

Pro-regime supporters shout slogans (left) while a caricature of US President Barack Obama joins the sea of Iranian flags

He said it had produced its first batch of 20 per cent enriched uranium - and had the capability to enrich to far higher levels at its Natanz plant.

Enriching uranium produces fuel for a nuclear power plants but can also be used to create material for atomic weapons.

The international community has warned Iran against further enrichment activities, threatening new UN sanctions.

Today Gordon Brown again reiterated the threat of sanctions.

'I believe the mood around the world is now increasingly one where, patience not being inexhaustible, people are turning to look at the specific sanctions we can plan on Iran,' Mr Brown said.

'This is a critical time for Iran's relationship with the rest of the world.'

MrBrown said the international community did not want to impose sanctions but would do so if Iran did not cooperate more fully over its nuclear plans

The Iranian leader insisted the material was not intended to produce an atomic bomb, however.

'We have the capability to enrich uranium more than 20 percent or 80 percent (the level needed to create an atomic bomb),' he said in a speech broadcast live on state television.

'But we don't enrich (to this level) because we don't need it...

article-1250127-083E196E000005DC-999_634x865.jpg

Supporters wave flags and placards as they gather in Tehran's central square

article-1250127-083E485F000005DC-962_634x841.jpg A close-up of the giant Iranian flag as it snakes down the street as supporters march in Azadi (Freedom) Square

'When we say we do not manufacture the bomb, we mean it, and we do not believe in manufacturing a bomb,' he told the crowd. 'If we wanted to manufacture a bomb we would announce it.'

Thousands of supporters had been brought in on buses to hear Ahmadinejad speak as security forces threatened to crush any opposition protests.

Witnesses say security forces fired paint balls to disperse anti-government protesters in one of the first clashes of the day's ceremonies.

The unrest began after protesters began to chant opposition slogans in Sadeqieh Square, which is about a half-mile (one kilometer) from a huge pro-government gathering where President Ahmadinejad delivered his speech.

Witnesses say there were no apparent injuries among the several hundred protesters.

article-1250127-083DD172000005DC-200_634x448.jpg Security forces stand guard as crowds of Iranians gather to listen to President Ahmadinejad's address

article-1250127-083DF5D8000005DC-30_634x402.jpg Iranian women wave flags and a sign reading 'Down with USA' in Tehran today

Internet speeds around the capital dropped dramatically this morning as the government tried to foil demonstrations against the regime.

State television showed live footage of crowds carrying Iranian flags and pictures of Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei making their way to Azadi (freedom) Square in central Tehran, where the main gathering is being held.

Opposition members went on rooftops late Wednesday and shouted Allah-u-Akbar ('God is greatest') in protest - echoing similar cries after the disputed June election as well as anti-shah protests more than three decades ago.

More...

'There is a heavy presence of security forces everywhere. Police trucks are at every major intersection,' said a witness in central Tehran. Police helicopters were flying over the city.

An opposition website, Iran Green Voice, reported large numbers of opposition supporters gathering in several cities, including Tehran and the northern city of Tabriz.

'In some parts of Tehran, opposition supporters are chanting 'Death to the Dictator'' the website said.

Security forces are equipped with water cannon to disperse opposition protests, the opposition website Jaras reported.

Enlarge article-1250127-083E2D57000005DC-27_634x402.jpg President Ahmadinejad, centre, greets well wishers from his car, as he arrives at the rally

Other opposition websites spoke of groups of protesters in the hundreds, compared to much larger crowds in past demonstrations

One protester told The Associated Press she had tried to join the demonstrations but soon left in disappointment.

'There were 300 of us, maximum 500. Against 10,000 people,' she told an AP reporter outside Iran. She said there were few clashes.

'It means they won and we lost. They defeated us. They were able to gather so many people,' she said. 'But this doesn't mean we have been defeated for good. It's a defeat for now, today. We need time to regroup.'

Another protester insisted the opposition had come out in significant numbers, but 'the problem was that we were not able to gather in one place because they (security forces) were very violent.'

article-1250127-083E4C17000005DC-963_634x407.jpg Pro-government Iranian female demonstrators stand behind posters showing late revolutionary founder Ayatollah Khomeini, right in each poster, and supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, at left in posters, during today's rally

'Maybe people got scared,' he said. 'The idea wasn't to lose or win today ... But what is certain, today was not a good day.'

The opposition leaders have promised to join street rallies, including the Green movement founder and former presidential candidate Mir Hossein Mousavi.

Police chief Esmail Ahmadi-Moghaddam said on Wednesday the Revolutionary Guards and Basij Islamic militia were ready for any incident.

'In case of any riots, public disturbance and disorder ... police will detain and keep rioters in prison until April 9,' an unnamed official told the semi-official Fars news agency on Thursday.

The Islamic state is facing its worst domestic crisis in three decades as opposition supporters have rallied round reformists who lost to Ahmadinejad in the election.

article-1250127-083500B0000005DC-647_634x422.jpg Today President Ahmadinejad announced that the Islamic Republic had produced its first batch of 20 per cent enriched uranium. He is pictured here at the Natanz nuclear plant

In recent months, the opposition has built its street protest strategy around days of important political or religious significance in attempts to embarrass authorities.

The tone of the rallies, however, has shifted from outrage over alleged fraud in President Ahmadinejad's re-election to wider calls against the entire Islamic system, including Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.

Neither side has shown much appetite for compromise in the eight months since the disputed June presidential vote, which the opposition says was rigged to secure Ahmadinejad's re-election.

Iran faces growing Western calls for targeted sanctions against it after Ahmadinejad ordered production of higher-grade uranium, stirring fears that Tehran aims to make nuclear bombs, not just fuel for civilian use as it says is the case.

The authorities, who say the poll was fair, have struggled to suppress the protests, and opened trials in recent weeks of people charged in connection with bloody riots on December 27.

Opposition leaders have said the trials were an attempt to deter people from taking part in protests today.

article-1250127-081F77DF000005DC-880_306x423.jpg

article-1250127-083D307A000005DC-480_306x423.jpg

Opposition leaders Mir Hossein Mousavi (left) and former president Mohammad Khatami (right), who is said to have been attacked by security forces today

Iranian authorities again tried to squeeze off text messaging and Web links in attempts to cripple protest organisers. The opposition has used internet and text messaging as its main communication channels.

Internet service was sharply slowed, mobile phone service widely cut and there were repeated disruptions in popular instant messaging services such as Google chat.

But several Iranians reached by The Associated Press said some messenger services, including Yahoo!, and mobile phone texting were still sporadically accessible. Many Internet users said they could not log into their Gmail account, Google's e-mail service, since last week.

article-1250127-0404C269000005DC-735_306x423.jpg Supreme Leader Ayatollah Khamenei yesterday promised Iran will deliver a ‘punch’ that will stun the West to mark today's celebrations

'We have heard from users in Iran that they are having trouble accessing Gmail,' said Google in a statement. 'We can confirm a sharp drop in traffic and we have looked at our own networks and found that they are working properly.'

An Iranian opposition website claimed today that security forces attacked opposition leader Mehdi Karoubi when he attended a rally.

'Karoubi was attacked by security forces in central Tehran... they shattered his car's windows ... Karoubi was not seriously injured,' Jaras website reported. The same website said security forces also attacked former president Mohammad Khatami.

The Islamic Republic has survived many challenges, not least a 1980-88 war started by Iraq's Saddam Hussein, whose forces were propped up by Gulf Arab oil money and Western weaponry.

But the national unity forged in that trauma has long given way to rifts within clerical and political elites that widened after the June election. Street protests have flared periodically ever since, sometimes around official rallies.

Attending February 11 events is a tradition for many in the country of 70 million, over half of whom have only ever known the Islamic Republic established by the revolution led by Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini.

'If we all stay at home, our youngsters will be left alone on Bahman 22 (February 11). We should support them,' said Laleh, a 67-year-old housewife. 'I have nothing to lose.'

Iranian Nobel Peace laureate Shirin Ebadi said on Wednesday her country faced a catastrophe that would wreck peace in the whole Middle East if what she called government repression of the people were not halted.

Opposition leaders Mir Hossein Mousavi and Karoubi say the reform movement is alive despite pressure from the hardline rulers to disband. Karoubi predicted last month that Ahmadinejad would not be able to complete his four-year term.

'Even if he stays in power until the end of his term, he will be the weakest president since the revolution,' an Iranian analyst who did not want to be named said this week.

article-1250127-083DCE22000005DC-176_634x437.jpg Exiled Iranians shout slogans as they stand behind posters showing Khaminei and Ahmadinejad during a protest outside the Iranian embassy in Berlin today

article-1250127-083DC461000005DC-471_634x410.jpg An Iranian student in Singapore holds a sign during a protest to call on the Iranian government to stop violence against demonstrators

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1250127/Iran-Revolution-day-protests-Islamic-Republic-nuclear-state.html#ixzz0fFlZvnfz

Well it's December 21st we're all supposed to die right? idk, is that before or after? or during?

All I know is the world's gonna end while I'm still in college. I won't have to pay off any student loans. :smug:

:stunned:Ehhhhhhhh......

Well, this is a major setback, I almost wish Bush had bumbed the shit out of them while he was still in office :sad2:

Well it's December 21st we're all supposed to die right? idk, is that before or after? or during?

All I know is the world's gonna end while I'm still in college. I won't have to pay off any student loans. :smug:

You really believe that an ancient people predicted the world was going to end on a specific day thousands of years in the future?, if you do, you're an idiot, sorry.

On to Irans nuclear wepons,I highly doubt they would be stupid enough to use them.

You really believe that an ancient people predicted the world was going to end on a specific day thousands of years in the future?, if you do, you're an idiot, sorry.

On to Irans nuclear wepons,I highly doubt they would be stupid enough to use them.

they could always give them to terrorists, or have them be "mishandled" or "lost". that would make it so they don't attack.

Their president has said in the past that Israel should be wiped off the map. Do we really think that he is only producing this nuclear power for only energy?

Global economic troubles....world war 3 solution?

they could always give them to terrorists, or have them be "mishandled" or "lost". that would make it so they don't attack.

Their president has said in the past that Israel should be wiped off the map. Do we really think that he is only producing this nuclear power for only energy?

The leaders of Iran believe in the 12th Imam(spelling?) and to have him rise up and lead Islam to glory they have to destroy the world.

What about the thousands of ex Soviet ones?, that worries me more, although Iran having nuclear capibility isn't something I feel comfortable with, I doubt they would use them, even against Israel who would blast them back to the stone age in return.

What about the thousands of ex Soviet ones?, that worries me more, although Iran having nuclear capibility isn't something I feel comfortable with, I doubt they would use them, even against Israel who would blast them back to the stone age in return.

The thing is, they don't care, because they all believe they will be "rewarded" in Heaven.

That's the big problem - their own "well-being" doesn't interest them at all, whereas in the days of the Cold War, the leaders of the Communist bloc countries had no wish to be obliterated if they could avoid it.

that's one thing i could never understand. if you have nuclear weapons, how do u just manage to misplace them? ...some leaders

that's one thing i could never understand. if you have nuclear weapons, how do u just manage to misplace them? ...some leaders

I completly agree, but after the fall of the Berlin Wall Russia was a mess for most of the '90s, and their Military was in disarray, just look at their Submarine graveyards etc, but really they should keep wepons of mass destruction tightly guarded, economic disaster or not!.