✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Viva la Vida tour DVD - live in Barcelona trailer

BigFatNoises

I have been to a show during this tour, I know full well what Chris does. I don't think there's any problem with lying down to add to the mood, and I know he still sings. But it's the overall effort. He spends most of his time dancing around like an idiot these days, which badly affects his singing. Watch the Lost! music video, he's dancing the whole time and he gets out of breath and makes singing a lesser priority. I just think he needs to go back to how he used to be; he used to focus on singing well and playing an instrument. Yes he still danced around on a few songs, but not the whole concert. He already isn't a fantastic live singer, and him focusing more on dancing just makes it that much worse. I just wish he'd take a chill pill and act more like he did in the good old days. Live 2003 days.

If you've been to a show this tour, you should definitely be able to tell that his voice sounds great in the video. I've went to 5 Coldplay concerts during the VLV Tour starting with the free MSG show and ending with the show at SPAC. His voice obviously improved as touring went on as it always does every time they tour. If you listen to the MSG recording then to the music video of the VLV performance you should hear the difference and how much better Chris is singing. Another example of this is when Coldplay did Glastonbury during the X&Y era, in my opinion they did the concert to close to the release date of the album and hadn't experimented enough with live audiences to provide the best concert. When you listen to that audio and audio from months after the concert, you see the improvement.

As for the jumping around, in the end, a live concert is a theatrical performance and they played bigger arenas this year. I believe it was in the interview Chris did when he sings about the interviewers favorite tree, that he says as you do bigger concerts you need to move in ways that people in the back can see as well as people in the front. As concerts get bigger and bigger, Chris needs to move around more and more to be able to add to the entertainment of each person in the crowd. If he just sat in his seat the entire time, the amount of people complaining about the boring stage show would be higher than the amount of people there just listening to the music. I believe this is especially true since after their 3rd and 4th albums, their concerts aren't just hardcore coldplay fans anymore.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you've been to a show this tour, you should definitely be able to tell that his voice sounds great in the video. I've went to 5 Coldplay concerts during the VLV Tour starting with the free MSG show and ending with the show at SPAC. His voice obviously improved as touring went on as it always does every time they tour. If you listen to the MSG recording then to the music video of the VLV performance you should hear the difference and how much better Chris is singing. Another example of this is when Coldplay did Glastonbury during the X&Y era, in my opinion they did the concert to close to the release date of the album and hadn't experimented enough with live audiences to provide the best concert. When you listen to that audio and audio from months after the concert, you see the improvement.

As for the jumping around, in the end, a live concert is a theatrical performance and they played bigger arenas this year. I believe it was in the interview Chris did when he sings about the interviewers favorite tree, that he says as you do bigger concerts you need to move in ways that people in the back can see as well as people in the front. As concerts get bigger and bigger, Chris needs to move around more and more to be able to add to the entertainment of each person in the crowd. If he just sat in his seat the entire time, the amount of people complaining about the boring stage show would be higher than the amount of people there just listening to the music. I believe this is especially true since after their 3rd and 4th albums, their concerts aren't just hardcore coldplay fans anymore.

Well spoken, let Chris be Chris :wacko:

This is true. I noticed form when I saw them in August 2008 and when I saw them in August 2009. His voice improved a lot!!! Even if he doesnt sound the best, it is amazing being there. The energy that they give off is unreal. They put a lot of effort into pleasing the audience. And they do just that.

I think now that the tour has finally ended, there will be a very good possibility of them releasing a live DVD. Even oracle said their wouldn't be a live CD for sale, but did NOT say that there would not be a DVD. It would be a shame if they use that awesome footage for just an interview.

The X&Y clip is from Toronto, March 2006, and you can get find the whole show on Torrent if you didn't get it back then.

If you want perfect or near-perfect singing, pop in the VLV cd and wear your best pair of headphones :) Live shows, in my opinion, are not meant to be perfect liveless execution of the music, but rather a sharing and celebration of the music. We all danced at VLV concert and it was an unforgettable experience. I much prefer that to a concert where everyone sits perfectly still and the singer is flawless...yawn..

Did I ever say perfect??

I know concerts aren't perfect, I never said they should be. And I never said everyone should sit still. If you actually read what I wrote you'd see I said I liked dancing and movement, just to a certain degree. They are a band, not a dance team. Sound should come FIRST. If you want to see them dance around and do cool visuals, watch a music video.

This.

The whole experience of a Viva show can leave you on a high, but if you listen to these things you do notice that.

They were amazing before X&Y

Thank you, finally some sense.

If you listen to the MSG recording then to the music video of the VLV performance you should hear the difference and how much better Chris is singing. Another example of this is when Coldplay did Glastonbury during the X&Y era, in my opinion they did the concert to close to the release date of the album and hadn't experimented enough with live audiences to provide the best concert. When you listen to that audio and audio from months after the concert, you see the improvement.

I know Chris's singing has improved vastly. If you just listen to VLVOD you can hear that. But he retracts from that immensely when he gets out of breath dancing stupidly the whole time. He'd sound better than ever if he'd just tone it down a bit.

I have no problems with reaching the whole audience. In fact the thing where they go to the middle of the arena and do an acoustic set, it's pure genius and great entertainment. And like I said, when Chris runs into the crowd, as long as he still sings, it's great.

I wish you'd all stop putting words in my mouth. When did I ever say anything about the band sitting in one spot the whole show? Of course that would be boring!!! If you read what I wrote, you'd see I like them to keep it interesting and move around, so long as they don't sacrifice too much sound for it. All the tours before VLV weren't boring and they also sounded good. I'm not saying sit in a chair the whole time, just be more like the previous tours.

I hope they do release a Live DVD; I'd definitely buy it. I'd also like to hope it'd be of the Wembley show, but that's just complete bias on my part... (Imagine the epic of having the DVD from the actual concert you went to).

And, to get involved with this whole 'Chris should be less enthusiastic to ensure his sound quality was better' I tend to disagree. I think that the energy and enthusiasm put in by Chris jumping around made the atmosphere more electric and energetic. I would prefer to see him enjoying himself and having his singing a little 'off' than to have him note-perfect and stoic.

To take an example-- when I went to Snow Patrol; Gary Lightbody stood there completely motionless but his singing was amazing. However the crowd was less than enthusiastic and to be frank, a lot of people found it quite boring. Then, towards the middle of the gig Gary began 'dancing' around and getting into the music-- sacrificing his vocal quality... However, the crowd then followed suit and it became much more fun and preferred that half of the gig.

I go to the gigs to hear the music but to also enjoy myself. I think you have to reach a decent compromise.