✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Civil Twilight - No, not a Edward fangirl thread

Christa42

Wow, surprised somebody else here heard of them, I first heard Letters from the Sky at the end credits of I am Number Four, and I memorized the lyrics just to be able to hear it again :D

Human and Letters from the Sky belong to my all-time favourite songs.

• 3 weeks later...

New cd Holy Weather now out

Civil Twilight's new album Holy Weather is out today. Actually yesterday as my iTunes pre-order downloaded last night. I love it! I've had it on repeat all day long. How much longer will this band be flying under the radar? These guys from Capetown are GOOD!!

Holy Weather Spotify link..

http://open.spotify.com/album/2L5pMEboWg1QljpZqMm7Kt

• 2 weeks later...

well the first album of course! Self titled "Civil Twilight" the new album "Holy Weather" and then there is a Live in Soho (fantastic live album) which is on itunes.

and lookey here, they will be on Kimmel here's the tweet

Civil Twilight

6 hours ago

Civil Twilight will be performing on Jimmy Kimmel Live on Tuesday, May 1 at midnight (12am ET/11pm CT)!

RSVP that you'll be watching the broadcast and invite your friends.

373038_388699357818311_489722971_t.jpgCivil Twilight on Jimmy Kimmel Live!

Tuesday, May 1 at 12:00am at Jimmy Kimmel Live

• 2 months later...

so I am finally off my Radihead and Keane High and its time to listen to the other bands I love again. Totally obsessed with CT's new album and my fav song of the album is It's Over, actually listened to it 23 times to be exact yesterday.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/iZEdVx7bO2I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• 2 years later...

Here is an nice review comparing CT to some band we like!

http://www.elmoremagazine.com/2015/01/reviews/shows/civil-twilight

[h=2]Live Show Reviews[/h] [h=1]Civil Twilight[/h] [h=3]Rough Trade / Brooklyn, NY[/h] Live Show Reviews | January 20th, 2015

ci2-300x200.jpgCape Town, South Africa’s Civil Twilight is the opposite of an “indie darling.” In fact, they are proof that corporate rock still exists which, of course, has its pros and cons. The band is signed to Wind-up Records, the same folks that brought you Creed, Evanescence and Five For Fighting (remember the post 9/11 cool-down about how it’s not easy to be Superman?), and their music has been featured in TV programs like One Tree Hill and House, as well as a promo video during WrestleMania. Hearing their tunes at Williamsburg’s Rough Trade, I am not exactly surprised to learn this. Civil Twilight makes proficient, danceable poppy rock (or rock-y pop?) that is absolutely populist and bound for success. For a surly punk rocker like this writer however, it’s a bit hard to swallow.

Started by two brothers and their teenage friends, Civil Twilight is a band of handsome white men, some with slightly silly haircuts. Most of their “African” influences can be found in songs that sound very clearly like Peter Gabriel’s “In Your Eyes,” Vampire Weekend’s “Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa” and Paul Simon’s “You Can Call Me Al” respectively. On one song, an African conga rhythm is supplied by a laptop. Something about the high singing, choppy guitars and hypnotic grooves reminded me of the music of another South African artist, Dave Matthews. Despite being somewhat insufferable, he was once one of the most popular artists in America, and still holds a large market, one that Civil Twilight may very well fill.

Civil Twilight sounds like U2 and the Police, but truthfully more like Coldplay and the Killers, and a lot like 2000s Scottish stalwarts Idlewild. The musicians are strong, particularly Kevin Dailey who plays piano as well as some fancy lead guitar, evoking David Gilmour during an extended slow jam. My opinion of the band may be marred greatly by the lead singer, Steven McKellar, who also plays bass quite well. He comes off as kind of a mimbo (male bimbo) with his silly dances, constant running of his fingers through his beautiful hair and his vapid stage banter, which was returned consistently by cooing women in the crowd. As a singer, he exhibited Bono-esque acrobatics and at times resembled a straight Rufus Wainwright or a more socially acceptable Thom Yorke.

At one point, McKellar said something to the effect of, “Thanks for letting us experiment with you before the new record comes out and we hit it big. Thanks for filling this room, it’s really nice” before treating the crowd to some new material. In a town known for its eclectic taste in indie (which has its’ own issues), this emerging “alternative” act has a big, full room on a weeknight, and the crowd showed some of that enthusiasm that is hard to squeeze out of a Brooklyn audience. When McKellar sat down at the piano to play a sensitive tune, I decided it was time to move towards the exit. I noticed that their vinyl record, priced at $40, was sold out. Yes, it’s possible that I just saw the next Coldplay, Killers or even Dave Matthews Band, moments before they hit the big time.

– Jamie Frey