✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Scots snooker ace John Higgins rocked by £260k match fixing claims - watch the undercover video!

_47762331_009167078-1.jpg

Snooker world number one John Higgins has reportedly agreed to take a £261,000 bribe to lose frames in four separate matches later this year.

The News of the World says it has video of Higgins and his manager Pat Mooney making a deal in Ukraine on Friday. Mr Mooney is quoted as saying they feared for their safety at the time. There is no suggestion Higgins has ever thrown a frame or fixed a match.

World Snooker chairman Barry Hearn said an investigation had been launched. He told BBC Radio 5 live he would decide whether to suspend the player within the next 24 hours. He said he was "absolutely mortified" and the story had come as a "huge shock".

Mr Mooney is reported to have told the News of the World: "You have no idea what the circumstances were in Kiev, that's why I have no comment. But we were genuinely in fear for our safety."

The paper says three-time world champion Higgins refused to comment. Neither Higgins nor Mr Mooney has commented since the publication of the story. It alleges the sports star inquired at the meeting about the best ways to conceal the 300,000 euros ($398,000) to be received. In a published transcript, Higgins, 34, from Wishaw, North Lanarkshire, says it would be easy to affect the outcome of a frame so syndicates could place bets.

Many bookmakers now offer the option of betting on individual frames. Mr Mooney is a board member of the World Professional Billiards and Snooker Association (WPBSA), whose commercial arm is World Snooker. Mr Hearn, a promoter, recently proposed an overhaul of the sport including rule changes and boxing-style introductions for the players.

He told the BBC: "I'm absolutely mortified by it [the story]. I've known John Higgins for a long long time. Pat Mooney is a co-director of the WPBSA, the governing body of snooker and it's comes as just a huge shock and obviously an enormous blow to the integrity of the sport which is vital as everyone knows for the expansion plans we have. So it's really been a shattering experience at this moment in time and one that will be obviously immediately looked into by our disciplinary people under the WPBSA rules."

He said the newspaper allegations had forced him to consider his plans for the sport. "I want to meet with the players anyway on Wednesday anyway to discuss it. And this is now top of the agenda," he said.

The World Snooker Championship final begins in Sheffield later. Higgins, who was made an MBE in 2008 and is married with three children, is the current world champion and provisional world number one and has won a total of 21 ranking titles. He was unexpectedly knocked out of the current tournament in the second round by veteran Steve Davis.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8656637.stm

well he would certainly have known about match fixing at the time of the Davis match, whether the WC's would have been part of the deal, that wasn't mentioned. World Series only, don't know what that is?

But I'd be interested to see what is discussed on this if anything, during today's coverage!

well he would certainly have known about match fixing at the time of the Davis match, whether the WC's would have been part of the deal, that wasn't mentioned.

Well it would certainly explain a lot, as Higgins was definitely nowhere near his best against Davis, however well Davis played.;)

But I'd be interested to see what is discussed on this if anything, during today's coverage!

Well I don't see how they could just "ignore" it.

higcrop_2443562.jpg

Higgins suspended by WPBSA

Barry Hearn, chairman of the World Professional Billiards and Snooker Association, has confirmed that John Higgins has been suspended following allegations published in Sunday's News of the World.

Higgins and his manager Pat Mooney were filmed by the newspaper allegedly agreeing to accept £261,000 in return for arranging the outcome of four frames in matches to be played later this year.

Mooney himself has had his resignation from the WPBSA's board accepted by the sport's governing body.

More follows...

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12243_6128682,00.html

John-Higgins-001.jpg

John Higgins is alleged to have agreed to accept £261,000 in return for fixing the result of frames in matches later this year.

Allegations casts pall over today's World Championship final

World No1 John Higgins has been suspended from the professional snooker tour pending an investigation following allegations he had agreed to deliberately lose frames in tournaments later this year in return for cash.

The chairman of snooker's governing body, Barry Hearn, said he was "absolutely mortified" following the allegations, adding that Higgins had been immediately suspended while the Scot's manager, Pat Mooney, had resigned his position on the board of snooker's governing body, the World Professional Billiards and Snooker Association (WPBSA).

Higgins and Mooney were alleged by the News of the World to have agreed to accept €300,000 (£261,000) in return for arranging the outcome of four frames in matches to be played later this year.

The WPBSA chairman, Hearn, said there would be an immediate investigation and swift response to the claims, and added that he was considering his own position as chairman of the organisation.

"I've read the piece, I've seen the video," said Hearn. "Pat Mooney has resigned from the WPBSA board, while John Higgins has been suspended from all future WPBSA events subject to an investigation which begins immediately – and this will be dealt with in a summary fashion.

"I don't think I've ever felt so let down or kicked. We're working so hard on revitalising the game and there are lots of people pulling in the right direction. We wanted the headlines to be about Steve Davis' revitalisation, Stephen Hendry's recovery … but all we're talking about is the News of the World exposé on John Higgins and his manager, which has left me feeling devastated," he told talkSPORT.

"We can't afford, nor will I tolerate, anybody or anything that adversely affects the integrity of the game. I take this matter terribly seriously, obviously not prejudging. That's why there's a disciplinary process.

"I'm not prepared to see the sport die under this type of publicity.

"This situation has been allowed to happen and there are repercussions for the sport I hold very close. I've found a lot of things wrong in the business and commercial sense, such as a lack of events, kids not getting opportunities. I know in my heart of hearts I can put those things right – but I can't cope with this.

"My first reaction was to walk away but the second was, 'No, this means something to me' and I'm not prepared to do that. So I'm staying and dealing with it but I'm going to take it very seriously.

"We at the top of the game have a responsibility and my message to fans is, 'This is not going ruin this game'. We're going to deal with this issue."

There was no suggestion in the article that Higgins, 34, the reigning world snooker champion, has been involved in fixing the results of past frames or matches. Hearn said: "I don't see any place in sport, in any sport, for anyone who affects the credibility or the integrity of any sport.

"I'm not going to make knee-jerk reactions on this. I'm absolutely mortified because I know both these guys," he told the BBC's Radio 5 Live.

"It's come as a huge shock and obviously an enormous blow to the integrity of the sport which is vital for the expansion plans we have. It's really been a shattering experience and one which will be immediately looked into by our disciplinary people under the WPBSA rules."

Regarding his own future, Hearn said: "I have to consider my position and I have to consider that carefully and that's not something that's going to be done on a Sunday morning."

Hearn took the role with the WPBSA in December, and has revealed grand plans to shake up snooker, bringing in more tournaments and more prize-money from next season, while taking a personal share in the sport's commercial arm, World Snooker.

The allegations have emerged as the World Championship final begins at the Crucible this afternoon between Australia's Neil Robertson and the Scotsman Graeme Dott, and Hearn admitted the allegations "casts a shadow over that event".

"I've got to get advice on what I can and can't do under the (WPBSA) constitution," Hearn said. "You can never say someone is guilty before being proven so."

Hearn admitted such allegations have the potential to destroy the public perception of snooker. "John Higgins is the world No1 and defending world champion until he got beaten in this year's World Championship, and the answer is 'yes'. Once the integrity of the sport is taken away from the public perception … it affects the mindset of the population and affects the integrity.

"This particular story has the potential to affect the integrity of the entire sport."

Hearn had drawn up plans which, if they are passed by players at a vote, would see an overhaul of the current tour. The players are due to meet on Wednesday to discuss Hearn's proposals.

Hearn will now re-evaluate his own position following the allegations against Higgins and Mooney. "It's something I'm considering my position on," Hearn said. "I want to look at it in detail and I want to meet with the players on Wednesday to discuss it. This is now top of the agenda because I think it's fundamental to the successful plans I have in mind."

Looking at the threat of corruption to snooker, he said: "Anyone guilty of affecting it has no part in the game in the future. There's a hell of a rebuilding job, to make sure this is not something which is widespread within the game.

"Any of us who have played any sport knows it's quite easy to lose. You can do anything if your mind is set on thinking that the integrity of the game is irrelevant to you."

Hearn said he had already had a conversation with the WPBSA's newly-appointed board member David Douglas, a former Metropolitan Police detective chief superintendent, who was drafted in last month to look at disciplinary issues.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2010/may/02/john-higgins-snooker-bribe-match-fixing

Guest howyousawtheworld

There are some real gentlemen playing in snooker, none more so than today's finalists, but I have to say this, I am very disappointed in John. He's one player I admire 100%.

The match fixing in question was arranged for the Snooker World Series. This is a non world ranking series of competitions and are rarely shown on television. By fact, those competitions shown on the BBC, barring the Masters in January (which isn't a World Series or Ranking event) should not have been affected by any instances of match fixing from Higgins as they are not part of Snooker World Series. So the Higgins v Davis match shouldn't have been fixed but naturally, there will be much paranoia about whether this could have been influenced.

At the end of session they mentioned it again, but briefly.

Anyone open minded about whether Higgins genuinely wanted nothing to do with this?

I'm not, if he really felt scared and just agreed to everything to get the situation over and done with, he would have gone to the police as soon as he arrived back in the UK and the story wouldn't have broke in the way it has.

On the other hand he didn't seem to really care whether it was 200 or 300 thousand euro's, as if he never planned on getting it anyway. His manager said 300,000 but it wasn't exactly the firmest negotiating skills. One thing seems for certain to me, it was their first time getting involved in something like this, they clearly didn't show much experience of how they'd launder the money, just seemed clueless when it came to that.

Well, the way that the snooker world's been responding gives the impression that absolutely nobody is even considering to buy Higgins story.

I'm not, if he really felt scared and just agreed to everything to get the situation over and done with, he would have gone to the police as soon as he arrived back in the UK and the story wouldn't have broke in the way it has.
I agree that he should have 'fessed up if he felt in danger, he probably thought it will be forgotten about if he nor his manager said no more about it. That is of course assuming he is telling the truth.

I guess an investigation into how the parties met and under what circumstances may reveal even more. After all, the NOTW struggle to act as journalists at times, never mind mafia hitmen!

I agree that he should have 'fessed up if he felt in danger, he probably thought it will be forgotten about if he nor his manager said no more about it.

Well he'd probably be concerned about the 'mafia' he thought he was dealing with, no doubt they instructed him on which frames to lose.

Barry Hearn vows to stamp out 'sickness' in snooker

_47766810_hearn466i.jpg

Barry Hearn is anxious for any 'sickness' to be stamped out

Barry Hearn vows to stamp out 'sickness' in snooker

World Snooker chairman Barry Hearn says any sickness in snooker will be removed "in a brutal manner" if the allegations against John Higgins are proved. Higgins and his manager Pat Mooney were the victims of a News of the World sting in which the player allegedly agreed to take a £261,000 bribe. Hearn said: "If there is a sickness in snooker, it will be the death knell of snooker if it is not removed. If John is proven guilty the penalties will be very harsh indeed."

Higgins, 34, the world number one, was suspended pending an investigation on Sunday. He released a statement the same day in which he acknowledged that his reputation was at stake, but insisted his conscience was "100% clear". He added: "Others have now damaged that reputation and it is now left to me to clear my name. I have never been involved in any form of snooker match-fixing."

The evidence against Higgins centres on an alleged verbal agreement by the Scot that he would be prepared to lose specific frames in various future tournaments for money. Hearn has pledged to look into all the allegations, which appeared in the News of the World, "in the fastest possible timetable".

Former Metropolitan Police detective chief superintendent David Douglas has been asked to examine the evidence. Hearn said: "Obviously the guy [Higgins] is in bits. And I can sympathise, empathise, with him because it [snooker] has been his whole life.

"We had a very frank conversation because I was in a position to say 'look, I'm not judge and jury here, my job is to refer it to the appropriate authorities'. But as a friend, which I would classify myself to John Higgins because I've known him for 20 years, it doesn't look good, John'. We all watched the video, we've all seen it. Now, whatever reason there may be behind the scenes - and John has subsequently come out with a statement - I can only judge on the visual evidence that is in front of me. I just stressed to John that this is something that is not going away but it will be treated as a very, very serious offence, potentially, and if he is found guilty will carry the most severe of penalties. And obviously that's very upsetting for him, which I can understand because it's his life, his living. I believe he's a proud man, I actually believe he's an honest man but I can't ignore the evidence in front of me and the damage potentially it could do to the game."

Hearn was speaking at an open media session in Sheffield on Monday, two hours before the final of the World Championship between Neal Robertson and Graeme Dott was due to resume.

The mastermind behind darts' commercial rebirth, Hearn has been involved as a both a promoter and player manager in snooker since the 1970s, with Steve Davis one of his first high-profile clients. Last December, he became the new chairman of the World Professional Billiards and Snooker Association. Hearn admitted he had questioned whether he wished to continue in the job.

"Potentially this is our worst hour," he said. "When something like this challenges the very fabric of what you believe in you look at yourself in the mirror and ask yourself 'is this what I want? This is huge backward step for me personally. Issues that involve integrity of the sport hurt me very badly. It's a body blow but it's not a knockout blow. If we can put our house in order we can preserve the integrity of the sport and the damage can be overcome."

On taking up his role at the WPBSA last December, Hearn promised a "fresh approach" to the sport, with Higgins one of the players voicing his approval. Higgins said at the time: "The game has been slowly dying for years but I am sure Barry is the man to breathe life back into it."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/snooker/8658170.stm