✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

How would you like to be called Puppy, Shy or Bean?

mc_squared

Puppy, Shy and Bean! The names you might give a pet that parents are giving to CHILDREN

By Daily Mail Reporter

Last updated at 3:49 AM on 28th July 2010

The likes of Jack or Olivia - Britain's most popular names for newborns - are obviously a little too ordinary for some parents.

A list of the decade's most unusual names, compiled after a trawl through the records since 2000, reveals a startling selection guaranteed to get youngsters noticed.

Each of the unusual names on the top 20 list - such as Shy, Unity and Bean - has only been given to between one and 15 babies over the past ten years.

article-1298078-05CBD52D0000044D-396_148x440.jpg

article-1298078-0A6E3D8F000005DC-293_148x440.jpg

article-1298078-0195BBC6000004B0-274_148x440.jpg

Fame blame: Parents are naming children after idols, Bowie, Rooney and Cobain

Rooney, Bowie and Cobain have been chosen by parents were obviously influenced by the celebrity footballer and musicians.

There are also a handful of hippy-style names such as Stone, Gift, Heaven and Echo, while the fashion world might have inspired Denim, Diesel and Armani.

Faye Mingo, spokesman for Bounty Parenting Club, which carried out the survey, said: 'The majority of parents polled said their unusual choice was because they didn't want their child to share anyone else's name.

article-1298078-0A977668000005DC-574_233x254.jpg

'But parents do need to think very carefully about everything that comes attached to an unusual name as it can definitely shape a child's experiences, from how they are treated at school and beyond.'

Bounty conducted a poll of 3,000 parents to find out how many had tried to give their baby an unusual name.

A third claimed their choice for their child was unusual but more than one in ten regretted their decision to veer from the norm.

Initial reactions from friends and family when told the newborn's name included surprise (17 per cent), questions about how to spell it (27 per cent) and requests to repeat the name again to check they had heard properly.

But 85 per cent of mums and dads said people reacted more kindly to the name once the child had grown into it and developed a personality to match.

However, one in ten parents said their child didn't like their name - and 14 per cent have asked to change it already.

The poll also showed that 75 per cent of those who chose to give their child a traditional name such as Robert, David or Jennifer believe parents who give their offspring unusual names are paving the way for them to be bullied.

And six out of ten claim there is nothing wrong with a sensible name, saying those who make 'original' choices are being selfish and aren't thinking of the child.

Might as well get it over with at an early age because when they grow up, they do things like this....

article-1280741742498-0AA667C1000005DC-742327_466x440.jpg

'Miss Alphabet' changes name to include a word for each letter

A new mother, formerly known as Ceejay Epton, is believed to have the longest name in Europe after changing it by deed poll to include a word for each letter in the alphabet.

Ceejay A Apple B Boat C Cat D Dog E Elephant F Flower G Goat H House I Igloo J Jellyfish K Kite L Lion M Monkey N Nurse O Octopus P Penguin Q Queen R Robot S Sun T Tree U Umbrella V Violin W Whale X X-Ray Y Yo-Yo Z Zebra Terryn Feuji-Sharemi - better known as 'Mummy' to son Kian - says she made the change ‘for a bit of a laugh’ after her baby was born.

‘My friend wanted to be called “Pink”, so I thought I might as well change my name too,’ said the 22-year-old from Doncaster, South Yorkshire. ‘I’ve just had a baby, so I thought I would change it to help teach him the alphabet.’

The Legal Deed Poll Service charges just £10 to change your name. ‘We get people applying for all kinds of crazy name changes all the time but this one really is different, even for us,’ said LDPS chief executive Jamie Jackson.

‘We wish “Miss Alphabet” the best of luck and bet her little boy will know the entire alphabet in next to no time.’

In 2008, a teenager known to his parents as George Garratt claimed the Guinness World Record for the longest personal name registered on a birth certificate when he changed his moniker to - wait for it - Captain Fantastic Faster Than Superman Spiderman Batman Wolverine Hulk And The Flash Combined.

http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/836818-miss-alphabet-changes-name-to-include-a-word-for-each-letter