✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Interpol warns Koran burning may trigger attacks‎

busybeeburns

(Reuters) - The international police agency Interpol warned governments worldwide on Thursday of an increased risk of terror attacks if the planned burning of the Koran by a U.S. pastor went ahead.

"If the proposed Koran burning by a pastor in the U.S. goes ahead as planned, there is a strong likelihood that violent attacks on innocent people would follow," Interpol said in a statement, adding that it was acting partly on a request from Pakistan.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSLDE6881OU20100909

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WnZWaRFgDc&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - The Buzz: Koran burning controversy[/ame]

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

burn-a-koran-day1.jpg

Obama urges Fla. pastor to call off Koran burning

President Obama urged a Florida pastor Thursday to call off a plan to burn copies of the Koran on Sept. 11, warning that such a "stunt" would amount to a "recruitment bonanza for al-Qaeda" and would endanger Americans.

Obama added his voice to a chorus of criticism of the proposed Koran-burning in an interview broadcast Thursday on ABC's "Good Morning America" program. Amid continuing protests in countries such as Afghanistan, he urged Terry Jones, pastor of a small evangelical church in Gainesville, Fla., to listen to his "better angels" and cancel his plan to burn copies of the Muslim holy book on the ninth anniversary of the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.

"If he's listening, I just hope he understands that what he's proposing to do is completely contrary to our values as Americans; that this country has been built on the notions of religious freedom and religious tolerance," Obama said. "And as a very practical matter, as commander in chief of the Armed Forces of the United States, I just want him to understand that this stunt that he is talking about pulling could greatly endanger our young men and women in uniform who are in Iraq, who are in Afghanistan. We're already seeing protests against Americans just by the mere threat that he's making."

Obama added: "Look, this is a recruitment bonanza for al-Qaeda. You know, you could have serious violence in places like Pakistan and Afghanistan. This could increase the recruitment of individuals who would be willing to blow themselves up in American cities or European cities."

The president said he hopes Jones "listens to those better angels and understands that this is a destructive act that he's engaging in."

Asked whether he feels helpless or angry about having to deal with the fallout from the actions of a single pastor with a few dozen followers, Obama acknowledged, "It is frustrating." He noted that "we are a government of laws, and so we have to abide by those laws. And my understanding is that he can be cited for public burning, but that's the extent of the laws that we have available to us." The interview with "Good Morning America" was conducted Wednesday.

http://www.washingtonpost.com

Quranburning295.jpg

UK: Terry Jones, the “pastor” of a minuscule (congregation 50 – presumably on a good week) Christian church in Florida is planning to set light to copies of the Koran as a commemoration of 9/11. This is, by any decent standards, a repugnant, gratituous and, especially in the present climate, morally reprehensible thing to do.

But can the act 0f one whackjob of whom scarcely anybody had previously heard – apart from some earlier bizarre publicity-seeking misadventures – really do irreparable damage to relations between the West and the Muslim world such as to “threaten world peace”? President Yudhoyono of Indonesia apparently believes so. He has declared unequivocally that this act will render “useless” all the efforts that have been made by his country and the US to build bridges between Islam and the Western world. Really? Entirely useless? All those efforts will count for nothing as a consequence of the grotesque gesture of a man who speaks for virtually no one?

Malaysia’s foreign minister, Anifah Aman, has described the proposed book-burning as a “heinous crime”. Well it certainly is heinous but under US law, it is not a crime (at least not unless it provokes a disturbance of the peace) so the demands for President Obama to ban it are untenable. He has no legal power under the Constitution to prevent any act of “free expression” however nasty. This is presumably why Rehman Malik, Pakistan’s interior minister, has asked Interpol to intervene to ban it – which is simply absurd.

Meanwhile, Mr Aman accepts that “the Christians also don’t condone this action” even as he asks “America” (by which he means its government) to take “appropriate action so this thing will not happen.” But if he understands that the Christians – and almost everybody else in the West - repudiate this act, why does he insist that it has such tide-turning significance in world affairs? (The Christian question has been easily dealt with by the street crowds of Pakistan: they are describing this as a “plan by Zionists”. When in doubt, blame the Jews – even when they have nothing to do with it.)

The most sensible comment thus far has come from Hillary Clinton: “It is regrettable that a pastor in Gainesville, Florida, with a church of no more than 50 people can make this outrageous and distrustful, disgraceful plan and get the world’s attention.” I’ll say. And wouldn’t it be best for the political leaders of countries genuinely interested in world peace to avoid increasing the ridiculous amount of attention that this unpleasant man has succeeded in attracting?

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk

Obama implores minister to call off Quran burning

Obama implores minister to call off Quran burning

WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama is exhorting a Florida minister to "listen to those better angels" and call off his plan to engage in a Quran-burning protest this weekend.

Obama told ABC's "Good Morning America" in an interview aired Thursday that he hopes the Rev. Terry Jones of Florida listens to the pleas of people who have asked him to call off the plan. The president called it a "stunt."

"If he's listening, I hope he understands that what he's proposing to do is completely contrary to our values as Americans," Obama said. "That this country has been built on the notion of freedom and religious tolerance."

"And as a very practical matter, I just want him to understand that this stunt that he is talking about pulling could greatly endanger our young men and women who are in uniform," the president added.

Said Obama: "Look, this is a recruitment bonanza for Al Qaida. You could have serious violence in places like Pakistan and Afghanistan." The president also said Jones' plan, if carried out, could serve as an incentive for terrorist-minded individuals "to blow themselves up" to kill others.

"I hope he listens to those better angels and understands that this is a destructive act that he's engaging in," the president said of Jones.

Obama has gotten caught up in the burgeoning controversy surrounding the practice of Islam in America, saying at one point that he believed that Muslims had a right to build a mosque near the site of the Sept. 11 terror attacks in New York City.

Earlier, several members of his adminstration, including Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton, had denounced the Quran-burning plan.

Also, Army Gen. David Petraeus, the ground commander in Afghanistan, has said the act of burning the Quran could endanger troops fighting there.

On Wedneday, the State Department has ordered U.S. embassies around the world to assess their security ahead of the planned weekend demonstration in Florida.

Officials said U.S. diplomatic posts have been instructed to convene "emergency action committees" to determine the potential for protests over the congregation's plans to burn the Quran to commemorate the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks. The posts are to warn American citizens in countries where protests may occur.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100909/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_quran_burning_obama_plea

This Pastor is a complete moron and if he goes through this it will cause a lot of violence.

That guy is such a tool. HE is an extremist. The vast majority of people here don't think the way that numnut does.

One reporter asked him "What Would Jesus Do"; he responded that Jesus would do the same thing. Okay, I'm no expert on Christianity, but I highly doubt Jesus would go burn a bunch of Korans.

That guy is such a tool. HE is an extremist. The vast majority of people here don't think the way that numnut does.

One reporter asked him "What Would Jesus Do"; he responded that Jesus would do the same thing. Okay, I'm no expert on Christianity, but I highly doubt Jesus would go burn a bunch of Korans.

And so do I.

I have read that this pastor's action (if he burns one or several copies of the Koran) might be a danger to the soldiers in Afghanistan. They might be attacked by angry Muslims.

And so do I.

I have read that this pastor's action (if he burns one or several copies of the Koran) might be a danger to the soldiers in Afghanistan. They might be attacked by angry Muslims.

You mean angry extremists. Non-extremist Muslims would no more physically attack people for burning the Koran than non-extremist Christians would for people burning the Bible.;)

This is all about extremists, not the vast majority of Muslims or Christians at the end of the day.:dozey:

Non-extremist Muslims would no more physically attack people for burning the Koran than non-extremist Christians would for people burning the Bible[/color].;)

This is all about extremists, not the vast majority of Muslims or Christians at the end of the day.:dozey:

I know and I agree. So thanks.

I know and I agree. So thanks.

I know that's what you meant, of course. Just want to make sure people don't mistakenly get the wrong impression.;)

Is there no religious incitement law in the U.S that would forbid such provocative actions, anyway?

If there isn't, there should be.;)

Demonstrating against the building of a mosque in a sensitive area is one thing, but this is totally another. There is no justification for it whatsoever.:dozey:

Is there no religious incitement law in the U.S that would forbid such provocative actions, anyway?

If there isn't, there should be.;)

No, I don't think there is any type of law like that here. At least, not explicitly relating to religion. The big thing over here is separation of church and state. That's why we left Engerland centuries ago, you know; for religious freedom. :lol: Separation of church and state... so much so, that they are considered tax-exempt entities.

Obama mentioned that they might be able to cite him for burning stuff (regardless of what it may be) if it violates local law. Basically, if he doesn't have/get a Burning Permit, they could cite him for that. But I think that's all that can be done legally.

No, I don't think there is any type of law like that here. At least, not explicitly relating to religion. The big thing over here is separation of church and state. So much so that they are considered tax-exempt entities.

Obama mentioned that they might be able to cite him for burning stuff (regardless of what it may be) if it violates local law. Basically, if he doesn't have/get a Burning Permit, they could cite him for that. But I think that's all that can be done legally.

Well that's ridiculous. I'm pretty sure the new "incitement" law in the UK would see him arrested for even threatening to do it.;)

Racial and Religious Hatred Act 2006

Summary

3.The Act amends the Public Order Act 1986 (“the 1986 Act”) by creating new offences of stirring up hatred against persons on religious grounds and amends section 24A of the Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984 so that the powers of citizens arrest do not apply to the offences of stirring up religious and racial hatred.

4.The new offences apply to the use of words or behaviour or display of written material (new section 29B), publishing or distributing written material (new section 29C), the public performance of a play (new section 29D), distributing, showing or playing a recording (new section 29E), broadcasting or including a programme in a programme service (new section 29F) and the possession of written materials or recordings with a view to display, publication, distribution or inclusion in a programme service (new section 29G). For each offence the words, behaviour, written material, recordings or programmes must be threatening and intended to stir up religious hatred. Religious hatred is defined as hatred against a group of persons defined by reference to religious belief or lack of religious belief.

^ :stunned: That seems a bit Big Brother-ish. Section 4 appears on the surface to define the offenses pretty well, but I'd still think there'd be fuzzy areas. One person may think a particular thing incites, another person may not (if it falls into the fuzzy area). It makes sense from a "do unto others as you would have them do unto you" standpoint, but to implement it by law... I dunno.

If I was any sort of person in power, my orders would be to take this guy down, and his followers what ever the cost. This should not be happening.

I hope it does not go ahead, as the stage its got to, and the outcry, it would make ones look good.

This though I fear would have put ideas in peoples head, and something now like this will already be on youtube, as a copy cats if the not on there from long before.

Failing this, cut all news feeds whatsover that will shown the bruning. I am sure if it come to it, someone like the CIA could cut all news feeds etc. All there would be is some crappy camera phone standard. No one wants to see this happen anyway in the first place, it would take someone sick to find some sort of satisfaction to even to want to see it.

Im muslim and im from pakistan and as everyone considers this country an extremist country i can only say that some1 should tell this pastor that we muslims think that jesus will come and save us like christians , the only difference is we muslims believe he time traveled to the future and i think christians believe in his rebirth. btw burning a Quran is the best way to dispose it.

this will just create the gap between west and muslims which the media on both sides have created.

im the only person who see's the similarity between this incident and true blood's episode whr the priest wanted to burn a vampire. i just hope the same thing doesn't happen to the pastor Wht happened to the priest in true blood.:laugh3:

After reading the story, I think this is long from over.

Terry Jones said he was calling off the event after the group behind a planned Islamic centre near Ground Zero in New York agreed to relocate it.

But the cultural centre's organisers said they had no plans to move it.

And the pastor goes on to say, "If it's not moved, then I think Islam is a very poor example of religion. I think that would be very pitiful. I do not expect that."

Wow. Just... wow.

After reading the story, I think this is long from over.

Terry Jones said he was calling off the event after the group behind a planned Islamic centre near Ground Zero in New York agreed to relocate it.

But the cultural centre's organisers said they had no plans to move it.

And the pastor goes on to say, "If it's not moved, then I think Islam is a very poor example of religion. I think that would be very pitiful. I do not expect that."

Wow. Just... wow.

Okay, now I can say it. :nice:

What a fucking retard. Does he think that if he burns their holy book they'll want to listen to his opinions on their religion? :|