✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Braddock's European Tour (Or 'Braddock - European Son')

Prince Myshkin

OK, so in a years time, I hope to have enough money for about 3-5 months of traveling in Europe before settling in Germany and working for anywhere between 6 months and a couple of years, depending on how much I enjoy it. My preferred work (which I will of course be arranging before I begin my travels) would be to teach English at a school although this is by no means my only option. I am enrolling on a German language refresher course (since I used to speak it quite well though haven't used it for about 6 years).

I will be going with at least one other person, although probably two and our aim is to visit the likes of France, Italy, Austria, Switzerland, Belgium, maybe a Scandinavian country such as Norway and finally Germany. One of my friends can speak French, one is learning Italian and I will be confident with my German.

The reason for me starting this thread is for advice from others who have traveled foreign countries and also for recommendations of places to visit (particularly architecture and cuisine). Also if anybody has any suggestions of other countries I should visit that would be great, although I cannot guarantee I will be able to go as I am traveling with others and we all have to agree.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Belgium, you absolutely have to go in the south. It is beautiful, landscape-like, and just the kayak rides there are enough to visit the place. When I did it, we passed next to three castles and had the best of views. And then you have to see the city of Ghent in there, my favorite city in the whole world, it's beautiful and the atmospehre in general is great. and taste their beer!!! there is a whooooooole lot of pubs and such in Brussels where they make their own.

That's all I can think of right now.

In Belgium, you absolutely have to go in the south. It is beautiful, landscape-like, and just the kayak rides there are enough to visit the place. When I did it, we passed next to three castles and had the best of views. And then you have to see the city of Ghent in there, my favorite city in the whole world, it's beautiful and the atmospehre in general is great. and taste their beer!!! there is a whooooooole lot of pubs and such in Brussels where they make their own.

Thank you very much for your contribution. Ghent is a place I have heard of in the past as being a great place to visit. When I get into planning the trip in depth I shall be sure to look into activities like those you suggested. Castles are amaaaazing! I shall be sure to taste their chocolate too :wideeyed:

Thank you again :hug:

Norway is very expensive. Just saying.

Yes, I imagine it is. I have been to Stockholm and that was very expensive. If I go to Norway that shall be at the end of the tour and if I have enough money. I've just always wanted to go since being in Sweden.

Wow, finally you revealed your plans :cheesy: I suggest you to visit Czech Republic because Prague is awesome ;) and Norway of course :D

Czech Republic is a good call! Prague is supposed to have some stunning architecture. In fact, Hitler was responsible for the creation of some of this as he planned to have Prague as a 'Circus of the Jews' after he had secured Europe, with part of the city set aside for people to come and visit to marvel at these 'subhumans', as he believed they were, who would have been eradicated elsewhere on the continent. He commissioned quite a lot of building work to be done and some of it that actually got made is beautiful. Sickening of course.

Sweden's cheap compared.

If you don't want me in your country just tell me :p

Nah, just kidding. I hope to save up plenty of money, like far too much than I actually need. And when I am traveling I don't plan to spend massive amounts of money on things like accommodation or transport. Norway will be my treat, hopefully.

That sounds awesome! I'd love to travel all over Europe someday

Yeah. I would have liked to have done America too, but it would have taken so much longer to save up. I think it will be good for me to come up against some language barriers too and experience cultures very different to England. Hopefully I'll be able to do America some day too.

I just get the feeling that if I don't do this now, when I am at this crossroads in my life, I won't get the chance again. If I settle down and start a career it's forty long years of work.

Yes, I imagine it is. I have been to Stockholm and that was very expensive. If I go to Norway that shall be at the end of the tour and if I have enough money. I've just always wanted to go since being in Sweden.

Czech Republic is a good call! Prague is supposed to have some stunning architecture. In fact, Hitler was responsible for the creation of some of this as he planned to have Prague as a 'Circus of the Jews' after he had secured Europe, with part of the city set aside for people to come and visit to marvel at these 'subhumans', as he believed they were, who would have been eradicated elsewhere on the continent. He commissioned quite a lot of building work to be done and some of it that actually got made is beautiful. Sickening of course.

i've been to Prague last year, i can send you some photos, the architecture is really beautiful ;)

SO cool to hear this !!

I live very very close to Ghent :sneaky:

and yeah , I must admit Ghent is awesome !

but if you go in Summer there'll be more atmospehre then in Winter

(by Summer I mean , July and August )

especially July , 'cause then there are a lot of student just hangin' around

and the Belgian chocolate is the best :smug:

I have some "bars" to recommend

:nice:

EDIT : If you would go to Ghent , I have a lot of tips , and things you have to visit ! ;)

If you don't want me in your country just tell me :p

Nah, just kidding. I hope to save up plenty of money, like far too much than I actually need. And when I am traveling I don't plan to spend massive amounts of money on things like accommodation or transport. Norway will be my treat, hopefully.

:lol:

I'm not sure exactly what to recommend, the fjords are pretty cool, though. Yeah.

i've been to Prague last year, i can send you some photos, the architecture is really beautiful ;)

Sweet! Feel free to post them - it will add colour to the thread. Perhaps in the future I can take pictures of myself in the same places!

SO cool to hear this !!

I live very very close to Ghent :sneaky:

and yeah , I must admit Ghent is awesome !

but if you go in Summer there'll be more atmospehre then in Winter

(by Summer I mean , July and August )

especially July , 'cause then there are a lot of student just hangin' around

and the Belgian chocolate is the best :smug:

I have some "bars" to recommend

:nice:

EDIT : If you would go to Ghent , I have a lot of tips , and things you have to visit ! ;)

Cool! Well Ghent sounds as though it will be a must. I imagine it will be late summer (probably August) when I travel since I want to begin in warm weather. It would make things much easier.

When I begin to plan this properly I will bump the thread and ask you for your suggestions. I'm already super excited about the Kayaking when I go to Belgium, as mentioned above!

:lol:

I'm not sure exactly what to recommend, the fjords are pretty cool, though. Yeah.

I shall have to go to a football match too!

Cool! Well Ghent sounds as though it will be a must. I imagine it will be late summer (probably August) when I travel since I want to begin in warm weather. It would make things much easier.

When I begin to plan this properly I will bump the thread and ask you for your suggestions. I'm already super excited about the Kayaking when I go to Belgium, as mentioned above!

Begin with warm weather in Belgium ? well I wouldn't count on that :\

August would be okay tho ... but there won't be as much students...

'cause thats a study month if you didn't pass exams ....

and yeah , the kayaking is great ! :nice:

Begin with warm weather in Belgium ? well I wouldn't count on that :\

August would be okay tho ... but there won't be as much students...

'cause thats a study month if you didn't pass exams ....

and yeah , the kayaking is great ! :nice:

Well I imagine it will be slightly warmer or at worst the same as England. My main thing is not to start during the Winter, as that would be harder. I'm not expecting heat waves.

Go to France! Haha :tongue:

Are there things you particularly like?

France is my first stop! I have a friend who is living there right now with his girlfriend in Paris who I will visit and I have promised to pop in and say hi to Jade from this board.

I like beautiful scenery, delicious food and wonderful music, so I'm hoping to catch a gig or two whilst I pass through. France could be one of the places I stop in longest, aside from Germany, since I actually have somebody I can stop with.