✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

From X Factor to ordinary Joe: McElderry moves back home home after being dumped by Simon Cowell

mc_squared

Guest howyousawtheworld
Uhm, uh, er, what?! I don't go 'out of my way', I don't have a compulsion to try and be aggressive, if someone's posting reasonably I will respond reasonably. Where did the WoM section come in?

I won't be buying a ticket on Wednesday.

WoM or sections outside this one I meant.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I already answered this but if someone is acting reasonably I will respond reasonably, so to do the calculation for you, if Mark says something I agree with on any section then I will agree with him if I feel it's necessary and I'm sure I have at some point.

Now why the hell are we talking about this? This is the most pointless conversation I've ever had.

I'm going to go talk to wall for some stimulation.

I expect the U.S. version of X Factor will be more successful in that way, just as American Idol has been.

There are probably at least a dozen winners and finalists of A.I. that have gone on to have phenomenal success, such as Kelly Clarkson (internationally), Carrie Underwood, Chris Daltry and Adam Lambert.

More are likely to follow from the current series too.

What's more, I've noticed that the teenage contestants in A.I. are infinitely more mature and "seasoned" than their equivalents in UK X Factor. The gulf is incredible.

It's not the same though, is it? Everyone in Liverpool loved Rebecca Ferguson because she's a local girl who happens to be a decent singer. You don't get that with the American version.

I think Rebecca Ferguson is actually a great singer, in terms of the style that she belonged to, you don't find many people who can sing in that genre. If pushed she could make some popular material, possibly out-dated but in pop culture going retro can still be popular.

But she didn't win, forget about her (In the minds of Syco). Too bad she never had the confidence to show she really wanted to win, otherwise she would have. I can't remember the name of the guy who did win, but he's like the other million Olly Murs out there (Not sure why I remember his name?) who will quickly be forgotten.

It was Matt, wasn't it. I see your point although I think her lack of confidence kind of made her likeable. She definitely became more confidence towards the end of the show whereas Matt just seemed a bit arrogant. Maybe it's just me but I really didn't like him.

Didn't Olly do quite well? He's more successful than Joe anyway.

I think I remember Olly because he was on Buzzcocks, so he must have gained some form of attention, I have definitely seen one actual musical video from him. But if I were him, I'd be saving every penny.

That said Shane Ward, who comes from one of the worst estates in Dublin where there is a stabbing/shooting every other week, who I thought had packed in his career years ago, I just saw on American Idol the other day (It was a 30 second 'you happen to be in the audience' interview but still), so that just threw my measure of success right out the window.

It's not the same though, is it? Everyone in Liverpool loved Rebecca Ferguson because she's a local girl who happens to be a decent singer. You don't get that with the American version.

I think you do. The people in the contestants' home towns always go nuts when their "idol" returns.

It was Matt, wasn't it. I see your point although I think her lack of confidence kind of made her likeable. She definitely became more confidence towards the end of the show whereas Matt just seemed a bit arrogant. Maybe it's just me but I really didn't like him.

As with countless others, I think they both have some talent, but are ultimately very forgettable, as neither of them has any "depth".

Didn't Olly do quite well? He's more successful than Joe anyway.

That isn't saying much!:P

I think I remember Olly because he was on Buzzcocks, so he must have gained some form of attention, I have definitely seen one actual musical video from him. But if I were him, I'd be saving every penny.

That said Shane Ward, who comes from one of the worst estates in Dublin where there is a stabbing/shooting every other week, who I thought had packed in his career years ago, I just saw on American Idol the other day (It was a 30 second 'you happen to be in the audience' interview but still), so that just threw my measure of success right out the window.

What happened to him was inevitable. His career was only ever likely to be short-lived in what is an already saturated "pop" market.

To have any longevity in "chartland" nowadays you either have to become a freakshow like GaGa, look like a model or dress like a hooker (several spring to mind in that category).

It has nothing to do with how well you can actually sing.:dozey:

Don't get me wrong - I don't have anything against any of these X Factor winners per se. I'm just being a realist.

The only ones I don't have any time for are talentless clowns like Jedward, Chico, Wagner and the Cheapy Girls.

They just make a mockery of the entire industry.

Incidentally, it's incredible how much more mature, rounded, confident and "ready" the American contestants are than their British counterparts.:stunned:

I don't actually give a flying fig who wins these competitions, as I'm never going to buy into any of them.

At the end of the day, the shows are about entertainment first and foremost,

and they generally deliver on that score.;)

For the last time, just accept this, Lady Gaga can sing, officially, with range and in key, officially.

Well just accept this - without all her costumes, gimmicks, publicity stunts and excruciatingly annoying songs, she would be absolutely nowhere. That's a fact.:dozey:

1st off- you are dodging the issue, we deal with THAT first, then you can move on, that's not how a debate works. I put it to you she is definitely in key, and has a strong range with her vocals, do I need to get the live youtube videos for you again? You are so biased and unreasonable that I think there's a possibility you actually believe your own bullshit, total maniac. But yes, just face up to it, if you didn't know anything about her and for example she was on American Idol playing piano, you would definitely think she has talent. You may hate her for all the other gimmicks and shit she chooses to go with, fair enough, but saying she's un-talented is another issue, even you know that isn't true.

And secondly- hahahahahaha! How in anyones mind is that a FACT? Please explain to me how you can scientifically prove that?

It's so funny how you constantly bring up this compulsion that you think everything I say, I say it as a fact (Even though I shouldn't have to say "In my opinion..." before every word I write) and then you go and write something like that.

That is the most hilarious 'fact' I've ever seen, I actually can't believe you are for real sometimes.

But anyway, the song 'Just Dance' was no.1 for like 10 weeks or something, in the video shes dressed fairly normally, she has a bit of a Bowie lightning bolt across her face but there's nothing bizarre or strange, nobody knew anything about her or her strange ways, but she was an instant hit. It was after that she started getting experimental, so explain that. You say she would have gotten nowhere without all the gimmicks, but she already had a worldwide hit single before the gimmicks, isn't that getting somewhere for a start?

Before you move on to another one of your 'facts' just firstly go back to that scenario, a young lady aptly dressed gets on the stage at American Idol and starts playing the piano to a top level and singing in key with range, would you find her talented?

Well just accept this - without all her costumes, gimmicks, publicity stunts and excruciatingly annoying songs, she would be absolutely nowhere. That's a fact.:dozey:

Oh and if howyousawtheworld is reading, with regards to our conversation the other day, THIS is exactly the kind of scenario that turns me from being a reasonable human being to being aggressive, it's just so incredibly beyond stupid that it can't be taken seriously, and I'm not going to respect such blatant bullshit and respond to it as if it deserves a rational thought.

I would say the fact she got absolutely nowhere by just singing and playing the piano pretty much proves my point. She needed to cultivate that freaky image to get anywhere. I reckon she already looked weird on her first video, anyway.:dozey:

Oh and if howyousawtheworld is reading, with regards to our conversation the other day, THIS is exactly the kind of scenario that turns me from being a reasonable human being to being aggressive, it's just so incredibly beyond stupid that it can't be taken seriously, and I'm not going to respect such blatant bullshit and respond to it as if it deserves a rational thought.

You still got unnecessarily personal, though, just like someone else in another thread a short time ago.;)

And by the way, I don't know whether you genuinely like Gaga or are just playing devil's advocate (as is often the case), but I seriously hope it's the latter.

Very simple, I don't know why you're so afraid to answer a question, does Lady Gaga have talent?

I'm not going to write anything else because you'll just focus on that and ignore the question I've asked THREE TIMES now.

Very simple, I don't know why you're so afraid to answer a question, does Lady Gaga have talent?

In the same way that the likes of Jedward, Chico, Wagner and the Cheapy Girls do, yes.

However, because of all the fakery, I can't take her any more seriously than them.

It's a bit like asking whether The Chuckle Brothers, The Krankies and Keith Lemon have talent.

Of course they do in a sense, but it doesn't make them any less annoying.

If you do have talent, it's ultimately what you do with it that counts. It just so happens I'm not impressed by "circus acts" or those which rely heavily on image in order to sell themselves.

Maybe you are.:\

The other day Jennifer Hudson, who only came seventh in a series of American Idol (and later won an Oscar for her part in Dreamgirls), performed on "Graham Norton".

No gimmicks, no costume, just her voice. That's all she needed to impress. That's how it should be.

Olly's been on tour as well I think. I know someone who went to see him.

I recently saw the band, who won the first ever casting show in Germany in a British magazine. That was about 10 years ago when I still lived in Switzerland. I had no idea they were still around.

I think you do. The people in the contestants' home towns always go nuts when their "idol" returns.

I'm sure they do but it's not the same for people over here.

Olly's been on tour as well I think. I know someone who went to see him.

I'm sure he's pretty entertaining if you like that sort of thing. I've heard much worse.;)

A lot of the finalists end up on the "holiday camp" circuit. My parents saw "Jamie Afro" recently.;)

I recently saw the band, who won the first ever casting show in Germany in a British magazine. That was about 10 years ago when I still lived in Switzerland. I had no idea they were still around.

Which band?:confused: