✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Why do you like Coldplay?

jennygirl5891

I am a student working on an album project regarding Coldplay for a class. One of the requirements was that we not know very much about the band. I am trying to find out specifically why fans like them, what you think made them so popular, and so forth. Can you help me out? How do they connect with fans? Why is Coldplay successful?

I suppose you need to view it from a neutral point, so here's a start:

At concerts:

The band is always trying to make you feel like they actually want to be there. Not just playing their set and then go without saying a word.

In other countries Chris always tries to address the audience in their language and refers to something from their city or what's up in the news or current events and sometimes they cover a song that has to do with the location of the concert.

He talks with the audience and all around they make you feel like you're part of something special happening.

To get closer to the audience in the back they played a couple of songs at another little stage at the opposite end of the stage during the last tour and therefore managed to make a stadium gig feel somewhat more intimate.

In public appearances:

Their current website is really incorporating fan's input. Have a look!

There's the Oracle (you ask questions and the Oracle answers - it can be Coldplay related or not) and the Exhibition Room (art entries displayed) for example.

Those make the fans go to their website on a daily basis, very clever haha

There are blogs from behind the scenes written by "Roadie #42" who provides us with infos from the studio and what's happening on tour.

There are competitions to win unique items in every newsletter and they gave away a free Live CD to every concert goer after a gig on the last tour. Some songs were available for free download from their website as well.

That was a lot of sentences starting with T hahaha

Apart from that they're always giving funny interviews and once you look a bit more into them you see that they're not "depressive" as they're seen from an outsider's point of view but indeed very likable and funny people.

They are involved in many charity events and take Oxfam people with them on tour and want to make you aware about injustices in the world.

How they became successful:

Do you know the album Parachutes?

Listen to it and you'll know :P

Seriously though, it's a beautiful album and Chris's voice is one that stands out.

The lyrics speak to many people on an emotional level.

I'd suggest you go to their website and work your way through the Timeline, that'll help you a lot!

In public appearances:

There's the Oracle (you ask questions and the Oracle answers - it can be Coldplay related or not) and the Exhibition Room (art entries displayed) for example.

There are blogs from behind the scenes written by "Roadie #42" who provides us with infos from the studio and what's happening on tour.

There are competitions to win unique items in every newsletter and they gave away a free Live CD to every concert goer after a gig on the last tour. Some songs were available for free download from their website as well.

I like this part a lot :surprised: So true.

Thanks! these kinds of answers are exactly what I need and am looking for! :D

I've always been impressed by Chris Martin's sense of humour and self-deprecating personality too.;)

On both occasions I've met him, he's been very friendly and accommodating (as were Jonny, Will and Phil Harvey (the band's "fifth member").

Unfortunately I haven't had the privilege of meeting Guy yet.

Guest howyousawtheworld

One of the big reasons I loved them was their ability to come up with catchy, memorable yet melancholic melodies. I really do feel melody is the crucial part of making music.

Also that piano riff on Clocks really got me hooked in 2002!

I like them because :

- They made A Rush of Blood to the Head, which is one of my favorite albums.

- Politik is one of my favorite songs (and their best yet I think) with the best ending possible.

- Their concerts are always interresting for everybody. I mean, I have some friends who saw them live but weren't fan and they all were impressed by Chris' energy on stage, by the whole atmosphere... So in the end everybody enjoy.

- I never met them but they seem to be very nice people (look at the fan stories on here !)

And everything SueDeNimes said.

I suppose you need to view it from a neutral point, so here's a start:

At concerts:

The band is always trying to make you feel like they actually want to be there. Not just playing their set and then go without saying a word.

In other countries Chris always tries to address the audience in their language and refers to something from their city or what's up in the news or current events and sometimes they cover a song that has to do with the location of the concert.

He talks with the audience and all around they make you feel like you're part of something special happening.

To get closer to the audience in the back they played a couple of songs at another little stage at the opposite end of the stage during the last tour and therefore managed to make a stadium gig feel somewhat more intimate.

In public appearances:

Apart from that they're always giving funny interviews and once you look a bit more into them you see that they're not "depressive" as they're seen from an outsider's point of view but indeed very likable and funny people.

They are involved in many charity events and take Oxfam people with them on tour and want to make you aware about injustices in the world.

How they became successful:

Do you know the album Parachutes?

Listen to it and you'll know :P

Seriously though, it's a beautiful album and Chris's voice is one that stands out.

The lyrics speak to many people on an emotional level.

I'd suggest you go to their website and work your way through the Timeline, that'll help you a lot!

^^ THIS !! Could not have said it better.:dance: