✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The evolution of Coldplay

Wow, such a long time since I was active on this forum, but since Coldplay started posting all the video teasers for the song I just couldn't help myself.

I find it fascinating that people have such various opinions about this song. I too was one of those people who believed that LP5 would turn out as a mainly acoustic album, following in trail of Spanish Rain, Death will never conquer etc. However, this didn't surprise me at all. The result of ETIAW feels like they followed through with the experimenting they did while producing VLV. This sounds a lot like the songs that never made it to the album, like A spell a rebel yell and Lukas (Resemblence to Lukas is not obvious, I mostly think about the break in the songs)

I'm not sure whether I like this evolution of Coldplay or not. I think I will have to listen to the whole album before I can make up my mind about that. What I do love though, is that they DO change. This is not the same Coldplay that wrote Yellow or Fix You, nu-uh. But it would be way worse if they kept on producing the same old tunes over and over again. The fact that they keep changing from every album and experimenting with new sounds is one of the reasons I like their music so much.

They're daring and brave. They know that whatever they produce will be reviewed by reporters, critics and, most importantly, fans all over the world. And they dare to change and try new things. Compare to the rest of the music that's being made these days, and admit to yourself - that's a pretty great thing to do.

Oh thanks for your thread, bothers me to hear people talk, mad ;)

So critical journalists without really knowing the music. and they are not professionals, eat your Mafia please !!! :angry:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/music/3614168/Coldplay-tear-it-up-on-new-single.html

for once Coldplay have their own music and influances, tradisional just heard. it's silly to denigrate their origin, really exemple of all this :

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Kf_6BWcOOg]YouTube - ‪Coldplay - Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall (Official)‬‏[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEUHfqftkLY]YouTube - ‪? Scottish Music - Highland Cathedral ?‬‏[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IxKM77KM64&feature=fvwrel]YouTube - ‪Scottish folk music‬‏[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y01pCYwCi2w&feature=related]YouTube - ‪Traditional Scottish Wedding Dance‬‏[/ame]

Don't get me wrong, I do like the new stuff. I loved VLVODAAHF and ETIAW is really growing on me. But I like the old stuff even more.

I hope that this evolution comes full circle and they eventually go back to a Parachutes or AROBTTH type of sound!

Ken Nelson needs to come back as he produced the first two albums.

I agree and disagree. I agree that I too thought they were going to go to a more acoustic sound. However I disagree in the sense that they are brave and daring. Just because they have a huge following and clearly do not seem to care about being innovative. Yeah they changed their sound, but that's not being innovative. The sound they went for on VLV and now this new song is something that appeals to a younger audience and it is filled with pop songs. This new song you can tell they're trying way to much to have a very popular song that everyone will love in exchange for wiping away all dignity the band has for themselves. They honestly should be ashamed because they have stooped down to such a low level just to achieve this fame. To be honest I wish the band would read mine as well as all the other people who are disappointed in them.

If you want to be innovative and change your sound do it right and with some dignity. Radiohead released Kid A right after they had the super successful OK Computer. But to an average listener Kid A is difficult to make it through because they changed the sound an in that sense took a huge risk. Same goes with The Beatles. I'm not turning this into a Radiohead/Coldplay debate, but merely giving an example. Another good example would be how U2 reinvented themselves for Achtung Baby.

The band started off strong but as the years have progressed have gone downhill.

Definitely. Brian Eno needs to go!!

I disagree. I think Eno's work on VLV was brilliant and hopefully LP5 will be even better. AROBTTH was nice, but a bit too acoustic and simplistic. It's nice to hear some complexity in these songs (without overdoing it) and I think Eno has helped Coldplay do this very well. If LP5 is as good as I hope it will be, I'm all for Eno sticking around for a bit.

I agree and disagree. I agree that I too thought they were going to go to a more acoustic sound. However I disagree in the sense that they are brave and daring. Just because they have a huge following and clearly do not seem to care about being innovative. Yeah they changed their sound, but that's not being innovative. The sound they went for on VLV and now this new song is something that appeals to a younger audience and it is filled with pop songs. This new song you can tell they're trying way to much to have a very popular song that everyone will love in exchange for wiping away all dignity the band has for themselves. They honestly should be ashamed because they have stooped down to such a low level just to achieve this fame. To be honest I wish the band would read mine as well as all the other people who are disappointed in them.

If you want to be innovative and change your sound do it right and with some dignity. Radiohead released Kid A right after they had the super successful OK Computer. But to an average listener Kid A is difficult to make it through because they changed the sound an in that sense took a huge risk. Same goes with The Beatles. I'm not turning this into a Radiohead/Coldplay debate, but merely giving an example. Another good example would be how U2 reinvented themselves for Achtung Baby.

The band started off strong but as the years have progressed have gone downhill.

I disagree with this as well. VLV is their best album to date and, in my opinion, Coldplay has gotten better with each album. ETIAW is a promising start to a new era in the band's history and I have no doubt LP5 will be their best yet.

I hope that this evolution comes full circle and they eventually go back to a Parachutes or AROBTTH type of sound!

Returning to a Parachutes-ish sound would really be awesome! Though I'm very excited what new stuff they'll bring, so that's what I'm rooting for :)

I disagree. I think Eno's work on VLV was brilliant and hopefully LP5 will be even better. AROBTTH was nice, but a bit too acoustic and simplistic. It's nice to hear some complexity in these songs (without overdoing it) and I think Eno has helped Coldplay do this very well. If LP5 is as good as I hope it will be, I'm all for Eno sticking around for a bit.

I do like what Eno did with VLVODAAHF and I'm sure I will like LP5. I just want Eno to go after that. :P I don't like the overproduced sound they have had since he came, and I'd really like to see where they would be without that kind of influence.

Music has moved on, we can't expect another "Funeral" (The Suburbs) or another "Kid A" (In Rainbows, The King of Limbs) or another "Parachutes" or "A Rush of Blood to the Head". I think we can expect something uplifting and life-affirming that builds on Viva. And it may echo some of the sound and heart of their earlier albums.

Guest howyousawtheworld
I disagree with this as well. VLV is their best album to date and, in my opinion, Coldplay has gotten better with each album. ETIAW is a promising start to a new era in the band's history and I have no doubt LP5 will be their best yet.

I'd say Viva and AROBTTH are easily their best two albums. I have a real personal affection to X&Y (it helped me through a really bad illness in 2005) which means it's my favourite but quality wise there is no doubt in my mind that Viva and AROBTTH are their best. They are wonderful albums.

Oh and trimp - is that David Langley from the Mr Bean film in your avatar?!

I personally found Parachutes very boring..Most of the songs were just so slow and I never liked Yellow..I love X&Y and VLV..

And Im so sick of everyone thinking Radiohead and U2 can do no wrong..I myself just cant into Radiohead,i just cant stand Thom Yorke's voice..