✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

You know that thing where people split up but agree to "stay friends"?

hotdensestate

Is that (in your all's experiences) for the most part bullshit? Can it even realistically be done on a long-term basis?

Cuz two of my friends have been dating for a year and a half and realized about two weeks ago that they have to cut the relationship off cuz it isn't working for them, but both of them still want to be around each other and stay friends. However most of the people I've seen go through trying to stay friends just go through like an awkward phase and then gradually separate and never talk to each other again because they feel it would be too awkward? But I haven't seen enough people try it to be sure...

I know I personally couldn't remain friends with who I'm with now if we broke up. Too many memories and stuff.

Little relationships that aren't so serious are easier to remain friends after.

Most people I know who have the same group of friends and break up don't remain friends.

A lot of the time cause it ends badly. But even if it ends okay... it ends up being awkward no matter how hard they try. And kind of fizzles out. They can talk but they're never friends like they were before.

There are exceptions obviously. But for the most part... its too hard.

I think it all depends on how you break up.

If you break up in a fight, it will be difficult.

Sometimes people in a relationship, after some time, feel more like friends than lovers. In that case I think they could still be friends. It will be akward at times though, and might not be as easy and they thought it would be.

I'd say the majority of the time it doesn't work. And I don't think being casual "facebook friends" really counts.

In fairness though, in respect to most high school friends (I'm talking regular friends here), over time you gradually separate from almost everyone you thought you would never gradually separate from, and don't talk to them either. So it's nothing to feel bad about if you don't really talk to someone you broke up with.

Little relationships that aren't so serious are easier to remain friends after.

Agreed.

It might be possible after longer relationships as well, but I guess it takes loads of time. Dunno. And yeah, like NumbersGirl said before, I also don't think that being "Facebook friends" counts ;)

In my case she broke up with me and thought I was controlling her life when I wasnt, so we don't talk anymore...for the most part. I'm personally giving her space, hopefully she'll turn around but as I told my other friends, she doesn't need me; she's better off without me...

for the most part nobody seriously waits for marriage I think. I know people who ha(d/ve) decided to wait until a long-term relationship is established) but very frew of them plan on waiting for marriage itself.

FREW

i am one of those frew :|

In my experience and seeing other people it seems to be doable after they've been away from each other for a while.

The whole waiting until marriage thing, all in a nut shell is for trust. If you love a person then you would focus on spending time with them, not souly for sex. I mean how many of you hear stories about a girl getting pregnant and the father leaves, leaving her with a child and etc.?