✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Famous Old Painters (Instrumental) ever Confirmed?

Sleep

Was it ever confirmed that this

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWxrEKjDcFE]Coldplay - " Famous Old Painters " Full song Instrumental - Exclusive Unreleased song . - YouTube[/ame]

is actually Coldplay?

• 2 months later...

No, it has not.

But I personally think it is Coldplay, partly because it was sold alongside other definitely legit leaks on a ringtone website, partly because it has all typical properties of Coldplay instrumentation and sound:

• acoustic guitar with ringing sound (open tuning typical for Chris)
  • piano
  • Jonny's atmospheric and echo-y lead guitar sound (compare with Lost and Cemeteries of London, it sounds extremely similar imo)
  • the brass section mentioned in the Prospekt blog.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

If it is official, it's one of my favorites from the Viva la Vida era. I'd love to see a Viva la Vida re-release 10-15 years down the road with a bunch of the unreleased songs officially released like Famous Old Painters, Spanish Rain and such... :D

• 8 months later...

It actually was confirmed, I was looking through Guy & Will's Twitter Q&A from May of '12, here, about halfway down the page:

"@LeonMontesinos - @coldplay have you made a song the you really like but it never came out? if you do... do you remember the name? #coldplaylive

Will says: "There's a song called Famous Old Painters which is great but never saw the light of day" #coldplaylive"

^ All that confirms is that they had a song called "Famous Old Painters" (which we already knew) and that some of them liked it. It does not confirm that the link OP posted is the same song.

Protip: in cases where someone posts a song saying they found a leak, use Shazam. More often than not, its a fake. I will be doing this for this song and post what the results are.

Results: inconclusive. Multiple 'Shazams' to the video suggest different songs each run or unknown songs altogether. In other words, Shazam doesn't know what song this is with 100% accuracy. That being said, this does not confirm this song is Famous Old Painters.

Well well, hold on there.

The story was like this, one member of the coldplaying forum (can't remember his name, sorry) found some instrumentals by Coldplay for sale on some relatively respectable site. Little did he know, there were instrumentals there of songs that were never released.

Among those (real deal) instrumentals were:

Lucas (with Chris's vocal bleed) - we know 100% that it's Lucas cause Natalie Imbruglia sang this song.

Until the water flows - which we know is also 100% legit, since there is a live version of the song floating on YouTube

School/Rainy Day - which is also legit since it is a part of another song from VLV.

aaaand...guess what there was FAMOUS OLD PAINTERS. - No vocal bleed, unfortunately, so we do not know the lyrics. But, on top of that, there IS a brass colliery section in the middle which was mentioned in the Prophet's journal or something.

So...ever heard of something called Occam's Razor? The simplest solution is usually the solution.

I happen to remember that thread as well, so I can attest to the gist of what you wrote.

As for the comment I was actually responding to. All the proof that was given in that post was that Will said he liked a song called Famous Old Painters that didn't make it to the final LP4 cut. Alls I said was that this does not prove that OP's song is the same song. Like I said in my previous post, all this proves is that a song called Famous Old Painters exists (which we knew already) and that Will liked it. Whether the song OP posted is the song Will is talking about is unknown. To clarify, I'm not in denial of whether this song is 'real' or not. I was simply stating that using that piece of information from twitter as enough evidence confirming OP's link is the real track is absurd by my own personal standards. My standards obviously differ from that posters. That's why I did my own digging using that shazam method. The results of which I have posted previously.

Now, with your additional information we can make an even better guess at the legitimacy of the track but again, is it quite enough to close the book on it? I'm not sure either way, but we appreciate you gathering the evidence for it I guess....

Lastly, Occam's Razor? Yes I've heard of it. I might actually argue that someone putting a fake song on YouTube under the name Famous Old Painters is a more simple solution than someone magically being able to obtain a previously unobtainable song without Coldplay noticing and on top of that selling it under their noses but that's just me.

Tl;dr

Evidence lacking to say confirmed. But likely that this is the track.

*Highly edited by author to avoid conflict*

Hey, no conflict or disrespect whatsoever has been implied on my part, sorry!)

No need to apologize. I was unsure of how to interpret your reply without the proper voice/tone to read it in. On my initial read I thought it was a dig at me, so I wrote an angrily worded reply. I then quickly edited it since perhaps it was just me lacking sleep at 1am which turned out to be right.

All that behind us now, I've heard those tracks as well and got them from that same thread you talked about. I don't see them appearing in this era though but they would've fit really well in the viva era given the brass and strings style and all.