✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

OMG I THINK WE'RE HAVING AN EARTHQUAKE RIGHT NOW

NumbersGirl

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From wikipedia

The 2011 Virginia earthquake was a magnitude 5.9 (Mw) intraplate earthquake that occurred on August 23, 2011. The focus is reported by the USGS to be about 66 km (41 mi) northwest of Richmond, Virginia near the town of Mineral, Virginia.

hope you guys are ok, but I wouldn't worry about a 5.8 except if you live in a poor poor 3rd world country :P

Now you all know how an earthquake feels like :cheesy:

I wonder if that means we'll get a tornado or something like that :uhoh:

I didn't feel a thing at all. I was at work. My brother and one of my friends said that they felt things shake.
If you were on ground level, or if you were standing at the time you might not have really felt it. I called my husband as it was happening, and he said he didn't feel anything (he works in a ground-level building). I was on the 8th floor of a 20-story building so it was a bit more noticable.

The following is from text-TV in Denmark (DR1 + TV2 News), Sweden (SVT) and Germany (ZDF Text):

POWERFUL EARTHQUAKE SHAKES THE EAST COAST OF THE UNITED STATES

US Geological Survey (USGS) reports that a magnitude 5.9 earthquake hit the eastern US states with epicenter in the state of Virginia.

The authorities chose to evacuate the Capitol in Washington and Pentagon in the suburb Arlington.

The epicentre of the quake was near RICHMOND in Virginia. Richmond is situated 138 km from Washington D.C.

The quake could be felt in Manhattan, New York and in Boston in the US state of Massachusetts.

The quake disrupted the mobile network along the East Coast.

Buildings were swaying along the north-east coast of the USA.

Control towers have been evacuated at the Newark and J.F. Kennedy airports in New York. The taxiways and the control towers will have to be inspected before air traffic will resume after the quake.

Also Washington's domestic air traffic was disrupted after the quake.

"This is one of the biggest quakes on the east coast for a long time, at least for some decades", said Lucy Jones, spokeswoman for USGS, to CNN.

From BBC World News article:

Reports of minor damage began to trickle in minutes after the quake struck.

At the National Cathedral in north-west Washington, the highest building in the US capital city, three pinnacles in the central tower snapped off and a fourth was leaning. The 30-storey high central tower suffered minor structural damage.

Also, the embassy of Ecuador was reported to have suffered major damage.

In Charleston, West Virginia, hundreds of workers left the state Capitol building.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-14634730

^ I agree with you.

Why do numbnuts always have to bring God into this... I mean really?!

- Just heard on the news that it was felt in 22 states along the eastern seaboard and beyond! Wow... I still can't believe it happened. I've never experienced something like that before... freaky.

I just read a bit about this on CNN and someone actually commented on the article that this all happened because NY approved gay marriage ... God is upset! :cheesy:

Here's what we can do about that.

1. Throw a virgin in a volcano.

2. Collect all the jewelry along the east coast, make a giant cow out of it, and bow before it.

3. Get grass skirts and coconut bras and go out into the streets and sing Kumbaya while simultaneously banging torches on the ground in rhythm.

4. Ask Bono to tell God that we're sorry and we would like for the earthquakes to stop.

Here's what we can do about that.

1. Throw a virgin in a volcano.

2. Collect all the jewelry along the east coast, make a giant cow out of it, and bow before it. OOOO, now that could sparkle!

3. Get grass skirts and coconut bras and go out into the streets and sing Kumbaya while simultaneously banging torches on the ground in rhythm.

4. Ask Bono to tell God that we're sorry and we would like for the earthquakes to stop.

All that does sound like a great excuse to p-a-r-t-y though! :laugh3:

And as for experiencing it in Michigan, just shake that mitten! Say YES to Michigan, the feelings forever. :P And Virginia is for Lovers, so hey, maybe it's a rocky romance? :laugh3:

Here, all we got was the sound of a truck rumble, or maybe it was just a truck rumble?:\ Anyhow, totally disappointing. :)

I'm closer to the beach and pretty much on the half line of NJ

I'm basically on the vertical half line of NJ, and north. :nod:

But I don't see how my brother, in our house several hundred yards from where we were practicing, could have felt the earthquake when I didn't. :shifty:

I'm closer to the beach and pretty much on the half line of NJ

Northern NJ is connected to Southern NJ with some really nifty shock absorbers. We try and keep it a secret, it's a quake-free zone. ;):P You can read about it in the Encyclopedia Galactica, the unedited version. You see you people who use the hitchhiker's guide, you're just missing it! It's under tectonics, the engineered plates spinning beneath the crust, and which ones are properly balanced. And without balance, it's a bumpy ride!