✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Nico Dijkshoorn on Coldplay

Blue Nails

Nice Dijkshoorn is a famous Dutch man who writes columns and poems. He's very critical of everything, he's negative and he's very... direct, but I kinda like him.

When I saw that he wrote something about Coldplay, I was afraid he'd absolutely trash them. I'd figured him to be a hater. He dislikes anything that's popular.

But he didn't! He's actually criticizing the haters and readers of OOR Magazine (oor means ear), who generally don't like Coldplay.

I thought it was a nice little article, so I'll put a translation in the next post.

This may contain offensive language, sorry about that.

Column: Nico Dijkshoorn over Coldplay + OOR-lezers

Als je een klap voor je bek wilt, dan moet je zeggen dat je van Coldplay houdt. Zeggen dat je graag naar Coldplay luistert en al hun platen hebt, dat staat ongeveer gelijk aan een Texaans truckerscafé binnenwandelen en vragen of ze een plaat van Public Enemy kunnen opzetten.

Coldplay is een band die hartstochtelijk wordt gehaat. Gehaat op een manier zoals alleen Dire Straits wordt gehaat. Coldplay en Dire Straits staan voor gearriveerd, lui, gemaniëreerd zingen, veel platen verkopen en veel geld verdienen. Dat kan dus nooit wat zijn. Dat moet kapot.

Juist aan die haat zie je dat de gemiddelde popliefhebber, de doorsnee concertbezoeker, niets meer is dan een willoos dier. Ja jij, OOR-lezer, je bent een slachtvarken en je staat in een hok met 30.000 andere slachtvarkens. Je schreeuwt hoog omdat de andere varkens om je heen hoog schreeuwen. Baat het niet, dan schaadt het niet. Maar dood ga je toch.

Die onredelijke Coldplay-haat fascineert mij. Het is een wet dat alles wat gekocht wordt door je tante en je oom opeens moet worden vernietigd. Je vader die een plaat van Coldplay opzet, dat voelt alsof je vader dezelfde broek en hetzelfde jasje draagt als jij. Hetzelfde meisje neukt als jij. Alsof je samen met je vader naakt in bed ligt te roken. En jij bent bijzonder en jij hebt er kijk op. Je vader niet, want die is ouder.

Nu er liedjes van Coldplay worden gezongen tijdens The Voice Of Holland is het helemaal gedaan met jullie liefde. Jullie zijn zo makkelijk te verleiden, lieverds. Zo makkelijk in beweging te krijgen. Jullie zijn zo wanhopig graag tegen iets. Jullie dragen allemaal dezelfde broekjes en jullie hebben opeens allemaal een baardje als Chris Martin zich netjes scheert.

Ik blijf Coldplay trouw. Ik weet hoe ze in mijn leven kwamen, op een manier zoals nog nooit een ander bandje mijn leven binnen is gekomen. Ik was in Frankrijk. Een Nederlander in Frankrijk, dat geef ik toe, staat altijd al meer open voor redding. Je bent in een land waar ze in een gat schijten, waar 84-jarige zangers voor volle zalen chansons zingen en waar dertig inteeltkoppen in een boerderij met mes en vork om een rauwe lever zitten. Dan ben je wel eens toe aan iets moois.

Ik stond in de rij bij een McDonald’s op het parkeerterrein van een Supermarché. Om mij heen stierf het van de Fransen. Mijn kinderen wilden Hollandse mayonaise. Toen hoorde en zag ik het nummer Yellow van Coldplay. Op een kleine televisie in de zaak. Er liep een jongen over het strand en ik hoorde hem zingen. ‘Look at the stars, look how they shine for you.’ Kort daarna zong hij dat hij van me hield. En ik hield van hem omdat hij me redde.

Hoe een liedje je leven kan veranderen. Ja, ik was een vader met kinderen in Frankrijk. Ja, dat was niet hip en gevaarlijk. En toch hield er iemand van me. Chris Martin van Coldplay. Dat vergeet ik nooit.

Door Nico Dijkshoorn

http://www.oor.nl/#specials/328/column_nico_dijkshoorn_over_coldplay_en_oor-lezers

Translation (again, sorry that this guy is a bit rude):

Column: Nico Dijkshoorn on Coldplay + OOR readers

If you want to be punched in the face, then you should say you love Coldplay. To say you enjoy listening to Coldplay and got all their records, that's about equal to walking into a Texan trucker's cafe and ask if they can put on a Public Enemy song.

Coldplay are a band that's hated with a passion. Hated in a way only Dire Straits are hated. Coldplay and Dire Straits represent accomplished, lazy, ready-made singing, selling many records and making loads of money. That can never be interesting, obviously. That should be destroyed.

Just that hate shows that the ordinary pop lover, the average concert visitor, is nothing more than a will-less animal. Yes you, OOR reader, you are a slaughter pig and you're in a pen with 30,000 other slaughter pigs. You're screaming high because the other pigs around you are screaming high. There's no harm in trying. But you're going to die anyway.

That unreasonable Coldplay hate fascinates me. It's a law that anything being bought by your aunt and uncle should suddenly be destroyed. Your dad playing a Coldplay record, that feels like your dad is wearing the same trousers and the same jacket as you. Fucking the same girl as you. Like you and your dad are naked in bed, smoking together. And you're special and you know about these things. Your father doesn't, because he's older.

Now that there's Coldplay songs being sung in The Voice Of Holland, your love is completely over. You're so easy to tempt, my darlings. So easy to move. You so desperately like to be against something. You all wear the same little pants and you'll all have a beard if Chris Martin is shaving properly.

I remain faithful to Coldplay. I know how they came into my life, in a way no other band has ever come into my life. I was in France. A Dutchman in France, I admit, is always more open to be rescued. You're in a country where they shit in a hole, where 84-year-old singers sing chansons to full venues, and where thirty inbreed heads in a farm are sitting around a raw liver with a knife and fork. Then you're ready for something beautiful.

I was lining up at a McDonald's on the parking lot of a Supermarché. Around me were lots of French people. My children wanted Dutch mayonaise. Then I heard and saw the song Yellow by Coldplay. On a small television in the restaurant. There was a boy walking over the beach and I heard him sing. 'Look at the stars, look how they shine for you.' Shortly after, he sang that he loved me. And I loved him, because he rescued me.

How a song can change your life. Yes, I was a father with kids in France. No, that was not hip and dangerous. And yet, somebody loved me. Chris Martin from Coldplay. I'll never forget.

By Nico Dijkshoorn

http://www.oor.nl/#specials/328/column_nico_dijkshoorn_over_coldplay_en_oor-lezers

Toen hoorde en zag ik het nummer Yellow van Coldplay. Op een kleine televisie in de zaak. Er liep een jongen over het strand en ik hoorde hem zingen. ‘Look at the stars, look how they shine for you.’ Kort daarna zong hij dat hij van me hield. En ik hield van hem omdat hij me redde.

Hoe een liedje je leven kan veranderen. Ja, ik was een vader met kinderen in Frankrijk. Ja, dat was niet hip en gevaarlijk. En toch hield er iemand van me. Chris Martin van Coldplay. Dat vergeet ik nooit.

:nice:

Ik stond in de rij bij een McDonald’s op het parkeerterrein van een Supermarché. Om mij heen stierf het van de Fransen. Mijn kinderen wilden Hollandse mayonaise. Toen hoorde en zag ik het nummer Yellow van Coldplay. Op een kleine televisie in de zaak. Er liep een jongen over het strand en ik hoorde hem zingen. ‘Look at the stars, look how they shine for you.’ Kort daarna zong hij dat hij van me hield. En ik hield van hem omdat hij me redde.

:wacky:

Guest howyousawtheworld
I just came across a stupid CP hater on Twitter, that was exactly what I needed to read :) Thank you!

That's what Coldplay have had to face. They are really the first massive band to face the wrath of the social network/media as they have emerged at the same time as social media. But is there anything more trashy, generic and paltry than an opinion emerging from the social media, the largest road sign in human nature becoming ever more primitive?

No sir. There is not.