✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[20-Apr-2012] Coldplay @ Rogers Arena, Vancouver, BC, Canada

Jenjie

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm trying to upload my videos now.. I got pretty much everything taped, up until UATW, at the end of that song my phone died on me.

4/20 is like national weed day.. There is like a festival down in Vancouver on that day, and if you're going to ever smoke pot, you do it on 4/20 :P Downtown you can buy weed cookies, brownines hahah it's awesome.

And for Vancouver's rep, we're kinda known for our "BC Bud"

Exactly! Though it's actually International,lol. It started with some high school students in Cali, so the story goes.

I thought you were from here haha. Anyways, I'll be there again tonight and I promised myself no recording tonight just pictures. I was trying to minimize my movements yesterday. Yesterday's concert was ok. The band wasn't as engaged as they were in the past concerts, maybe tonight will be different. Funny moment last night was during Viva La Vida around 2:42 of my video, Chris hit the bell.

Fan review

Coldplay @ Rogers Arena, Vancouver, April 20 2012

I vaguely recall the first time I heard Yellow on the radio. It was right around the time I began playing guitar and thought the chords might be easy enough for me to give it a try. I also remember thinking: Hey, I like this song. Probably just a one-hit-wonder, though...

Pretty sure that’s the most wrong I’ve ever been about anything I’ve ever thought in my life. I think more people worship Coldplay these days than Jesus, Elvis and that guy from Breaker High combined.

Well, maybe not more than that guy from Breaker High.

Coldplay came cruising through Vancouver recently as part of their world tour in support of their most recent album, Mylo Xyloto. I was so generously given the opportunity to see them play the first of their two consecutive shows at Rogers Arena, and I’m really glad I didn’t say no. I brought my beautiful wife along for the ride to share our first Coldplay ‘experience’ together.

And an experience, it was.

Whether you’re a die-hard fan, a casual listener, or a straight-up hater, you cannot deny the entertainment value Coldplay gives their ticket purchasers. The tickets aren’t cheap, but wow—do they make it worth every penny. You see, at every entry gate to get into Rogers Arena, each and every concert-goer was given a wristband. The colours of the wristbands ranged from yellow to pink to green to blue to white to orange. Once seated, the giant, round screens inside the venue flashed the message to put on your wristband as it is “part of the show”.

At 9:03, the house lights go out. The crowd goes insane. A few fluorescent lights light up the back of the stage. The stage manager lights the path for arguably the world’s biggest band. The band members take their places, and with the first kick of the drum, the entire Rogers Arena is alit with multi-coloured flashing wristband lights. Like a scene from a sci-fi flick, or a happy drug hallucination—and it being 4-20 day in Vancouver, likely the latter of the two. Not only do the wristbands light up, but they pulse in time to the beat, sometimes alternating in tempo depending on colour and section. My lousy photos don’t do it the visual justice. I was slightly impressed.

Ok, I was really impressed.

[These videos are from my iPhone.. again, apologies]

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSqgp4bTiKg[/ame]

The visual theatrics continued. In My Place was the second (or third?) tune and as eccentric and wacky leader Chris Martin ran down the long runway of the modest stage, cannons shot up millions of pieces of large, mulit-coloured confetti, showering the stage and the crowd. I really couldn’t wipe the smirk off my face if I tried.

**At this point in the blog post, I must admit to you all that I’m not the biggest Coldplay fan out there. I do enjoy their tunes and own an album or two, but have never seen them live. I’ve heard great things about their live show, but never imagined it would be quite like this. Never.**

Throughout the set, more visual treats ensued with about 20-30 giant ‘Mylo Xyloto’ beach ball were getting tossed around the arena while multiple laser lights, spotlights and strobe lights tantalized the crowd.

http://

Oh yeah—the music. I do really enjoy some Coldplay tunes. Of the tunes they played last night, I thoroughly enjoyed Violet Hill, God Put A Smile Upon Your Face, Clocks, Warning Sign and Fix You. I could have happily done without the Rihanna tune, but that’s just me being a music snob.

I really would have loved to have heard Shiver (the ode to Jeff Buckley), Talk, Don’t Panic, and Everything’s Not Lost. So yes, my only complaint with the show would be the set list. And yes, usually that would make for a mediocre review, but this show was about more than the music: it was about lights, confetti and balloons; it was about dancing; it was about proving your worth; it was about entertainment value; it was about pouring everything you’ve got into what you do.

From the beginning of the night, Chris Martin came across as a genuinely humbled musician, consistently thanking everyone for coming to see them play. He also couldn’t help but state several times that they “have the best fucking job in the world!”

I would be hard-pressed to disagree.

-Dylan

(Pardon the iPhone photos; left my good camera at home)

img_1625.jpg?w=497&h=665

img_1628.jpg?w=497&h=371

img_1631.jpg?w=497&h=371

img_1633.jpg?w=497&h=279

link

Coldplay go big, but not stupid, with Rogers Arena mega-concert

6495358.bin

When you’re one of the biggest bands in the world, you probably are expected to have one of the biggest concert productions in the world.

This, Coldplay provided Friday.

It wasn’t as extravagant as, say, U2’s ill-starred and expensive Pop show, which is an example of the “more money than brains” tour that often strikes popular acts. Coldplay is too sensible for that.

Nonetheless, the band filled Rogers Arena with swirling screens, lasers, balloons, showers of confetti, three stages, graffiti-inspired visuals and the piece de resistance, issuing all concert-goers with wristbands that lit up at crucial moments, presumably with the single press of a button by a lighting tech. In a second, 15,000 fans lit up and swathed the darkened arena in a blanket of multicoloured glow. No doubt Coldplay does this every night of its current North American tour, but hang the cost, the band can afford it and still not tip over the money-to-brain line.

It’s an amazing sight.

Almost makes the music, which is at the bottom line of all this, take a backseat. Coldplay, which is back at the arena Saturday night, put in its best Vancouver appearance by far.

It helps that it is touring on the strength of its best album, Mylo Xyloto, whose selections dominated the night. Mylo purportedly is the story of a woman trying to find love in an apocalyptic world. That message might or might not be a unifying theme, but it does hint at its cohesion. If previous album Viva La Vida sprawled and, ultimately, was aimless, Mylo is tighter and more complex. The band, led by Chris Martin, is exploiting background vocals (or sing-song chants that stir up the fans); and the sound is more dense, reaching its peak, Friday, with “Paradise,” but climaxing effectively with the churchy “Every Teardrop Is a Waterfall.”

By comparison, a familiar “Clocks” from Coldplay’s A Rush Of Blood to the Head is simpler, almost transparent in its relatively clean lines.

Martin has become an ingratiating frontman, suitably humble and frequently smiling, and is ably supported by Guy Berryman, Jonny Buckland and Will Champion, who’ve all grown into showmen.

Squeezed into a small space at the front of the stage, opening act The Pierces never announced itself. The quartet just showed up and then disappeared after its set. Somehow this was appropriate. Unless on a mission to make the world safe for a China Crisis revival, the band is irrelevant.

link

Photos

6495358.bin?size=620x400s

6495359.bin?size=620x400s

6495360.bin?size=620x400s

6495361.bin?size=620x400s

6495362.bin?size=620x400s

6495363.bin?size=620x400s

6495364.bin?size=620x400s

6495365.bin?size=620x400s

6495366.bin?size=620x400s

6495367.bin?size=620x400s

6495368.bin?size=620x400s

6495369.bin?size=620x400s

6495370.bin?size=620x400s

6495371.bin?size=620x400s

6495372.bin?size=620x400s

6495373.bin?size=620x400s

6495374.bin?size=620x400s

6495375.bin?size=620x400s

6495376.bin?size=620x400s

6495377.bin?size=620x400s

Pause at 4:59, that's my head beside the girl with the ponytail (my sister). I'm so tall cause I was standing on my chair :P

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6p8wnrFTjQ]Us Against The World - Coldplay Live - April 20, 2012 - YouTube[/ame]

:bomb:

Coldplay sells its soul in Vancouver

470_bc_coldplay_120421.jpg,470,264

"Is it true that everyone in Vancouver is stoned today?" asked Coldplay's Chris Martin, seven songs into Friday night's concert at Rogers Arena.

His joke produced a big cheer, although obviously a chap of his gentle demeanour wouldn't be involved with any of those uncouth 4/20 shenanigans. This is a man whose rock and roll charm is more debonair than prone to debauchery. At the show's start, he promised his band would "give 119 per cent" and do their best to provide a great night's entertainment. Textbook rock and roll introduction. Acknowledging concertgoers' parking and babysitting expenses in the very next sentence was a significant deviation from the script.

Martin has transformed himself from sensitive songwriter to rock's great salesman. Not in a "drink Pepsi" way. Quite the opposite. He's selling himself and his band. He's doing it sincerely and he's doing it with charisma. And, judging by the response from a full house of adoring fans Friday night, an awful lot of people are buying it.

"In My Place" was only the second song of the night, but at its first chorus Martin was galloping along the stage's runway, throwing his arms in the air as plumes of paper leaves blasted into Rogers Arena around him. That was just one of many touches of production brilliance. Everyone with a ticket was issued an illuminated wristband on entry. When the house lights dropped, 10,000 swaying arms lit up the room instead. Giant beach balls were launched. Colossal inflatable butterflies appeared in the arena's upper level. But the most spectacular moments always came directly from Chris Martin.

It was his enthusiasm that triggered a massive call and response sing-along from the crowd during "The Scientist," which the band followed by launching into a rowdy version of "Yellow" that saw Martin narrowly miss cracking himself in the face with his guitar neck. During "God Put A Smile Upon Your Face" Martin instructed everyone on the upper level to put their hands in the air, softly encouraging the one non-conformer to join in – "I see you in the blue shirt". In perhaps the highlight of the entire show, mid-way through "When I Ruled The World" Martin snatched a red bra out of the air, presumably thrown in his general direction by an admirer, then collapsed to the ground at the song's end to soak up the moment.

It's not hard to see why Gwyneth Paltrow and more than a few women in Vancouver find him so dreamy. Chris Martin is the lead singer of an astonishingly successful, arena-filling band. But he's a different kind of rock star. Sensitive. Gentle. Understanding. This isn't sex appeal. This is cuddle appeal.

Coldplay has become one of the biggest bands on Earth and the credit lies entirely with Martin. Guitarist Johnny Buckland joined his frontman to throw rock poses a few times, drummer Will Champion banged away with surprising ferocity while Guy Berryman was the epitome of bass player anonymity. All the excitement, the entire show essentially, came from Chris Martin.

Chris Martin believes that Coldplay is the biggest and best band on the planet. He has the will and sincerity in his rock star moves to make arenas believe it too.

Which must be the heart of their continued enormity, because even in the sonic cauldron of Rogers Arena "Princess of China" (performed with a video projection of Rihanna), "When I Ruled The World,""Paradise," "Fix You" and so many more, if you closed your eyes to subtract Martin's charisma, are award-winning yet achingly pedestrian slabs of indie-pop by numbers.

Not that anyone left Rogers Arena disappointed. Chris Martin had delivered. The crowd loved it. But it was Martin, openly and genuinely relishing that love, who enjoyed it most of all.

"Most of you are under the influence of soft drugs," he laughed during the encore, "but we'll take it!"

link

Oh, and here's my UATW footage.

I'm the one who says "you're welcome" and the oww oww sound haha

My phone dies on me at the end though.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVO4qpPhKsI&context=C4920f96ADvjVQa1PpcFPdDbYGmLDDfd2FxABmsu3pHit_WDe76xQ=]Us Against The World - Coldplay (Vancouver 2012) - YouTube[/ame]

"It wasn’t as extravagant as, say, U2’s ill-starred and expensive Pop show, which is an example of the “more money than brains” tour that often strikes popular acts. Coldplay is too sensible for that."

I know some U2 fans that are such diehard Pop fans that they would kill anybody who said this in public lololol.

But I honestly think Coldplay is selling itself short by remaining in arenas when it's more than capable of selling out stadiums. But in terms of extravagance, I think Coldplay is probably being just as extravagant as U2 was during their 360 Tour, but both bands have a different flavor of extravagance. U2 had their impressively massive Claw. Coldplay has those Xylo Bands distributed to every attendee, tons upon tons of confetti butterflies, inflatable balls, lasers, etc.

In any case, Coldplay is big enough to go big.

Why is it so hard to remember Viva La Vida's name? "when I ruled the world" haha seriously? It seems like people call it that all the time.

I love it how people always assume that the song title must be in the lyrics somewhere.

"Never an honest word,

But that was when I ruled the world"

- Ok, the song must be called "When I ruled the world"