✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Dublin, Ireland gig in 2012?

D-FENS

Hi

I know nothing had been announced yet for Dublin, is this not strange as a lot of other european gigs have and they usually always play at least one Irish gig for a new album

anyone heard any reason why this is not the case so far, or if anything is in the pipeline?

would love to get my wife tickets for xmas if they announced it before then

thanks

• 5 weeks later...
Hi

I know nothing had been announced yet for Dublin, is this not strange as a lot of other european gigs have and they usually always play at least one Irish gig for a new album

anyone heard any reason why this is not the case so far, or if anything is in the pipeline?

would love to get my wife tickets for xmas if they announced it before then

thanks

I'd be really surprised if they didn't play in Ireland this summer! There are lots of rumours that they might play Phoenix park or slane

A rumour I heard from elsewhere (online, so treat with caution!) is that there should be an Irish outdoor stadium show this summer, but that the likely promoter - MCD - are holding back the official announcement for the time being. Want to know why?! It's apparently because MCD want to try and sell more tickets for the Red Hot Chilli Peppers show in Croke Park and reckon that more casual fans would probably plump for Coldplay if that option was also available! That sort of twisted logic could actually be true, especially as the RHCP show hasn't sold out yet.

I really hope it is announced soon, or even announced at all. I'm extremely disappointed so far - that they haven't even touched on Ireland, from what I've Googled, anyway - but I hope everyday that they'll come soon or announce something.

It'll be my first ever concert. I want it to be Coldplay as, as well as them being my faourite band, I want to remember my "first time" and I'm certain Coldplay can make that come true. :P

Maybe we could bribe them with Christy Moore? :laugh3:

It'll most likely be at Slane Castle this summer. The only question is when? The Slane concert is always held on a Saturday night, so I guess find an available Saturday night during the European legs of the tour, and you'll have a good idea of when the show will be!

I REALLY hope it isn't Slane! The location is amazing, but tickets will cost more than for a normal show, demand will be higher because of the venue's perceived mystique and glamour (attracting more casual fans), and for health reasons, not everyone wants to / is able to stand on a hillside all day!

• 1 month later...

If anybody is doing Slane this year I've heard it'll be Lady GaGa. Looks like no Coldplay show so this year here. The last one in Phoenix Park 3 years ago didn't nearly sell out so maybe they're turned off by Ireland?

I think the problem with Phoenix Park was that tickets went on sale 10 months before the gig and a month before the band did two nights in the O2.

If they are doing a show, it will be released closer to the time. I hear that ticket sales have been rubbish recently and to make tickets sell better, they will be trying to hold out on releasing dates until a little closer the time. I don't know how true this is though.

If anybody is doing Slane this year I've heard it'll be Lady GaGa. Looks like no Coldplay show so this year here. The last one in Phoenix Park 3 years ago didn't nearly sell out so maybe they're turned off by Ireland?

I think the problem with Phoenix Park was that tickets went on sale 10 months before the gig and a month before the band did two nights in the O2.

Nah i don't think they will pass Ireland, i still reckon they will play Aviva or Slane. I read Gaga is playing Aviva in July/Aug.

• 3 weeks later...
Nah i don't think they will pass Ireland, i still reckon they will play Aviva or Slane. I read Gaga is playing Aviva in July/Aug.

Your right of course their not just going to leave Ireland out, they've recently announced a tour for Australia in November so there's every chance they'll come to Ireland sometime later in the year, either way they won't miss out Ireland!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hogan’s legal tweak may revive hopes of 2012 Slane concert

A legal change pushed through last week by environment minister Phil Hogan may yet rescue the prospect of a 2012 gig at Slane Castle.

Castle owner and gig organiser Lord Henry Mountcharles had said a concert for this year was unlikely, telling today’s Irish Sun that he was not willing to book a headline act for this year’s gig unless he was confident they were the “the right choice”.

“But in this case time is running out,” he said, adding that the deadline for applying to Meath County Council for a licence to hold the annual gig – traditionally held in late August – was running out.

In the last few days, however, Phil Hogan has signed a statutory instrument which amends planning laws originally introduced in 2001.

The previous law required organisers to apply for a licence for an outdoor event 16 weeks before it was due to take place – but Hogan’s amendment means only 10 weeks’ notice is now needed.

Without the change, if a concert was to be organised for Saturday 25 August, an application would need to be lodged with the council by Friday 27 April – just over a fortnight from now.

Under the new rules, however, organisers will have an extra six weeks to seek an event licence, and will have two months – until Friday 8 June – to apply to the council for permission to hold an event at Slane, if 25 August was their chosen date.

Coldplay are among the acts rumoured to be in contention for this year’s gig; the British four-piece have no gigs booked for either August 25 or September 1, during the European leg of a world tour which currently does not include any Irish dates.

link

No concert at Slane this year

There will be no Slane concert this year, it was confirmed today.

Lord Henry Mountcharles, who owns Slane castle, confirmed the news - though he hinted that there will be an event in 2013.

Fans had speculated that Coldplay, Metallica or The Red Hot Chili Peppers might win the high profile headlining slot this year.

It is not the first time that the concert has skipped a year. There were just seven concerts in the 80s, five in the 90s and eight in the noughties.

Controversially, the 2005 concert was cancelled after Eminem withdrew to enter drug rehabilitation.

link

Well this is probably why nothing has been announced for Ireland... they can't find a place to play. Even U2 have a harder time booked concerts in their own country than anywhere else, it seems. Probably too many big stadium events booked already for this summer. Before this tour ends there will be date(s) in Ireland though, mark my words!

Well this is probably why nothing has been announced for Ireland... they can't find a place to play. Even U2 have a harder time booked concerts in their own country than anywhere else, it seems. Probably too many big stadium events booked already for this summer. Before this tour ends there will be date(s) in Ireland though, mark my words!

really disappointed theyre not playing slane, would have been perfect in my opinion

hope something is announced soon, i reckon is the aviva or nowhere for this year

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm afraid that the Oxygen festival in 2011 was the Irish stop of the MX tour. Seems unusual to skip on a market that could probably have guaranteed them a full stadium show, but then again most of the scheduling on this tour hasn't really made sense.