✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

European tour support acts (May/June/August/September 2012)

Tash

marina8012.jpg

European tour support acts revealed

5 March 2012 9:43 am

Marina & the Diamonds, Robyn, Ash, Rita Ora and Frank Ocean join the band on summer run

news_line.png

marinafull12.jpg

Good morning. We're pleased to announce that the support acts joining Coldplay on their run of European stadium dates will be Marina & the Diamonds (pictured above), Robyn, Ash, Rita Ora and Frank Ocean. See below for the full list of dates/acts, with links to their websites, and head to the Live section for ticket links.

MAY

18 Porto, Dragao Stadium - Marina & the Diamonds and Rita Ora

20 Madrid, Vicente Calderon - Marina & the Diamonds and Rita Ora

22 Nice, Stade Charles Herman / Nikaia - Marina & the Diamonds and Rita Ora

24 Turin, Olympic Stadium - Marina & the Diamonds and Rita Ora

26 Zurich, Letzigrund Stadium - Marina & the Diamonds and Rita Ora

29 Coventry - Ricoh Stadium - Robyn and Rita Ora

JUNE

01 London, Emirates Stadium - Marina & the Diamonds and Ash

02 London, Emirates Stadium - Robyn and Rita Ora

04 London, Emirates Stadium - Robyn and Rita Ora

07 Sunderland, Stadium of Light - Robyn and Rita Ora

09 Manchester, Etihad Stadium - Robyn and Rita Ora

10 Manchester. Etihad Stadium - Robyn and Rita Ora

AUGUST

28 Copenhagen, Parken Stadium - Marina & the Diamonds and Frank Ocean

30 Stockholm, Olympic Stadium - Marina & the Diamonds and Frank Ocean

SEPTEMBER

02 Paris, Stade de France - Marina & the Diamonds and Frank Ocean

04 Cologne, Rhein Energie Stadium - Marina & the Diamonds and Frank Ocean

06 The Hague, Malieveld - Marina & the Diamonds and Frank Ocean

12 Munich, Olympiastadion - Marina & the Diamonds and Frank Ocean

14 Leipzig, Red Bull Stadium - Marina & the Diamonds and Frank Ocean

16 Prague, Slavia Eden Stadium - Marina & the Diamonds and Frank Ocean

19 Warsaw, National Stadium - Marina & the Diamonds and Frank Ocean

22 Hannover, AWD Arena - Marina & the Diamonds and Frank Ocean

Anchorman

Dear god! Looks like I will be arriving as late as possible then.....

When I saw them in 2005 they were supported by Morning Runner and.... Supergrass! Now that is a nice pair of support acts!

Frank Ocean on his mixtape did a cover of "Strawberry Swing", or rather his own version.

Probably already known around these parts, but to those who haven't heard it, here it is:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvFtbjIngkY]Frank Ocean - Strawberry Swing (Full Version) (No Tags) (Normal speed and length) - YouTube[/ame]

Dear god! Looks like I will be arriving as late as possible then.....

When I saw them in 2005 they were supported by Morning Runner and.... Supergrass! Now that is a nice pair of support acts!

I raise your Supergrass with Interpol ;)

---------

Robyn and Rita Ora for the 2nd, I've heard of Robyn (and like a couple of her songs), never heard of Rita Ora (sounds like an Amy Winehouse/Duffy/Adele retro female soul moaner)

I actually like Frank Ocean. His mixtape Nostalgia, Ultra was really good.

I guess it comes down to genre, if you're fan of R&B (R Kelly, The Weeknd) you'll enjoy him. If not, then you won't enjoy the themes of today's R&B (women and sex).

But I think it comes down to how much of Coldplay's fanbase has a crossover appeal to R&B. Probably not that much.

Rita Ora, she seems forced and pushed. Her latest single is kind of blah, but she's got that Jay-z hook up so it worked out for her.

That's right but isn't it totally weird that a band like Coldplay is having Frank Ocean as their support? I mean, people who listen to Coldplay a lot like the alternative style.. Not Frank Ocean's style. I think it's a huge mistake to tour with this support acts.. It's very disappointing to me and I think that the average Coldplay listener doesn't like this style either... It's a world of difference.

I agree with you that the average Coldplay listener won't like Frank Ocean's style and to be honest I was surprised when I heard he was their support for the European Tour.

In the big scheme of things, he's only doing 10 shows, so even though it is a risk Coldplay is taking, its a small one.

I honestly think Frank Ocean got this through Jay-Z as well. He worked with Jay-Z on WTT and I think that relationship helped him to get this spot. This is pure speculation though.

Side Note: Aside from Rita Ora, I actually like their support so far, especially Emeli Sande. Her song "Next To Me" is really good. Reminds me of Alicia Keys Fallin' days.

Yeah, I guess you were at least as surprised as I was. After Emili Sandé (what was a great support if you ask me) I didn't expect a support like this. It's just a little negative point. But I bought the ticket to see Coldplay live anyway, with or without support acts. Can't wait btw. They're so amazing live. :D

• 1 month later...

Rita Ora On Coldplay Support Slots: "It's Such A Huge Opportunity"

The 'R.I.P.' star promises to put on a big show when she joins the band on the road this summer.

rita-ora--1336482119-article-0.jpg

Rita Ora has said it feels like a "huge opportunity" to be supporting Coldplay on their upcoming UK tour.

The 'R.I.P.' singer, who is currently at number one on the Vodafone Big Top 40, said she couldn't wait to join the band at select dates this summer.

She told Capital FM: "First I'm thinking how am I going to play at all those arenas because they're huge. I'm so excited. I'm happy to even be a part of it."

Rita said that she was looking forward to making an impression on Coldplay's fans, adding: "It's such a huge, huge opportunity. I'm going to have so much fun with it and definitely put a show on."

The European lego of Coldplay's world tour will also see them supported by the likes of Charli XCX, Robyn and Marina and the Diamonds.

link

Is there any news on Marina and the Diamonds making her support slots in the UK? I read she'd been put on medical rest until the end of May, which cuts into her time. Haven't seen anything since to confirm or deny.