✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

What do you think of the song X&Y?

Lu'kaa I love your sig. :D

I love X&Y the song AND the album. Speaking of the song, I wish the piano was louder/more prominent in the album, since Chris really completes the song with his pianowork in the live versions. X&Y also has one of my favourite basslines. The part when the 2nd verse begins, when the bass and guitar join is a great moment. The bass really has a walking quality.

X&Y the album, I've realized, is brilliant because it juxtaposes a very well-done synth and guitar-driven space rock atmosphere yet it has the most personal lyrics of any Coldplay album. To me that represents the ultimate expressions of loneliness (Square One, What If, Talk), love (Swallowed in the Sea, A Message, X&Y, Fix You), and a sense of wonder at the world and universe and perhaps also a cynicism towards it (White Shadows, Speed of Sound, The Hardest Part, Twisted Logic). The album also has some of the best guitarwork (IMO, better than the first two albums, not as good as VLV/MX), hands down the BEST bass from Guy [see: Square One, What If, A Message, X&Y in particular], a lot of good drum moments too in What If and White Shadows. The vocal work is also very cool in my opinion.

Of course, all of these things are a double edged sword - spacy stuff --> accuse Coldplay of ripping off U2 or whoever else. Personal lyrics? "Cheesy." Good vocal work is code for "a lot of falsetto" and I think Chris Martin is one of the best falsetto singers of our time but others just find that annoying.

To complicate things, X&Y is also a tad bit too long, not the most well-ordered at some points. To really tighten the tracklist, my personal recommendation would have been to switch Fix You and Twisted Logic, and remove the Hardest Part and Low. Even though I LOVE every song on the album...although at certain points I think the Hardest Part wasn't quite done right on the album compared to the Chris solo version.