🌙 COLDPLAY ANNOUNCE MOON MUSIC OUT OCTOBER 4TH 🎵

The 12th Mixtape Exchange

djibou

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So here it is My Mixtape review:

Track 1 nice little instrumental piano tune, could be from a soundtrack of some sort but very nice it made me feel kinda sleepy ~__~

Track 2 I have a feeling it’s Susanne Sundfor I know I’ve heard a few of her songs but I never got into her stuff this song is really nice I think I will try some more stuff if is her.

Track 3 singing starts straight away piano voice sounds kinda soulful pretty good.

Track 4 opens with a lovely guitar melody and a male singer, a nice cheery song repetition of 'let the seasons begin' interested to know the artist

Track 5 a slower song, voice reminds me of Lou Reed with repetition of ‘we were at war with walls and faces’, there’s several layers building and a nice little piano melody, I quite like it probably will grow on me as well.

Track 6 I know I‘ve heard this before, but I don’t think I really paid much attention. I really like the electronic melody and the female voice is really sweet and I can’t really describe it’s just a really nice song <3

Track 7 another Instrumental piano melody I prefer this to track one but both are really soothing and again I feel sleepy

Track 8 Guitar melody and I think a male voice, nice upbeat song, on my second listen I’m liking this a lot more

Track 9 opens with guitar and piano melody, words Vesuvius used a lot so I’m guessing it’s called Vesuvius. Male singer and some electronic stuffz to, again liking this much more on my second listen.

Track 10 male singer I like his accent is he Scottish ?, piano melody very nice repetition of ‘it’s such a waste of all we have’. I like this song a lot <3

Track 11 another piano tune and I think there’s some guitar too very ambient, the guitar sounds remind me of albatross by Fleetwood Mac

Track 12 melody fades in and out okay that was very short I was expecting a big build up into a big song still very nice.

Thank you mixtape maker I really enjoyed your tape I don’t think there was a singe song I disliked

my favourites were tracks 2,4,6,8,10 &11 really liked the piano instrumentals too been listening to quite a lot instrumental stuff recently so thanks.

Sorry it took so long I kept procrastinating and then I fell asleep the first time I tried to review it I think that’s a sign of a good tape though :P

YEEEEEY this is mine :)

Ahh, I'm a horrible mixtape partner. Let's skip all the excuses for being late and go directly to the topic.

No worries I'm just as late myself :(

My mixtape had a name and an artwork:

1pyp95.png

This really appealed to me and gave me big expectations for the mixtape. And luckily, they were fulfilled:

There was originally 14 tracks on this tape and a slightly different order on the tracks but I guess I managed to fuck it up while uploading it :big cry:

I'm glad you liked what you got tho!!!!

1. Jazzy, atmospheric, a bit creepy instrumental. Interesting start.

This is part of the soundtrack from the 90's TV-show Twin Peaks by David Lynch. The music is by Angelo Badalamenti and it really captures the atmosphere of the whole series... if you haven't watched it I would recommend you do so!!!!

2. It starts with accordions and some aerophones, builds up with rocky guitars, then at the end drums get heavier and violins come in too. It's like an abstract collage of sounds. I can't understand the lyrics though, which language is it?

Ompa Til du Dør by Kaizers Orchestra. It's norwegian but they have a very thick accent so even some norwegians can find it quite hard to understand.

3. Upbeat bass + guitars intro. Then deep vocals enter: „Radio like transmission“ (…) „Dance, dance, dance to the radio“. It kinda refers to my username. :lol: It sounds like the 70s and 80s rock. I loved the bass and the guitars!

This is Transmission by Joy Division you've probably heard of them....

Yeah :P when I saw your username I just had to have it on the tape, I was thinking of using it as the opening track but it didn't fit so I just threw it in there...

I'm impressed that you actually noticed tho...

4. Acoustic one. The vocals really remind me of Luke Pritchard's vocals. Then later, a female singer joins in the background too. Howling accordion in the end. This is nice!

Done All Wrong by Black Rebel Motorcycle Club...

5. „It's been a long time, long time now, since I've seen your smile.“ This is Nantes by Beirut. I really like the song, but you probably missed it from my Last.fm as I usually listen to them on YouTube :P

Glad you enjoyed having it on the tape :)

6. Almost 2 minuts long intro, then a sweet male voice starts to sing dark, gloomy, but beautiful and sublime lyrics: „You lost all your sons and killed your daughters with your own doubt, so now you are the one who caves slowly in as stories spin out.“ Drums and violins come in. Wow, I got chills. „But it's all just one big lie, there is still earth beneath the pavement. There is still earth beneath the pavement“ - vocals become spine-tingling here, and then an instrumental outro concludes the song. Pure art, beautiful!

I think you just said it all!

The artist is Moddi, He's from the north of Norway and his soul and love for nature is with him in all his music, he is absolutely amazing and you should check out the whole album....

The track was Floriography

7. A cappela intro. It's a collaboration of two male singers I think. The vocals sound like James Blake to me, but I don't know if it's really him. Then it becomes all electronic. It gets repetitive, monotonous and boring after a while. I'm not really a fan of this.

No worries, Couldn't like everything right?

Yes, you're quite right this is James Blake and the name of the song is I Never Learnt to Share

8. Again a creppy and dark song. „This is a weeping song, a song in which to weep“ - the chorus screams. I liked the deep and rich instrumentalisation in this one!

The Weeping Song by Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds...a bloody amazing artist!!!

9. Another jazzy song, but now with vocals. Weeping horns and alluring piano. Looks like my partner likes jazz just as I do!

Tango Till They're Sore by Tom Waits and his amazing whiskey-voice :dozey:

Yes I do love jazz and every time I listen to it I wanna kick myself for not listening to it more often!

10. This is Holocene by Bon Iver, a song I've been digging a lot lately. I love how it's simple and rich at the same time!

^again...all said!

11. Silent violins, high-pitched piano, soporific vocals. It starts like a lullaby: relaxing, calming. Then it starts to get louder and heavier, until it reaches it's disturbing, but beautiful climax. As the song slowly fades out, I feel like I'm reliving the most beautiful dream of my childhood. But then, suddenly it turns into a terrifying nightmare. A dark synth starts, accompanied with something that sounds like a blustery wind and ends the mixtape mysteriously.

K / half noise by Múm... I find this a very relaxing and calming track and on the original track listing this track was supposed to end the mix tape!

The artist is just so freaking talented and amazing!!!!!

[/color]

Overall, I think that this is a fantastic mixtape. Thank you for it! :D I enjoyed all the songs except the song number 7. My favourites were (obviously) 6 and 11. Eagerly awaiting the tracklist!

I'm so happy you liked it so much :D

Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?a0nt3x089t0oync

I'm going to include the songs that got lost at the end of the track listing so that if you would like to, you could check them out :)

Tracklisting:

Track 1 The Bookhouse Boys by Angelo Badalamenti

Track 2 Ompa Til du Dør by Kaizers Orchestra

Track 3 Transmission by Joy Division

Track 4 Done All Wrong by Black Rebel Motorcycle Club

Track 5 Nantes by Beirut

Track 6 Floriography by Moddi

Track 7 I Never Learnt to Share by James Blake

Track 8 The Weeping Song by Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds

Track 9 Tango Till They're Sore by Tom Waits

Track 10 Holocene by Bon Iver

Track 11 K / half noise by Múm

Lost Track 1 Garden in the Ceiling by World's End Girlfriend

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g857UNIKQsM]Portrait watercolor - Speed painting - YouTube[/ame]

Lost Track 2 Personal Jesus by Johnny Cash

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyvFhrDzLfY]Johnny Cash - Personal Jesus - YouTube[/ame]

Lost Track 3 J'attendrai by Jean Sablon

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKXq_030_uQ]JEAN SABLON - 1939 - J'ATTENDRAI + LYRICS - YouTube[/ame]

YEEEEEY this is mine :)[/color]

I'm so happy you liked it so much :D

I'm going to include the songs that got lost at the end of the track listing so that I you would like to you could check them out :)

Tracklisting:

Track 1 The Bookhouse Boys by Angelo Badalamenti

Track 2 Ompa Til du Dør by Kaizers Orchestra

Track 3 Transmission by Joy Division

Track 4 K / half noise by Múm

Track 5 Nantes by Beirut

Track 6 Floriography by Moddi

Track 7 I Never Learnt to Share by James Blake

Track 8 The Weeping Song by Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds

Track 9 Tango Till They're Sore by Tom Waits

Track 10 Holocene by Bon Iver

Track 11 Garden in the Ceiling by World's End Girlfriend

Lost Track 1 Done All Wrong by Black Rebel Motorcycle Club

Lost Track 2 Personal Jesus by Johnny Cash

Lost Track 3 J'attendrai by Jean Sablon

JEAN SABLON - 1939 - J'ATTENDRAI + LYRICS - YouTube

Hey mariagborud! :D

Too bad I didn't get all the songs on the mixtape :( But I'll definetely listen to them!

Some comments:

3. Of course I've heard of Joy Division, but I don't know a lot of their work. Actually I'm going to see New Order (the band made of remaining Joy Division members) live in two weeks time! :D

6. Wow I definetely will! I think I love Norway, it has a wonderful music scene! William (The Final Track) introduced me to Sussane Sundfor, now you introduced me to Moddi. :awesome:

8. Ooh, Nick Cave? My mum is a big fan of his work and she gave me some of his albums to listen. I've just checked and there is one with this song on it. :D

9. I liked his voice! :P My little town has a good jazz music scene. There is a jazz festival in November every year, so how could I not like jazz? And also, once every month we have a "Jazz Wednesday". That basically means that there are a lot of jazz concerts in clubs round the town on that day. :)

11. That's an amazing video! But... the song in the video wasn't the one on the mixtape. K/Half Noise by Mum was the closing song on the mixtape, not the song number 4. And the song number 4 was Done All Wrong. Just so you can edit the tracklisting. :)

And thanks for the mixtape again! It really is magnificent. ;)

I'm glad you enjoyed the tape! I was your mixtape maker! :)

Here is the full tracklisting

1. Strange Days-The Doors
  2. Arena-Suuns
  3. Drugs-Ratatat
  4. Playground Love-Air
  5. Old Friend-Caveman
  6. Dust Bowl III-Other Lives
  7. Blank Pages-The Album Leaf
  8. Green Light Go-Modeselektor & PVT
  9. Nova-Burial & Four Tet
  10. Lighthouse-Patrick Watson
  11. Junk-Paul McCartney
  12. Sing it Again-Beck
  13. December 28th-Caveman
  14. Still Sound-Toro Y Moi
  15. Demon Host-Timber Timbre
  16. Hey Mama Wolf-Devendra Banhart

I'm glad you enjoyed the mix!

Should have recognized The Doors, and definitely Macca! I've listened a bit to Other Lives, Burial, Four Tet and The Album Leaf before, but never looked into them. I think I will now. And I'll look more into Air straight away.

Hey Kat, I was your mixtape partner! :)

My comments are in blue:

So here it is My Mixtape review:

Track 1 nice little instrumental piano tune, could be from a soundtrack of some sort but very nice it made me feel kinda sleepy ~__~

He has worked on some soundtracks, but I'm not sure about this one. It's "A Walk In The Forest" by Yiruma, a great Korean pianist. My girlfriend suggested this one for the mixtape! :lol:

Track 2 I have a feeling it’s Susanne Sundfor I know I’ve heard a few of her songs but I never got into her stuff this song is really nice I think I will try some more stuff if is her.

You're right, it really is her. It's a song called "The Brothel" from the same-titled album. You really should, her new album The Silicone Veil is amazing!

Track 3 singing starts straight away piano voice sounds kinda soulful pretty good.

It's "How Come You Never Go There" by Feist. I love her voice!

Track 4 opens with a lovely guitar melody and a male singer, a nice cheery song repetition of 'let the seasons begin' interested to know the artist

It's "Elephant Gun" by a band called Beirut. My friend introduced me to them and I really like their indie-balkan-folk style.

Track 5 a slower song, voice reminds me of Lou Reed with repetition of ‘we were at war with walls and faces’, there’s several layers building and a nice little piano melody, I quite like it probably will grow on me as well.

Haha, Lou Reed, that's interesting. It's a song called "War" by a great experimental artist, Son Lux.

Track 6 I know I‘ve heard this before, but I don’t think I really paid much attention. I really like the electronic melody and the female voice is really sweet and I can’t really describe it’s just a really nice song <3

Yess, she's amazing. It's Bjork and the song is called Hyper-Ballad.

Track 7 another Instrumental piano melody I prefer this to track one but both are really soothing and again I feel sleepy

Another Feist song, but this time an instrumental one. It's a piano version of "Intuition", from a documentary about her called "Look At What The Light Did Now".

Track 8 Guitar melody and I think a male voice, nice upbeat song, on my second listen I’m liking this a lot more

It's a song called "Two" by one of my favourite bands, The Antlers. The lyrics for this one are wonderful, imo.

Track 9 opens with guitar and piano melody, words Vesuvius used a lot so I’m guessing it’s called Vesuvius. Male singer and some electronic stuffz to, again liking this much more on my second listen.

Yes, it's "Vesuvius" by Sufjan Stevens, an American singer that I was introduced to in the last mixtape exchange! (Thanks, violetsparks ;))

Track 10 male singer I like his accent is he Scottish ?, piano melody very nice repetition of ‘it’s such a waste of all we have’. I like this song a lot <3

Yeah, it's a Scottish singer-songwriter known under the name King Creosote. This song is a collaboration with Jon Hopkins and it's called "Bats In The Attic".

Track 11 another piano tune and I think there’s some guitar too very ambient, the guitar sounds remind me of albatross by Fleetwood Mac

It's "Follow The Map" by an incredible instrumental Japanese band called MONO. This one is from their most recent album, "Hymn to the Immortal World". It's breathtaking as usual!

Track 12 melody fades in and out okay that was very short I was expecting a big build up into a big song still very nice.

Another MONO song. This one is called "Giant Me On The Other Side" and it's the closing song on their 2002 album, "One More Step And You Die".

Thank you mixtape maker I really enjoyed your tape I don’t think there was a singe song I disliked

my favourites were tracks 2,4,6,8,10 &11 really liked the piano instrumentals too been listening to quite a lot instrumental stuff recently so thanks.

Sorry it took so long I kept procrastinating and then I fell asleep the first time I tried to review it I think that’s a sign of a good tape though :P

Haha, I hope that it is. And don't worry, I kept procrasting with my review too :P

I'm so glad that you enjoyed the mixtape. :nice: Thanks for listening and reviewing!

Here's the tracklisting:

1. Yiruma - A Walk In The Forest
  2. Susanne Sundfør - The Brothel
  3. Feist - How Come You Never Go There
  4. Beirut - Elephant Gun
  5. Son Lux - War
  6. Björk - Hyper-Ballad
  7. Feist - Intuition (piano version)
  8. The Antlers - Two
  9. Sufjan Stevens - Vesuvius
  10. King Creosote & Jon Hopkins - Bats In The Attic
  11. MONO - Follow The Map
  12. MONO - Giant Me On The Other Side

And a download link:

http://www.mediafire.com/?8n4i7v74zey07zn

Thank you guys for the links as well! I am sure listening to the other tapes as well. Nice composed mixtapes!

- Angelo Badalamenti made such a great soundtrack for Twin Peaks. It's so hunting. I recommend the rest of it as well.

Thank you guys for the links as well! I am sure listening to the other tapes as well. Nice composed mixtapes!

- Angelo Badalamenti made such a great soundtrack for Twin Peaks. It's so hunting. I recommend the rest of it as well.

Thank you :P

Hey Kat, I was your mixtape partner! :)

My comments are in blue:

Haha, I hope that it is. And don't worry, I kept procrasting with my review too :P

I'm so glad that you enjoyed the mixtape. :nice: Thanks for listening and reviewing!

Here's the tracklisting:

4. Beirut - Elephant Gun
  5. Son Lux - War
  6. Björk - Hyper-Ballad
  8. The Antlers - Two

And a download link:

Thank you :hug:

Here's the tracklisting:

4. Beirut - Elephant Gun
  5. Son Lux - War
  6. Björk - Hyper-Ballad
  8. The Antlers - Two

And a download link:

OMG. Fran. This tape looks amazing. :dead:

Yes, I noticed the addition of Sufjan. I'm glad you've grown to like him so much. :blush:

Not only that! Your review of my last mixtape really helped me to shape this one up. My last one was really bad. :sick:

And I noticed the addition of Son Lux to your mixtape! :cheesy:

My partner hasn't been active in a month :(
Mine has, but he/she is not posting the kind of posts I am waiting for :P (just mean to say that I am curious for the review).

Another thing, I already gave a review here, but never got the tracklisting. Who made Split the Sky?

Mine has, but he/she is not posting the kind of posts I am waiting for :P (just mean to say that I am curious for the review).

Another thing, I already gave a review here, but never got the tracklisting. Who made Split the Sky?

I'm going to give you the tracklist and the name of your partner if they haven't showed any signs of life by July 1st.

Also, I'll assign the mixtapes of people who haven't got a review yet to volunteers who wouldn't mind doing a second review or something, because it's quite unfair to the people who worked on their mixtapes.

So yes, July 1st is a new deadline, I guess!

First off the cover art is awesome (and personalized with my name on it!!). Very nice touch.  It's called "NUM83R5" and the cover features some sort of one eyed entity behind one of those things where if you color in the right numbers you get a picture.  It's super creative and gets me very excited for the tape itself.

1. So the album starts out with piano chords.  The drumming and melody are reminiscent of X&Y era Coldplay actually.  It's a Female singer.  Kind of hard to make out the lyrics, but I love the melody.  Kinda haunting.  I have no clue who this is but I really like it.  Sounds like she's saying "You are the son of God" or something over some rhythmic "la la las" during the chorus.  

2. Starts out with drums and guitar, followed by an accordion.  Kind of Distorted vocals.  A familiar "sound", but I don't know the song.  Nice violins in the back in a couple of parts.  There's also a female background singer.   

3. Oh this sounds so familiar!  I know who this artist is but I can't put my finger on it.  Lead singer's a guy, but has a somewhat high pitch voice.  Sparse arrangement with heavy drums.  Gets a little heavier as guitars come in, then spaces out again through the coarse of the song.  "Don't you just love goodbyes" is a repeated lyric.  Some robotic vocal effects towards the end too.  Sounds like they're saying 1, 5, 6 (which works well with the tape's title).

4. Effects laden drum solo spans a whole track.  No vocals, so I'm completely clueless on who this is.  Synths come in briefly towards the end but soon cuts to next song.

5.  Vocal style sounds a little like Franz Ferdinand but I don't think it is.  There's a drudging drum beat and an echoey guitar.  The song so far doesn't have a clear chorus, but the lines "This town is burning down" are repeated.  Pretty cool song, a little sinister.  There's some good guitar work towards the end as well.

6.  Aetherical beginning.  Male singer again.  "Tired vocals" over piano chords soon backed by drum beat.  I believe the vocals are overdubbed as well.  Lyrics loop for a while and then fades back into effects until drums re-enter with distorted vocals and loud electronic/synth  loop in the back.  The bass seems to be electronic as well.  It's got a very nice soundscape backing.

7. Starts with what sounds like a mandolin or something along those lines.  Drum line is upbeat and danceable.  This group also sounds a bit familiar.  The mandolin riff continues throughout.  Song gets more mellow as it progresses.

8.  I don't know instrument this is in the intro.  Kind of reminds me of David Essex's "Rock On" for some reason.  Anyways, it's a nice backing track.  Many overdubbed drum parts, which gives a bit of an african feel to it.  Female singer this time.  This would be great in headphones.  Her vocals are fine, though I'm not a big fan of her singing style, but the instrumentation is what makes this song so great.

9. The heaviest song yet.  Fast distorted guitar and drums.  Vocals are screamy and often seem to lack melody . I don't usually listen to this type of thing.  Pretty good lyrics though and I could see this being played in the radio.  I like the outro, which is a little more the style of the other songs.

10. Another soundscape beginning with various beeps over synthetic strings.  Industrial drums fade in.  Seems to be another instrumental.  Reminds me if something from a sci fi.  I like it a lot.

11.  Guitar chords with heavy reverb.  Violin comes in.  Has an eastern sound.  Drums start and continue to get heavier until a guitar solo starts.  No vocals by 2 minute mark.  When they come it's a male singer.  Stylistically, it sounds like an American band.

12.  I like the bass at the beginning of this one.  Singer can sound like Bono at times, but musically it sounds more like Civil Twilight.  Is this guy speaking a different language?  Well now I have no clue who this is.  I think it's in Italian or Portuguese, but I really have no clue.  I like it though.  I assume it's a foreign band, but the song could just be in a different language.

13. Heavy Scottish/Irish accent.  So far it's only guitar and vocals (and maybe some keyboard chords in the back).  Regardless of the accent the lyrics are very easy to understand.  Now there are drums too.  This band doesn't sound like very much I've listened to before.  Pretty long song clocking in at around 9 minutes, but for that reason it makes a good ending to an excellent mix tape.  :)

My favorite track is track 1, but I thoroughly enjoyed the whole thing.  I'm sorry it took me so long to get my review in!

I volunteer! (but I am at a congress the first week of July so that week I can't review)

I'd like to volunteer too! But I'm in Italy the first of July because of the Radiohead concert :D

Okay guys, thanks, what about I send you the tapes before you go on your trips and you listen to them over there? And come back with a review?

Okay so I checked my stuff and so far

Five people haven't reviewed their mixtapes.

And three people have reviewed theirs but haven't got feedback yet.

So I'll need five people as volunteers to review. we already have 2, you can count me in, so there is need for two people (if no more reviews come around).