✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Mad at setlist

Fabodabo31

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GPASUYF has been freshened up & in my opinion is now one of their best live songs - they needed to show off a bit more rock. Up In Flames needs to go desperately, so does Princess of China. I saw them in December and they played What If - the less said about that the better. They need to introduce at LEAST one more song from Parachutes and X&Y, for me I'd take Spies and Talk.

Agree with danielbaker about Princess of China and Up in Flames. I really like both songs, but I can see them not working very well live. If another MX song is needed, I'd much prefer Up With the Birds to Up in Flames. I miss Talk and Politik desperately. I'm hoping really they'll be adding a few more songs to their setlist this summer. It seems they have played 23-26 in the past versus just 20. I'm kinda bummed to hear Guy doesn't like Shiver, cause that is one which would be perfect. But if Shiver, Talk, Politik, White Shadows, or Green Eyes were added I could be very happy. :)

Collaborated songs like PoC work well on the album, but unless you can bring the person with you on tour, they don't work at all live. The only exception I can see to this rule is U2's Miss Sarajevo because Bono sings Pavarotti's opera part fantastically.

I recently read the setlist for US tour and really? I mean Shiver has been on the setlist FOREVER, and instead theyre playing POC...:/ They're also not playing Lost or Politik, instead theyre playing a warning sign? Don't get me wrong, I love all of their songs, but I cant believe they gave up Politik, lost and Shiver...Get it together coldplay!

Different strokes for different folks. Personally, I've never cared for Politik (I know, shoot me), but Warning Sign is my favorite song ever. They can't please everyone I guess.:dozey:

I hope Coldplay realizes that having a pre-recorded video of Rihanna during a live performance of PoC is tacky. It doesn't work live! I recommend Amsterdam, UFO, or even Help Is Round the Corner. Cuz I like HIRTC alotzzz. ;)

I hope Coldplay realizes that having a pre-recorded video of Rihanna during a live performance of PoC is tacky. It doesn't work live! I recommend Amsterdam, UFO, or even Help Is Round the Corner. Cuz I like HIRTC alotzzz. ;)

They're not going to take it out (at least for awhile). For better or worse it is the current single.

They're not going to take it out (at least for awhile). For better or worse it is the current single.

Sadly, this is true. Its a shame that now Chris must feel obligated to play PoC live since Rihanna agreed to feature in the first place... :(

I have to give the San Jose 4/28/12 gig a 2nd listen, and perhaps piece together all the youtube videos posted. 1st impression is that they started very strong and finished strong, but the middle, between GPASUYF and VLV was week. Perhaps the visuals will make me feel differently.

Sadly, this is true. Its a shame that now Chris must feel obligated to play PoC live since Rihanna agreed to feature in the first place... :(

Perhaps they actually enjoy playing it:wink3:

I have to give the San Jose 4/28/12 gig a 2nd listen, and perhaps piece together all the youtube videos posted. 1st impression is that they started very strong and finished strong, but the middle, between GPASUYF and VLV was week. Perhaps the visuals will make me feel differently.

To be fair, they usually do stack the crowd pleasers at the start and finish (as do most bands, for that matter.)

To be fair, they usually do stack the crowd pleasers at the start and finish (as do most bands, for that matter.)

True! But earlier today, I watched Glastonbury 2002 (again) and there wasn't a single weak moment. Again I might change the tune when I'm able to watch the whole gig. As it is now, I can only listen and that is my 1st impression.

True! But earlier today, I watched Glastonbury 2002 (again) and there wasn't a single weak moment. Again I might change the tune when I'm able to watch the whole gig. As it is now, I can only listen and that is my 1st impression.

Fair enough.

Perhaps the visuals will make me feel differently.

This statement actually embodies my main "complaint," if you can call it, about this tour so far.

One leg is in the books and I feel that some people are still asking if they are going to a Coldplay concert for the music or for the visuals. The show directors seem to LOVE the visual effects, but I think they need to tone it down a few notches during some songs because now you have two conflicting aspects that make people wonder if this is a lightshow or a concert.

This statement actually embodies my main "complaint," if you can call it, about this tour so far.

One leg is in the books and I feel that some people are still asking if they are going to a Coldplay concert for the music or for the visuals. The show directors seem to LOVE the visual effects, but I think they need to tone it down a few notches during some songs because now you have two conflicting aspects that make people wonder if this is a lightshow or a concert.

It's a show. period. Just because it's built around music, doesn't mean music is the only aspect of the show. It's like Popmart, an experience for all the senses. Not everyone's cup of tea perhaps, but it is what it is.

Oh..I've decide I want Trouble in there too.. fat chance though! haha

I'd say it honestly has more of a chance than a lot of the songs that have been bandied about so far. At least they have been known to occasionally play trouble over the last several years.

It's a show. period. Just because it's built around music, doesn't mean music is the only aspect of the show. It's like Popmart, an experience for all the senses. Not everyone's cup of tea perhaps, but it is what it is.

Popmart is a very bad example to refer to since the majority of U2 fans (and the band itself) considered that tour to be a complete failure. In fact, they felt they had overextended their hand with the visuals such that they scaled back their visuals drastically for their Elevation Tour, which is probably the most visually simplistic tour they have ever had post Zoo TV.

I'm saying that the show must be build around music with the visuals supporting and enhancing the experience. There are some parts of the MX show that feels built around the visuals with the music almost being an afterthought. All in all, cut down on the lasers and the flashing lights. They're cool to have, but not in excess.

I'm saying that the show must be build around music with the visuals supporting and enhancing the experience. There are some parts of the MX show that feels built around the visuals with the music almost being an afterthought. All in all, cut down on the lasers and the flashing lights. They're cool to have, but not in excess.

To be fair, I don`t think its in excess at all. (I think CP are fully aware of this as well)

In their setlist of roughly 20 songs that they play, only:

- MX/Hurts Like Heaven

- Don't Let It Break Your Heart (may have lasers, don't recall)

- Charlie Brown

- Paradise

- Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall

5 songs use the Xylobands and lasers. That's 25% of the concert and that's by no means excess. In all the reviews that I've read as well, they have said that the visuals are an accent to the music and don't take away from it.

Also, all the reviews we have read from fellow coldplayers, I have yet to read one that comments on the visual effects being distracting (maybe there was one, but I havn't seen it).

All in all, to each their own.

Popmart is a very bad example to refer to since the majority of U2 fans (and the band itself) considered that tour to be a complete failure. In fact, they felt they had overextended their hand with the visuals such that they scaled back their visuals drastically for their Elevation Tour, which is probably the most visually simplistic tour they have ever had post Zoo TV.

The band doesn't consider it a failure at all. They did say that at the time, but in more recent years, they've basically said that they felt they had to say that to re-gain credibility they felt they lost, and post Elevation tour they've been steadily drifting back towards their mid/late 90's style, both musically and production wise. To me, that must mean they like that style.

Nonetheless, my point still stands that the MX tour is a show, one that includes visual as well as musical elements. Like I said, not everyone's cup of tea, but that doesn't mean it doesn't appeal to some people as much (or even moreso) than a more minimalist production. Different strokes for different folks.