✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Mad at setlist

Fabodabo31

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HELL NO! IMP is THE Buckin moment of the gig, it has to stay! :angry:

Seriously, I used to be mad because of the absence of Politik, but the current setlist is actually really good, so it's OK. They have to take into account casual fans & real fans, and I think they do that pretty nicely. It would be amazing if they could add 1-2 songs. But, as many who have come to their shows have said, they really give everything on stage, and some of them wonder if they actually could do more :lol: Better have a short, yet incredible, energetic show, than a 3 hour show where they'd have to save their energy.

Anyway, I've realized how lucky I am to be able to go to one of their gigs, and whether I'm happy or not with the setlist doesn't really matter in the end, because I know I'll enjoy the show no matter what they play :)

I think the problem is it still gets one of the loudest cheers from the really casual fans (like my sister, who couldn't even be bothered to listen to MX before the concert :shocked2: and then spends all night moaning in my ear she doesn't know the songs :()

I'd take absolutely anything else from ARoB over Clocks, or from x&y (esp Square One!!) or from Parachutes (esp Everything's Not Lost!!).

Interestingly the breakdown of songs was/is (not counting played back instrumentals - probably wrong because maths is not my strong point):

MX - 9

ARoB - 5

VLV - 3

x&y - 2 :o

Parachutes - 1 :shocked2:

Fair play for them to have so much faith in the new album, and it's refreshing for a band like them to not rest on their laurels and mix things up by bringing back tracks like Warning Sign (this tour) and The Hardest Part (last).

But if you're going to drop the likes of Politik, keeping Clocks is the ultimate 'resting on your laurels' for me. I know as many people who aren't bothered about it as passionately love it (unlike, perhaps, Fix You or even In My Place which seem universally appreciated)...

Time for the chop, Clocks :wink3: :laugh3:

Clocks is more than just one of the "big cheer moments" though. The piano hook has been used so much in promos, film trailers, etc. it perhaps rivals anything else as the single piece of music (not the whole song, mind), that the band are most known for.

I disagree with Clocks vs Fix You - the latter everyone absolutely loves live. Clocks the casuals love, and quite a few (probably the majority) of long-term fans, but I think there's a feeling amongst the (largish) minority that it's gone on too long...

Agreed about In My Place - it's one of the most euphoric songs they ever play :)

Oh yeah, I still like it live. Normally because I'm so caught up having an awesome time at the gig I don't care.

When In My Place started this time round I think I bounced and squealed. I love it :D

Clocks is more than just one of the "big cheer moments" though. The piano hook has been used so much in promos, film trailers, etc. it perhaps rivals anything else as the single piece of music (not the whole song, mind), that the band are most known for.

Yeah. In fairness, it could be any song which had been picked up wholesale and played everywhere by everyone, and we'd probably be bored of that one and wishing they'd play Clocks more.

Oh yeah, I still like it live. Normally because I'm so caught up having an awesome time at the gig I don't care.

When In My Place started this time round I think I bounced and squealed. I love it :D

Yeah. In fairness, it could be any song which had been picked up wholesale and played everywhere by everyone, and we'd probably be bored of that one and wishing they'd play Clocks more.

I'd rather have it in than IMP, Fix You, or Politik personally. (I don't like Politik at all TBH)

I'd rather have it in than IMP, Fix You, or Politik personally. (I don't like Politik at all TBH)

Fair nuff. I went through a period where I didn't listen to IMP at all because it had been overplayed on the radio/tv. When I came back to it, I remembered why I really liked it in the first place.

I have a soft spot for Politik and IMP. The first time I heard them was the week after IMP had got it's first play on the radio. We were standing right in front of the speaker stack on Guy's side of the stage and when they opened with Politik I could feel the bass resonating in my chest from the speakers which was highly odd at the time. Plus when they played IMP, I'd only heard it once yet seemed to know all the words too.

THIS. I'd die to get to hear Shiver live... I'm hoping by the time I see them in August a few more of the oldies will be added.

Shiver seems to be one of those songs where the band has said some of them like it and some of them don't, so not sure if it will be back much. I'm thinking Will and Guy are in the anti-shiver camp, as Jonny and Chris have played shiver by themselves sometimes (crisis gigs, South America 2007), and Guy seemed noticably irritated when they played it last year at festivals. At T in the Park, Chris even whispered something to him and shrugged before they played it.

I was happy that I finally got to hear Shiver live for the first time at Lollapalooza last year because it's my favorite song. I could tell that Guy hated playing it though. I do wish that they'd play it more.

Well I'm not sure where I could stand amongst this thread/debate about the current setlist, but I think its pretty amazing tbh! and I don't think any of us would be standing at a concert and then have a song come on and think 'urgh not this one again' :| lmfao!

I am a bit gutted to see Politik go from the setlist, especially as the piano intro to Viva La Vida was pretty epic too! but as I got to see them open the tour in Glasgow in December, then I can say that I've already seen that and wouldn't mind a change :) would've loved to see Everything's Not Lost and/or Life Is For Living too, but those were only done during the festivals period and various other places too I think!

With the whole Clocks/Fix You thing, I think Clocks is always great to see and makes a good lead song for Fix You, even if that has its own various other song intros haha! but yeah Fix You is always amazing and is another of the big sing along songs too, which is incredible to hear when you get an incredible crowd to go along with it! and of course is even more incredible to be part of and experience for yourself :)

I could probably go on forever about many many other songs that are or have been on the setlist, but most things will have already been said anyway, without needing to add anything extra or repeat anything already said.

None of them should hate playing songs they have made though to be fair?

IDK, it's only natural they'd like some songs more than others, so I don't see why that should preclude the possiblity that they'd hate a few of them.

Will, for instance, has said openly on more than one occasion that he's not overly fond of most of Parachutes.

Don't see why not. R.E.M. hated Shiny Happy People and refused to play it at all, even though it's probably one of their most played, popular songs and ended up on probably their most critically acclaimed album. You don't know what went on behind the scenes with Shiver, how it was written or presented to the band in the first place.

I always wonder with bands, how harmonious it is in the songwriting and recording process. Law of averages says that all members can't like all of their songs all of the time.

Shiver, See You Soon, Everything's Not Lost, Strawberry Swing, Life in Technicolour II and Glass of Water would all slot quite nicely into almost any part of the setlist.

The problem is the band have songs which are almost too 'dark' to fit the euphoric sense of joy that comes with the MX songs. If you played songs like Politik, What If?, Death and All His Friends etc, it just wouldn't fit in with the 'theme' of the setlist. Live concerts need cohesion and playing these sorts of songs would not fit well at all.

Don't see why not. R.E.M. hated Shiny Happy People and refused to play it at all, even though it's probably one of their most played, popular songs and ended up on probably their most critically acclaimed album. You don't know what went on behind the scenes with Shiver, how it was written or presented to the band in the first place.

I always wonder with bands, how harmonious it is in the songwriting and recording process. Law of averages says that all members can't like all of their songs all of the time.

Heck, Radiohead has more or less disowned the bulk of their first 3 albums these days. A lot of bands have material in their catalog they have negative feelings towards.

They wrote the Parachutes material in their late teens/very early twenties and they're in their mid thirties now. People change a great deal over that span of time. I know a lot of fans adore Parachutes, but it's also clear none of the band members consider it their best work.

Boo. I know Shiver is not likely to pop up but it's such a shame. Besides that, I mainly want to see more from X&Y. Like Talk. :D

I'm pretty sure most of X&Y joins Parachutes in the "we don't really like this" catagory as far as the band members are concerned.

I can understand where they are coming from, as a musician. I can't think of any single artist who has a select few songs of theirs they don't enjoy playing.