✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Mad at setlist

Fabodabo31

The band doesn't consider it a failure at all. They did say that at the time, but in more recent years, they've basically said that they felt they had to say that to re-gain credibility they felt they lost, and post Elevation tour they've been steadily drifting back towards their mid/late 90's style, both musically and production wise. To me, that must mean they like that style.

I definitely do not see them heading anywhere towards a Pop-era style in any way shape or form, with the exception of one comment in which Bono joked about bringing the giant Lemon to Glastonbury. Their musical style and production in HTDAAB and NLOTH have been unlike any of their prior albums. In fact, looking at all of U2's albums and tours in a continuum, Pop and the PopMart Tour are completely on their own plane. Pop was a result of them wanting to take the ZooTV feel and scale it up. They tried it, it was cool, but they have never turned back to that way since.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I definitely do not see them heading anywhere towards a Pop-era style in any way shape or form, with the exception of one comment in which Bono joked about bringing the giant Lemon to Glastonbury. Their musical style and production in HTDAAB and NLOTH have been unlike any of their prior albums. In fact, looking at all of U2's albums and tours in a continuum, Pop and the PopMart Tour are completely on their own plane. Pop was a result of them wanting to take the ZooTV feel and scale it up. They tried it, it was cool, but they have never turned back to that way since.

I guess it's a matter of opinion, but to me, the songs on NLOTH are a lot closer to pop than they are to ATYCLB or their classic 80's sound. Likewise with the 360 tour. Also, within the touring production industry, Popmart is considered to have introduced many ideas that have since become industry standard.

Collaborated songs like PoC work well on the album, but unless you can bring the person with you on tour, they don't work at all live. The only exception I can see to this rule is U2's Miss Sarajevo because Bono sings Pavarotti's opera part fantastically.

When Snow Patrol played Set the Fire live at the BIC in Feb, they had a female singer to do Martha's bits which worked.

In both cases, they found a way to make it work with an actual person, whether it was Snow Patrol bringing in another female to sing Martha's part or Bono flexing his opera muscles to play Pavarotti's part. But I will say that during one of the first performances of Miss Sarajevo when Pavarotti was not available, the band did take out an old school gramophone to play a recording of Pavarotti's part.

But with POC, a recording of Rihanna seems very out of place and devalues the song quite a bit, in my opinion.

In response to Black Rose's suggestion, you really don't want them to do that. It ruins the entire aspect of their gig. I know U2 designs their shows to be a story with different parts of the narrative and I'm sure Coldplay does the same thing when they designed their setlist. There are some songs that you always want to keep in the mix because of the role they play in the overall narrative. For Coldplay, these songs may be Yellow, Charlie Brown, Every Teardrop, their heavy hitters, essentially. Then there are a few slots that can feature different songs in a somewhat cyclic fashion, like Warning Sign's slot can be cycled for other acoustic-like songs. I will admit that I don't follow Coldplay as obsessively as I follow U2, so I probably won't know the ins and outs of their setlist and the songs they have available like many of you do, but I'm sure there is a set organization and a place to introduce variation.

In both cases, they found a way to make it work with an actual person, whether it was Snow Patrol bringing in another female to sing Martha's part or Bono flexing his opera muscles to play Pavarotti's part. But I will say that during one of the first performances of Miss Sarajevo when Pavarotti was not available, the band did take out an old school gramophone to play a recording of Pavarotti's part.

But with POC, a recording of Rihanna seems very out of place and devalues the song quite a bit, in my opinion.

In response to Black Rose's suggestion, you really don't want them to do that. It ruins the entire aspect of their gig. I know U2 designs their shows to be a story with different parts of the narrative and I'm sure Coldplay does the same thing when they designed their setlist. There are some songs that you always want to keep in the mix because of the role they play in the overall narrative. For Coldplay, these songs may be Yellow, Charlie Brown, Every Teardrop, their heavy hitters, essentially. Then there are a few slots that can feature different songs in a somewhat cyclic fashion, like Warning Sign's slot can be cycled for other acoustic-like songs. I will admit that I don't follow Coldplay as obsessively as I follow U2, so I probably won't know the ins and outs of their setlist and the songs they have available like many of you do, but I'm sure there is a set organization and a place to introduce variation.

True, but to continue the U2 example, it's worth keeping in mind that while they do change up their sets these days, for most of their older tours (and most especially on their 90's stadium tours) there shows were exactly the same night after night. Even on 360, most of the major change-ups occured between legs as opposed to between shows.

Honestly, I don't think radiohead's style of gigging is all it's cracked up to be either, as at this point, there's large sections of their catalog that they haven't played in years.

True, but to continue the U2 example, it's worth keeping in mind that while they do change up their sets these days, for most of their older tours (and most especially on their 90's stadium tours) there shows were exactly the same night after night. Even on 360, most of the major change-ups occured between legs as opposed to between shows.

Honestly, I don't think radiohead's style of gigging is all it's cracked up to be either, as at this point, there's large sections of their catalog that they haven't played in years.

Oh yeah, the change is definitely good. And you're absolutely right. Towards the end of the 360 and Vertigo, the band were switching things up quite a bit. But many of their staples remained and the general narrative of the tour was preserved with the exception of the encore for the most part. 360 was a weird one in that it evolved in extremely clear stage.

In Coldplay's case, I think it's still a bit early to start discussing setlist changes since the tour hasn't fully developed to your typical 24 song set. Granted, their setlist actually has grown a bit. Their Cologne set was 14 songs and their San Jose (4/27/12) set was 19 songs. When the setlist expands, we'll see some of their older songs come back and some slots to make nice rotations between nights.

Oh yeah, the change is definitely good. And you're absolutely right. Towards the end of the 360 and Vertigo, the band were switching things up quite a bit. But many of their staples remained and the general narrative of the tour was preserved with the exception of the encore for the most part. 360 was a weird one in that it evolved in extremely clear stage.

In Coldplay's case, I think it's still a bit early to start discussing setlist changes since the tour hasn't fully developed to your typical 24 song set. Granted, their setlist actually has grown a bit. Their Cologne set was 14 songs and their San Jose (4/27/12) set was 19 songs. When the setlist expands, we'll see some of their older songs come back and some slots to make nice rotations between nights.

I'm not sure the club/festival/promo gigs should really be included in any evolution because those types of gigs are notorious for being prone to outside considerations that keep sets short.

I guess my overall point is that while I do believe Coldplay's live sets could be improved, I also see the band making incrimental progress in doing so (they are making more changes to the sets on this tour compared to previous ones for example.)

I'm not sure the club/festival/promo gigs should really be included in any evolution because those types of gigs are notorious for being prone to outside considerations that keep sets short.

I guess my overall point is that while I do believe Coldplay's live sets could be improved, I also see the band making incrimental progress in doing so (they are making more changes to the sets on this tour compared to previous ones for example.)

Was the Cologne gig a festival show? I thought it was a part of the first European leg.

EDIT: Ok I looked back and it was a festival show. I also looked at the shows in the first European leg and they were roughly 18 or so songs, so there is a small increase.

But their song selection during the first leg was somewhat surprising to me since they picked many songs that I honestly don't think work very well live...

Was the Cologne gig a festival show? I thought it was a part of the first European leg.

EDIT: Ok I looked back and it was a festival show. I also looked at the shows in the first European leg and they were roughly 18 or so songs, so there is a small increase.

But their song selection during the first leg was somewhat surprising to me since they picked many songs that I honestly don't think work very well live...

I think it was around 17-18 for the Euro leg, and has been between 19-21 (depending on how you count) for the just ended North American gigs. In the past, they did beef up their set for the stadium gigs, so fingers crossed they'll be playing longer now.

• 4 weeks later...

To be honest, as much as I love it live, I don't think it would have fitted with the feel of the rest of the show if it had been in there. Difficult to explain exactly, but the vibe of the show and the way they put together, it would have been a bit of a dischord to put it in. I think that makes sense :p

I think the tour's presently a couple of songs short - it feels it. One main stage and one C-stage. It takes them so long to get there and back it's a bit of a waste of time right now (it's not, because it's lovely, but time wasted > playing time with just two songs).

Politik is not only imo their best song live, it's their best song ever, so it was a real shock it was dropped. I never thought I'd see the day! I was certain they'd add it in at the 2nd or 3rd Emirates gigs once they'd got used to the rest of the set. I can only think that:

a) It's so powerful, such a highlight, that it'd overshadow some of the 'lighter' MX stuff. It's got the same kind of energy as DLIBYH, for example, but has an extra edge.

b) They just really need a break from it to come back with it re-invigorated at a later stage (a la GPaS - which was almost as strange an omission in it's full form on the last tour)

I just hope it's b)!

Otherwise it's incredible to have LiJ back so far :dance: I think they may replace it with Lost in NA, but for me not to play Lovers is madness, it's one of their most exciting songs live, incredible energy (and the versions at the Emirates were the best I've ever heard - they really rocked it :sunny:)

Warning Sign - what can I say? I've heard this once - ONCE!! - in nine years of following this band, and that was in 2005. One of their most beautiful, tender songs, spine-tingling songs. I hope everyone on this tour is lucky enough to see it.

So the only problem for me is that it's a little bit short still - I thought between the London 02 show and these ones - six months after all - they could have added one or two more as they usually do. But, perhaps that's it, and like MX itself they wanted to leave it short and snappy and people crying out for more?

I didn't miss Politik as much as I thought, but I certainly wouldn't like to think it's gone for good!!

Oh, and I seem to be in a minority on this one, but I wish they'd get rid of Clocks. I was sick of it by the end of the x&y tour...

Oh, and I seem to be in a minority on this one, but I wish they'd get rid of Clocks. I was sick of it by the end of the x&y tour...

You're not alone. Don't get me wrong, I do like it, but AROBTTH would have been much preferred.

Oh, and I seem to be in a minority on this one, but I wish they'd get rid of Clocks.

Yes please! I really don't like Clocks, at all (although it was more than OK on 4 June, but that was because the entire concert was fricking amazing).

Yes please! I really don't like Clocks, at all (although it was more than OK on 4 June, but that was because the entire concert was fricking amazing).

You're not alone. Don't get me wrong, I do like it, but AROBTTH would have been much preferred.

I think the problem is it still gets one of the loudest cheers from the really casual fans (like my sister, who couldn't even be bothered to listen to MX before the concert :shocked2: and then spends all night moaning in my ear she doesn't know the songs :()

I'd take absolutely anything else from ARoB over Clocks, or from x&y (esp Square One!!) or from Parachutes (esp Everything's Not Lost!!).

Interestingly the breakdown of songs was/is (not counting played back instrumentals - probably wrong because maths is not my strong point):

MX - 9

ARoB - 5

VLV - 3

x&y - 2 :o

Parachutes - 1 :shocked2:

Fair play for them to have so much faith in the new album, and it's refreshing for a band like them to not rest on their laurels and mix things up by bringing back tracks like Warning Sign (this tour) and The Hardest Part (last).

But if you're going to drop the likes of Politik, keeping Clocks is the ultimate 'resting on your laurels' for me. I know as many people who aren't bothered about it as passionately love it (unlike, perhaps, Fix You or even In My Place which seem universally appreciated)...

Time for the chop, Clocks :wink3: :laugh3:

Poor you! :lol:

Indeed :cry: Last time I ever take her - she will shortly be up on ebay as a Coldplay concert 'buddy' (earplugs included). She won't fetch much, but that's ok. To adapt an old joke - "take my sister - please" :laugh3:

If the theory that they were recording all of the European/UK stadium shows for the live film is correct, then I think it's possible they will change up the setlist for the next leg of the tour. If I am right in thinking that they have all the recorded material they need for the live film, there won't be any need to keep playing the same setlist each night (that was the reason for the repetitive setlists right?). So hopefully more variation in the upcoming concerts.

I think the problem is it still gets one of the loudest cheers from the really casual fans (like my sister, who couldn't even be bothered to listen to MX before the concert :shocked2: and then spends all night moaning in my ear she doesn't know the songs :()

I'd take absolutely anything else from ARoB over Clocks, or from x&y (esp Square One!!) or from Parachutes (esp Everything's Not Lost!!).

Interestingly the breakdown of songs was/is (not counting played back instrumentals - probably wrong because maths is not my strong point):

MX - 9

ARoB - 5

VLV - 3

x&y - 2 :o

Parachutes - 1 :shocked2:

Fair play for them to have so much faith in the new album, and it's refreshing for a band like them to not rest on their laurels and mix things up by bringing back tracks like Warning Sign (this tour) and The Hardest Part (last).

But if you're going to drop the likes of Politik, keeping Clocks is the ultimate 'resting on your laurels' for me. I know as many people who aren't bothered about it as passionately love it (unlike, perhaps, Fix You or even In My Place which seem universally appreciated)...

Time for the chop, Clocks :wink3: :laugh3:

I only actually like Fix You live now, and that's probably only because of the fireworks. I always skip it when it comes on my walkman. But I can't see how they could leave it out really, not while they're playing massive shows like this. The casuals, and the people who haven't seen them before would have a fit if it wasn't played. I suppose it's the same with Clocks. The songs that get all the airplay, the ones we're generally sick of because they get played and played, are the ones that will probably never leave the setlist until they do the small-club-back-to-our-roots-gig (which one day may happen, you'll never know...).

In My Place has to stay though. I love it. Good memories of that.

I only actually like Fix You live now, and that's probably only because of the fireworks. I always skip it when it comes on my walkman. But I can't see how they could leave it out really, not while they're playing massive shows like this. The casuals, and the people who haven't seen them before would have a fit if it wasn't played. I suppose it's the same with Clocks. The songs that get all the airplay, the ones we're generally sick of because they get played and played, are the ones that will probably never leave the setlist until they do the small-club-back-to-our-roots-gig (which one day may happen, you'll never know...).

In My Place has to stay though. I love it. Good memories of that.

I disagree with Clocks vs Fix You - the latter everyone absolutely loves live. Clocks the casuals love, and quite a few (probably the majority) of long-term fans, but I think there's a feeling amongst the (largish) minority that it's gone on too long...

Agreed about In My Place - it's one of the most euphoric songs they ever play :)