✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

MUSICIANS WELCOME!!! "How We See The World" Project - A New Beginning?

This sounds like a great idea, and I'd love to participate. I could even maybe do multiple things. My main issue is that I'm horribly unoriginal and don't have the best songwriting/composing skills in the world. :embarrassed: I haven't written lyrics since I was 14 (and they were REALLY cheesy lyrics), and the only thing I've composed was an Impressionistic-influenced vocal piece for baritone and piano (and I only did it because I was required to for a major grade in my Theory 4 class).

I could maybe give it a go, though, just because it's something different.

If you're studying Theory 4, you're probably really good and really self-critical when you don't need to be,lol. I only say that because I'm usually my own worst critic too.

On the first version, we had a 15-year-old girl submis her first piano instrumental ever, and we used it for a backdrop for a PSA for Oxfam at the end.

All contributions are wanted, welcome and encouraged. And if it motivates people to write/stretch their musical selves, so much the better!:)

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This sounds like a great idea, and I'd love to participate. I could even maybe do multiple things. My main issue is that I'm horribly unoriginal and don't have the best songwriting/composing skills in the world. :embarrassed: I haven't written lyrics since I was 14 (and they were REALLY cheesy lyrics), and the only thing I've composed was an Impressionistic-influenced vocal piece for baritone and piano (and I only did it because I was required to for a major grade in my Theory 4 class).

I could maybe give it a go, though, just because it's something different.

Hey I'll bet your fantastic writer. :) Sounds like you can write paragraphs just for starters. :D

I wrote 2 songs last night with HWSTW in mind. It's just a few silly stanzas. I don't know if it would be much help. It's just lyrics, and they are cheesy as hell. And make no sense.

If you're studying Theory 4, you're probably really good and really self-critical when you don't need to be,lol. I only say that because I'm usually my own worst critic too.

On the first version, we had a 15-year-old girl submis her first piano instrumental ever, and we used it for a backdrop for a PSA for Oxfam at the end.

All contributions are wanted, welcome and encouraged. And if it motivates people to write/stretch their musical selves, so much the better!:)

Oh no, Theory 4 was back in my sophomore year of college. I graduated in May. At any rate, Theory 4 was nothing compared to my Form and Analysis class, where I had to analyze full works of classical music. For a major grade, I had to count Stravinsky's "Octet for Winds" (or was it "L'Historie du Soldat?") while counting out loud and having both my hands and one foot doing three completely different things. (If I remember correctly, my foot was keeping the beat, my left hand was patting the subdivision, and my right hand was doing the rhythms that I counted.) It was honestly one of the hardest things I've ever done.

Anyway, I'll keep what you said in mind. I probably won't share the piece that I wrote for my class (I have several reasons for that), but I may somehow get a spurt of something that might help me write. Thanks for the encouragement. :smiley:

Hey I'll bet your fantastic writer. :) Sounds like you can write paragraphs just for starters. :D

I wrote 2 songs last night with HWSTW in mind. It's just a few silly stanzas. I don't know if it would be much help. It's just lyrics, and they are cheesy as hell. And make no sense.

You're too kind. :nice:

If you don't mind someone else seeing them, I could offer to look at your lyrics and maybe make suggestions. If not, I understand. I just want to help.

Alright that would be great. The songs have some silly lines in them. I have only been playing and writing for 2 years so. Here are two I finished last night as well as this morning.

The Time Traveler

In this wicked and wild night

There are things I can't begin to explain

unsolved mysteries deep full of meaning

Waiting to be answered , Waiting to be seen

Singing, where have the trees gone?

Singing, where did they go wrong?

And on and on

Sunlight is coming

and running, running out of time

trying to fix things unexplained

helping others is a crime

That's what they're saying

In they're sleep that's what they're praying

and on and on

Oh keep fighting on

Until your strength is gone

and on and on

Oh keep fighting on

Until your strength is gone

and on and on

That's all I have for that song. Here's another i wrote, but it's missing two lines.

Wilderness

I'm stuck alone

In my own wilderness

Covered in snow six feet deep

Held down without taking a leap

One day I will escape this hole

Without any wounds to heal

One day will you save my soul?

Without any worry to feel

I'm stuck alone

In my own wilderness

Covered in chains six feet thick

Tied down and feeling sick

Hoping for a new tomorrow

Without any pain or sorrow

One day I will escape this hole

(I don't have a line here yet)

One day will you save my soul?

(No line here either)

And maybe one day

You will come save me from this hole

That's tearing apart my soul

Is it your goal, will you save me?

Or will you just leave me be

Ok here's one more I wrote earlier. It's weird and makes no sense. :P

Incognito

You told me who you were

But I didn't believe you though

You told me who you were

But I didn't believe you so

Make me believe it's you

and I'll follow you where ever you go

The past racing by so fast

The future's worrying

It will end up in a cast

You tied me up to the mast

And told me to hold fast

I will break through

And figure out why

I'll figure out your puzzle's

And how one plus one equals two

I'll decipher what happened to you

The past racing by so fast

The future's worrying

It will end up in a cast

You tied me up to the mast

And told me to hold fast

Will I ever see the old you again?

Will you ever return to me?

And set those demons free?

When will you ever be the old you to me?

Because all you are now is incognito

So This is what I have so far from today. They are silly songs but advice is greatly appreciated. :)

I wouldn't say they're silly. In fact, there are some bits which I rather like. They just need some sprucing up, is all. I'll start with "Wilderness," seeing as I have the clearest idea about what you might can do with it.

The chorus is fine. I'd leave that alone. I'd do something slightly different with the verses, though. I'll use the first one as an example.

"Covered in snow six feet deep

Held down without taking a leap

I'm stuck here, all alone.

I'm stuck here, on my own."

I feel like doing it this way will help the flow of the song. The whole "wilderness" bit throws it off. It also feels redundant. You've called the song "Wilderness," and I feel that by using some of the lyrics you've used, you can show the feeling of being in a wilderness without having to explicitly state it. I feel like the song actually has more power that way.

Now, having said that, you can do something similar with the second couplet ("Covered in chains six feet thick/Tied down and feeling sick"). You could even use the same words if you wanted. Then, after the second chorus, insert a short instrumental break, take the dynamics down a notch, and go to the third couplet ("Hoping for a new tomorrow/Without any pain or sorrow"). For the second half of the third verse, I'd use a rhyming couplet that's more hopeful in nature; it changes the vibe, as well as keeps it from being overly repetitive.

I'll think more on the other two before telling you what I think. Keep in mind that you don't have to take any of my suggestions if you don't see it fit. I'm just going through my way of thinkiing with what you have provided for me. If it helps, that's just a bonus.

Your suggestions make sense. It's great to get feedback thank you. :)

For that 3rd verse I started off with New tomorrow/pain and sorrow. Maybe it's to cliche, I'm not sure. Tell me what you think.

I'm hoping for a new tomorrow

Without any pain or sorrow

I will give you a sign

If you come close to

this place of mine

One last question about this song too, if I may ask? After the 3rd verse, would you go to the chorus or the bridge to end the song? Also what do you think would be a fitting title for this song? Thanks again for your help, it means a lot.

First things first: Keep the title. I think it's quite suitable.

As far as the third verse, the idea is there, but I'd reword it a bit. Maybe something more like this:

"I'm hoping for a new tomorrow

Without any pain or sorrow.

Help me. Show me. Give me a sign.

Come join me, in this place of mine"

I had several ideas running around my head for that bit, but I think you have a better idea of what you could do.

To answer your other question, I'd do both the original chorus and the last bit (which is not really a bridge, but an altered chorus). The original chorus needs to be there, and it'd be such a shame not to use the altered chorus, especially given the ambiguous nature it gives the ending.

Alright, I just finished writing a song. It needs work and is a rhyming mess. But here it is(if anybody wants to use this for HWSTW).

How I See the World

I'm gonna show you the world

Grab the horses from out of the stall

I'm gonna show you outside forces

From way within their walls

I'm gonna show you a place

Where troubles cannot be traced

And all the outsiders see

Is nothing except you and me

I'm gonna show you a place

Where others care about the human race

And treat them as if they have a face

We're going on an adventure today

Will you help others get what they pray for

Oh, will you help them stop the war

In the summer breeze

We will run/jump across the shore

I will open the door, for you to see

And show you, there are people out there

Just like you and me

It's not much but I hope it can help jump start this project.

I can't sing and I am not good at playing but I know how to mix the sound, if you guys send me stems I put them together. Also I have some good audio edition programs, I can make some MIDI, if needed. I can also edit images, if you'd like to make a cover.

THanks, but I'd prefer if people send files to me first. I'll have the whole thing mastered when we have enough material. :)

There's a Coldplaying members band that I'm hoping will put something together. (thread link earlier in this page.) But I still need individual tracks from forum members. I only have 3 so far.

^ You flatter me too much. :blush:

Actually, I wanted to ask Tracie if the songs on this compilation had to necessarily be happy ones because I had a couple of concepts come to me last night before I went to bed. If not, I can start work on a couple of tracks.

Please pick me!

Please pick me once again. I had a song on the previous album, and I am really thrilled this has gotten started again. It's a great thing and I'm happy to contribute.

I don't know how to send the files, so please if you could listen to the song and okay it, then I can send you the file somehow.

I was thinking of one of my songs, Picture of You. It's currently at Spotify and at my myspace.

So Please check it out and PM me if you are interested in my song. If you find any other song there you should prefer, that is of course also very fine. Maybe Sending My Love To You. So one of those two songs.

Search for Simon M Harris at spotify for my music, and go to http://www.myspace.com/simonmharris.

Great!! :):)

I'm thoroughly interested, but I'm still not getting the concept...

So Coldplayers will make a compilation album made of original songs, to sell somewhere? and all the proceeds will go to a Coldplay related organization?

Please tell me if that's right, or if there's anything I missed...

First off, Simon: I am absolutely DELIGHTED that you want to be on this again!!!!!:D Send mmp3 or WAV to [email protected], and of course, feel free to post it here if you want.:D

^That's exactly the concept. A CD compilation of original or public domain music by forum members to be sold online with the proceeds to go to a charity chosen by the forum, preferably one that Coldplay support.:nod:

^That's exactly the concept. A CD compilation of original or public domain music by forum members to be sold online with the proceeds to go to a charity chosen by the forum, preferably one that Coldplay support.:nod:

Public domain music? Does this mean that I could perform some classical music for the compilation? If so, I can think of a Schumann piano piece I could record straight away. :cheesy: