✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Coldplay Xylobands cost £400.000 a night

The Red Army

Not sure if posted anywhere, but here is the link to the article.

Apparently it is from the interview that will be aired tonight during the airing of the pre-recorded Coldplay concert.

http://www.digitalspy.ca/music/news/a387190/coldplay-xylobands-cost-gbp400000-a-show-says-johnny-buckland.html

"Speaking to Bauer Radio's In Demand, guitarist Johnny Buckland said: "Every night, I think it's about £400,000! It looks amazing, it just makes everyone have a great time - most of all us - and it just feels so magical! So we're just immensely grateful for them. "

"The full interview with Coldplay and an exclusive recording of their gig at Sunderland's Stadium of Light will be aired tonight (Thursday, June 14) from 8pm across 20 Bauer Radio stations in the UK. Visit http://www.coldplayindemand.com for more information."

Original article:

Chris Martin: Coldplay tour is smaller as we can't compete with Take That

Coldplay have revealed they are down-sizing their monster shows over fears they won’t be able to compete with Take That’s return.

article-1339614192418-139844F6000005DC-446071_636x300.jpg

The shrinking violets explained more than anything, they can’t match the sharply dressed man band in the vanity stakes.

‘I think what we do next will probably be something quite small, but that doesn’t mean we don’t love doing the big stuff,’ said lead singer Chris Martin.

The 35-year-old explained: ‘It’s probably good for us to mix it up a bit. You can’t keep trying to get bigger and bigger, you can’t try and compete with Take That.

'They have those five handsome men and you don’t need wristbands when you have that much talent in the looks department.’

The competition is becoming costly for the Paradise singers, who reveal their trademark flashing bands for fans aren’t exactly cheap.

‘Every night it’s about £400,000,’ said guitarist Jonny Buckland, who says it’s a price worth paying to grow their fan base.

‘Even if you don’t like our music now, I would say come to the show just to see that – wear earplugs, bring a book and when the lights come on have a look,’ the 34-year-old told Bauer Radio.

The fans most recently lit up living rooms thanks to the band’s controversial decision to perform on The X Factor final. And the band reveal they squabbled for ‘millions of hours’ over the decision for fear it would dent their credibility.

Hear the full chat on Coldplay: In Demand across 20 Bauer Radio stations tonight from 8pm.

link

Holy crap THAT'S RIDICULOUS!

I've seen that figure reported a couple places, but that's all probably as a result of this qoute. Nonetheless, it should be noted that that number is used in conjunction with the stadium gigs, which use significantly more bands than the arena ones.

How much would a band like that cost? $10-$15?

About 40,000 people for a stadium show = $400,000 to $600,00. Makes sense to me.

That's still way off from 400,000 pounds. By current exchange rates, you'd be off by a couple hundred thousand dollars US. The 600,000 figure might have a slight chance of being feasible on the low end, but it'd be a stretch.

How many concerts? 50? times an average of 30.000 xylobands? 1.500.000?

Producing xylobands in those numbers won't cost 10-15 pounds per piece.

It is no high tech item, just a receiver with some LEDs. Should be no more than 1-1,5 pound per piece.

How many concerts? 50? times an average of 30.000 xylobands? 1.500.000?

Producing xylobands in those numbers won't cost 10-15 pounds per piece.

It is no high tech item, just a receiver with some LEDs. Should be no more than 1-1,5 pound per piece.

Maybe they're accousting setup costs aswell? As in, it was Coldplay who made these bands work, before Jason found Coldplay they were just a dream. So I actually think 400,000 is a division of a larger number

'They have those five handsome men and you don’t need wristbands when you have that much talent in the looks department.’

:laugh3: Oh, Chris :rolleyes:

‘Even if you don’t like our music now, I would say come to the show just to see that – wear earplugs, bring a book and when the lights come on have a look,’ the 34-year-old told Bauer Radio.

hahaha :lol:

That's still way off from 400,000 pounds. By current exchange rates, you'd be off by a couple hundred thousand dollars US. The 600,000 figure might have a slight chance of being feasible on the low end, but it'd be a stretch.

How much would you say they gross per stadium concert? Does this make business sense?

Someone from the Xyloband team told me in December that they are £5 each (everything included).

Every night it’s about £400,000,’ said guitarist Jonny Buckland

Jonny doesn't say the £400.000 is for just the Xylobands, so I guess £400.000 is what a whole concert costs.

£400,000 for the whole show sounds a bit cheap as well though.

on one night you'll have the cost of:

xylobands

fireworks

huge balloons

confetti

a very lot of electricity

wages for the crew per day for the number of days it takes to set up the stage

wages for the roadies who work that night

wages for the other staff working that night

presumably the wages or a contribution to the stadium security staff

petrol for all the trucks

catering for all the people working