✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Coldplay Xylobands cost £400.000 a night

The Red Army

How much would you say they gross per stadium concert? Does this make business sense?

Somewhere in the neighborhood of 2-3 million US (gross receipts). It probably is feasible, but it would make their profit margin per show razor thin. (which isn't that unusual for a cutting edge stadium tour, U2 360 would've lost money despite huge receipts without corporate sponsorship for example.)

£400,000 for the whole show sounds a bit cheap as well though.

on one night you'll have the cost of:

xylobands

fireworks

huge balloons

confetti

a very lot of electricity

wages for the crew per day for the number of days it takes to set up the stage

wages for the roadies who work that night

wages for the other staff working that night

presumably the wages or a contribution to the stadium security staff

petrol for all the trucks

catering for all the people working

Some of those are costs to the promoter, as opposed to the production.

£400,000 for the whole show sounds a bit cheap as well though.

on one night you'll have the cost of:

xylobands

fireworks

huge balloons

confetti

a very lot of electricity

wages for the crew per day for the number of days it takes to set up the stage

wages for the roadies who work that night

wages for the other staff working that night

presumably the wages or a contribution to the stadium security staff

petrol for all the trucks

catering for all the people working

and the most expensive cost of all, would I be right in saying you have to pay to use the stadium/arena?

Well, at least second Jason (the Xylobands creator), it's not that expensive (Ignore my typo).

Am I the only one who caught this? I think Rafael got information directly from the horses mouth and that they do not cost what everyone is debating on. With that in mind it makes more sense that the total production cost of each concert is around 400,000.

Damn you Jonny, we need more details! :laugh3:

Jonny's not so good with the numbers (especially for someone who studied maths). There was an interview during Viva where he said he used 4-5 guitars a night, when he was actually playing a minimum of 8.

Jonny's not so good with the numbers (especially for someone who studied maths). There was an interview during Viva where he said he used 4-5 guitars a night, when he was actually playing a minimum of 8.

:lol:

Seriously, I really hope it's the case here b/c I don't want them losing money.

:lol:

Seriously, I really hope it's the case here b/c I don't want them losing money.

I'm sure they're not losing money, they're probably just not making nearly as much as they could be. People tend to think that because of ticket prices and gross receipts major tours make a lot more profit than is usually actually the case, and Coldplay have always been a "bleeding edge" band in terms of live production-and that costs.

That's still way off from 400,000 pounds. By current exchange rates, you'd be off by a couple hundred thousand dollars US. The 600,000 figure might have a slight chance of being feasible on the low end, but it'd be a stretch.

How much would a band like that cost? £10-£15?

About 40,000 people for a stadium show = £400,000 to £600,00. Makes sense to me.

Better? :laugh3:

I'm sure they're not losing money, they're probably just not making nearly as much as they could be. People tend to think that because of ticket prices and gross receipts major tours make a lot more profit than is usually actually the case, and Coldplay have always been a "bleeding edge" band in terms of live production-and that costs.

I think the 4 of them are paid a set amount from the promotors of the tour for each show, and I can guess they are not crying about it. :lol:

I think the 4 of them are paid a set amount from the promotors of the tour for each show, and I can guess they are not crying about it. :lol:

The band (any band) have a downside guarantee(sp?) that represents the set minimum they get paid. There's usually also a revenue split after that's been met though.

• 5 months later...

I'm glad it doesn't cost them that much, that sort of money being spent would make me kind of uneasy, especially with so much poverty...

That aside, it's nice to think that they're willing to spend money to make something so beautiful (i.e. a stadium 'glowing in the dark') to help interact with fans and let us really have an incredible concert experience. I think they are so considerate and thoughtful when it comes to their fans :)

And Thalia and Celine - you guys always make me giggle :laugh3: