✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

US braces for Hurricane Sandy

busybeeburns

Guest howyousawtheworld
Yes some believe that the process of re-building will be a positive boost to the economy although this may take a decade, Keynesian economics.

What? Only in the liberal world of Keynesian economics could you spin bullshit that the destruction of wealth and property equates to prosperity. No point in discussing the mythical benefits when it's going to escalate the cost of borrowing adding to the sort of debt that causes economic crashes in the first place. No productive or innovative capital will take place, in it's place only reconstruction of an economic base that was already there. Nothing "new" is likely to come out of it to benefit the economy. Keynesian economics is completely irrelevent and totally incompatible in today's economy. There's no silver lining. These are disasters not just physically but economically as well.

There's no point in discussing the "benefits" of it. Only the negative impacts.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the media wants you to believe this is more serious than it actually is. I think there will be some destruction and some flooding, but I don't think it's Frankenstorm, I don't think it's "The Perfect Storm", and I don't think it will be much different from hurricane Irene. Walmart must be loving this though.

Calling the weather Nostradamus to the thread.

What? Only in the liberal world of Keynesian economics could you spin bullshit that the destruction of wealth and property equates to prosperity. No point in discussing the mythical benefits when it's going to escalate the cost of borrowing adding to the sort of debt that causes economic crashes in the first place. No productive or innovative capital will take place, in it's place only reconstruction of an economic base that was already there. Nothing "new" is likely to come out of it to benefit the economy. Keynesian economics is completely irrelevent and totally incompatible in today's economy. There's no silver lining. These are disasters not just physically but economically as well.

There's no point in discussing the "benefits" of it. Only the negative impacts.

I'm spinning something all of a sudden? I never said I believed in it, the person asked a question about how others believe this could benefit the economy, and I gave the answer to how others have stated it would be a benefit, not me. I don't have a fucking clue about Keynesian economics and I don't know either way, so I'm not pretending to know about something I don't have a clue about, you could learn a real lesson from me in that aspect.

There's no excuse for your stupidity, I made it clear, "some believe that the process of re-building will be a positive boost to the economy although this may take a decade", and you quoted this, try learning to fucking read before you make such a fool of yourself.

NEWS FROM DANISH dr.dk/news:

DEATH TOLL AFTER HURRICANE SANDY CONTINUES TO RISE / IT HAS CLAIMED A TOTAL OF 154 HUMAN LIVES OF WHICH AT LEAST 82 IN THE 15 US STATES AND 34 IN NEW YORK

The number of people falling victim to the super storm Sandy's ravaging in the metropole New YHork has risen again - from 24 to 34 according to the New York police.

That means that there are at least 82 victims in the 15 US states hit by the storm - so US media report.

If CANADA and the CARIBBEAN are included, then Sandy has claimed a total of 154 human lives.

Particularly HAITI and CUBA were hard hit in the Caribbean. Most victims in New York died because of trees falling upon their cars or houses.

Guest howyousawtheworld
I'm spinning something all of a sudden? I never said I believed in it, the person asked a question about how others believe this could benefit the economy, and I gave the answer to how others have stated it would be a benefit, not me. I don't have a fucking clue about Keynesian economics and I don't know either way, so I'm not pretending to know about something I don't have a clue about, you could learn a real lesson from me in that aspect.

There's no excuse for your stupidity, I made it clear, "some believe that the process of re-building will be a positive boost to the economy although this may take a decade", and you quoted this, try learning to fucking read before you make such a fool of yourself.

Wasn't directing it at you. Was just directing at some people who think that way. By the very fact that none of the main news outlets are running with that seems to me it's a bit far fetched. You're just getting paranoid again. Oh and don't you question what you don't know about me either.

Wasn't directing it at you. Was just directing at some people who think that way. By the very fact that none of the main news outlets are running with that seems to me it's a bit far fetched. You're just getting paranoid again. Oh and don't you question what you don't know about me either.

You said very clearly that I was spinning bullshit, it's right there, go back and read it. You're becoming worse then mc_squared.

What? Only in the liberal world of Keynesian economics could you spin bullshit that the destruction of wealth and property equates to prosperity

Y'see that word "you", that kinda fucks up what you're claiming completely.

Guest howyousawtheworld
You said very clearly that I was spinning bullshit, it's right there, go back and read it. You're becoming worse then mc_squared.

Y'see that word "you", that kinda fucks up what you're claiming completely.

In fairness you are right. I was using "you" in general lackadaisical terms. Comes across worse in type than in off the cuff spoken word which while careless I really don't give two damns because I can't be arsed to write extended essays of the Reilly kind on forums.

Reilly 1 Howyousawtheworld 0!

In fairness you are right. I was using "you" in general lackadaisical terms. Comes across worse in type than in off the cuff spoken word which while careless I really don't give two damns because I can't be arsed to write extended essays of the Reilly kind on forums.

Reilly 1 Howyousawtheworld 0!

Great, except you got the scorecard wrong, it's at least 100 to me. If you think I actually believe this bullshit, you're kidding yourself.

Guest howyousawtheworld
Great, except you got the scorecard wrong, it's at least 100 to me. If you think I actually believe this bullshit, you're kidding yourself.

Oh I'm dreadfully sorry!

Reilly 100 - 0 Howyousawtheworld

Oh I'm dreadfully sorry!

Reilly 100 - 0 Howyousawtheworld

Now you're just getting weird. Let's take us back to the point, I said you're full of shit for u-turning on my Keynesian econmics point, and your reason for doing so was not at all justified. Let's see you get sarcastic about that.

Guest howyousawtheworld

Ok if you want a proper explanation.

Clearly you won't ever believe me but If I'm explaining a problem to an audience and start "say you take two apples and two oranges etc etc" I talk in general lackadaisical terms as I stated earlier. Dictionary.com states that "you" can be used as a term for:

- one; anyone; people in general:

Explanation is not directed just to you but to others ( the liberal Keynesian faction who produce such tosh) Isn't it clear in the context? It may have not been the most defined word to use but who cares? You know, I know and everyone knows (as you're original post suggested) that you didn't conjure up that theory so Christ knows why you think I thought you thought otherwise by getting all paranoid about me thinking you were the genius beholder of some spun Keynesian like economic theory. Even I know you're not that clever! However the theory you posted WAS, I believe, spun bullshit whether you believe it or not.

Also in my original response care to elaborate on the word "could". Doesn't mean that I said you did, does it?

Looks like you've been beaten at your own game here reilly....and no that isn't sarcasm!

In my job we help deliver end to end fibres between finicial IT, facebook , govermonts insitustions they have been reallly pissed off.

I think WTF look at the news... theres ya answer ... look" at the data center... its flooded ""

Monday night 17 EDT I had indians calling me my circuit is down, emm I say... this was comical have you spoken to your customer in NYC. As our initnal indications says there is no power on site...

He said no I cant reach him ,

I say have "you seen the news" ?

Customer ? yes

Guest howyousawtheworld
In my job we help deliver end to end fibres between finicial IT, facebook , govermonts insitustions they have been reallly pissed off.

I think WTF look at the news... theres ya answer ... look" at the data center... its flooded ""

Monday night 17 EDT I had indians calling me my circuit is down, emm I say... this was comical have you spoken to your customer in NYC. As our initnal indications says there is no power on site...

He said no I cant reach him ,

I say have "you seen the news" ?

Customer ? yes

What's the name of that company?

Superstorm Sandy aftermath; State by state death toll, power outage numbers

Sandy_power_20121102072933_640_480.JPG

Posted: November 2, 2012

(AP) - The massive storm that started out as Hurricane Sandy slammed into the East Coast and morphed into a huge and problematic system, killing at least 92 people in the United States. Power outages now stand at more than 3.8 million homes and businesses, down from a peak of 8.5 million. Here's a snapshot of what is happening, state by state.

CONNECTICUT - U.S. Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano says federal government will offer help. Pelican sighted on beach illustrates how massive storm carried birds from as far away as Europe and the Arctic. Deaths: 3. Power outages: 241,000, down from a peak of 625,000.

DELAWARE - Officials call for volunteers to help clean up damage at state parks. Main coastal highway remains closed. Deaths: none. Power outages: about 400, down from 45,000.

KENTUCKY - Mountain towns and counties work to clear as much as a foot of snow. Deaths: none. Power outages: none, down from 3,000.

MAINE - Leaders in the state's important seafood industry say they're hurting because the markets that usually buy their catch don't have power to store it. Deaths: none. Power outages: none, down from 90,000.

MARYLAND - Residents suffer without power after heavy snow in western mountains. Biologists measure pollution and other effects on Chesapeake Bay. Deaths: 4. Power outages: 28,600, down from 365,700.

MASSACHUSETTS - A British doctor who got stranded in the Philadelphia area says she spent $750 to make it to a conference in Boston. Deaths: none. Power outages: 7,200, down from 400,000.

MICHIGAN - Utility crews may work into Saturday to fully restore power. Deaths: none. Power outages: 5,000, down from 154,000.

NEW HAMPSHIRE - Officials estimate it will be the weekend before power is fully restored. Deaths: 1. Power outages: 1,300, down from 210,000.

NEW JERSEY - Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood to meet with officials to discuss state and local efforts for recovery. Deaths: 14. Power outages: 1.6 million, down from 2.7 million.

NEW YORK - Long lines form again at fuel pumps. Relief fund is created just for residents of hard-hit New York City borough of Staten Island, which Napolitano is to tour. Deaths: 46, including 39 in New York City. Power outages: more than 1.3 million, down from 2.2 million.

NORTH CAROLINA - Coast Guard calls off search for the captain of a tall ship that sank. Deaths: 2. Power outages: mostly restored.

OHIO - Dozens of residents staying in Red Cross shelters and many schools remain closed as power outages linger around Cleveland. Deaths: 2. Power outages: 89,000, down from more than 250,000.

PENNSYLVANIA - Power crews focus on restoring electricity to polling sites in advance of Tuesday's election. Deaths: 12. Power outages: 372,000, down from 1.2 million.

RHODE ISLAND - Residents allowed back into a community of beach cottages for the first time find homes ripped from their foundations, businesses destroyed and roads impassable. Deaths: none. Power outages: 17,700, down from more than 122,000.

TENNESSEE - Eastern areas dig out from heavy snow. Deaths: none. Power outages: none.

VERMONT - With power mostly back on, state's largest utility plans to send crews to help other states restore electricity. Deaths: none. Power outages: mostly restored, down from more than 10,000.

VIRGINIA - Port of Virginia starts receiving cargo diverted from New York. Deaths: 2. Power outages: 6,100, down from more than 180,000.

WASHINGTON, D.C. - Residents of a flood-prone neighborhood gather in celebration after storm fails to inundate their basements. Deaths: none. Power outages: none, down from 25,000.

WEST VIRGINIA - Governor to ask president for a federal disaster declaration after nearly 3 feet of snow. Deaths: 6. Power outages: 104,000, down from about 271,000.

^ Thank for the info.

I checked text-tv from Sweden, Norway and Germany:

DEATH TOLL FOLLOWING HURRICANE SANDY UPGRADED TO 100+ INCL. 40 IN NEW YORK

102 have been found dead in the USA + Canada incl. 40 in the US state of New York. The death toll will probably rise when the houses in the flooded areas have been searched thoroughly.

More than 2.7 million buildings in New York and New Jersey remain without electricity / power.

About 4.6 million electricity customers in 15 US states were without power / electricity on Thursday (yesterday) compared to a peak of 8.5 million without electricity.

In New York the electricity company / utility provider Con Ed aka. Con Edison warned that it may take several weeks before everyone has electricity again.

The power outage is a big problem for many New Yorkers. Yesterday / Thursday the authorities started the distribution of food to primarily the elderly and the poor.

Red Cross has 12 mobile kitchens with capacity for serving 200,000 meals a day.

Many people in some areas are also without clean drinking water. Also problems with supply of gasoline.

Residents in the hard-hit district Staten Island feel forgotten by the authorities. The destruction was big when the area was hit by a powerful tidal wave, and some districts are totally destroyed.

Among the 20 deaths were 2 brothers aged 2 and 4. Their mother tried to escape the storm, but a tidal wave swept over the car. When the car could not start, she got out of the car and put the boys on the roof. A new tidal wave came and carried away the 2 boys. Their bodies were found after a massive search.

The collective traffic has resumed in New York, but it is considerably limited. The New Yorkers are allowed to free transport by the subway and by busses.

New York's mayor Michael Bloomberg has ordered that there must be at least 3 people in each car arriving in Manhattan - this to facilitate the car traffic.

67-69 people died in the Caribbean.

Death toll amounts to a total of 171.

Source: German ARDtext / Norwegian NRK News + Swedish SVT Text

Storm Sandy: New York marathon cancelled

Sunday's New York City marathon has been called off in the aftermath of super-storm Sandy.

Michael Mike Bloomberg had come under heavy criticism for sticking by his decision to press ahead with the race.

New York politicians, especially in the cyclone-ravaged borough of Staten Island, said no resources should be diverted to the event.

More than 90 deaths in the US have been blamed on Sandy, and 3.5 million people still have no electricity.

Mayor Bloomberg said in a statement: "We would not want a cloud to hang over the race or its participants, and so we have decided to cancel it."

link

Looks like you've been beaten at your own game here reilly....and no that isn't sarcasm!

And you've just decided this for yourself? I don't see why you're still bothering, and I already understood how you're claiming to have used the word "you" (Despite your apples and oranges sentence being one of the worst examples available). The amazing thing is how hard you found it to explain something very simple. You're claiming to have meant the word "you" as in "one", "only in the world of Keynesian economics could one spin such bullshit...", there, not that difficult. I mean we're going in circles here, I don't believe it, you're explaining things that I already understand.

Will this feud surpass the one between me vs Saffire?

Time will tell... :inquisitive:

I think him mentioning the "whos right" scoreboard and especially what I just quoted at the start of this post sum up how silly it's getting, and I regret saying I'm winning 100-0 because I couldn't care less about just being right or looking right to the audience howyousawtheworld thinks exists and actually reads our shit, which is what he regularly plays up to.

• 2 weeks later...

The TV show "60 Minutes" will have a piece on tonight on CBS on how Hurricane Sandy has effected on area in particular, Belle Harbor. I was in the are last Sunday to help out some friends. It was devastating. Please watch if you can, here is a link

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18560_162-57547957/landmark-destroyed-by-superstorm-sandy/?tag=contentMain;cbsCarousel