✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

US braces for Hurricane Sandy

busybeeburns

_63759994_rq50f2nd.jpg

A resident of New Jersey heeds Governor Chris Christie's plea not to be complacent

US braces for Hurricane Sandy

The East Coast of America is preparing for the arrival of Hurricane Sandy, which is predicted to make landfall on Monday night, in the run-up to Halloween.

Its sustained winds of 75mph (120km/h) are set to intensify as it merges with a wintry storm from the western US. The hurricane, which has claimed the lives of dozens of people in the Caribbean, is also forcing presidential candidates to adjust schedules and cancel events.

President Barack Obama has held a conference call with emergency chiefs to discuss preparations for the storm, which could hit as early as Monday.

Its sustained winds of 75mph (120km/h) are set to intensify as it merges with a wintry storm from the western US.

A number of states key to the election could be hit by a storm that may affect up to 60 million Americans.

At 20:00 EDT (00:00 GMT on Sunday), the eye of the storm was about 330 miles south of Cape Hatteras in North Carolina, according to the National Hurricane Center.

Craig Fugate, director of the Federal Emergency Management Agency, said: "This is not a coastal threat alone. This is a very large area."

Sandy has already killed 60 people in the Caribbean during the past week. Republican candidate Mitt Romney cancelled an event scheduled for Sunday in Virginia, a key election state, because of the weather, and was instead heading to Ohio. President Obama will head to Florida on Sunday rather than Monday, and has cancelled a campaign stop with former President Bill Clinton in Virginia on Monday and a rally in Colorado on Tuesday to monitor the storm from the White House, said White House spokesman Jay Carney.

Vice-President Joe Biden also cancelled a rally in coastal Virginia to allow for disaster preparations.

Early balloting in Maryland saw lines of voters stretching for a number of blocks at some polling stations on Saturday.

But despite concerns about Sandy's impact, with some polls suggesting the contest is a virtual dead heat, both Mr Romney and Mr Obama pressed ahead with campaigning in key swing states on Saturday. Nine states are thought to be too close to call.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-20113811

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The East Coast of America is preparing for the arrival of Hurricane Sandy, which is predicted to make landfall on Monday night, in the run-up to Halloween.

I think Halloween is important here, it makes the hurricane that could be disastrous for many lives feel more ghoul-ish.

The Metro is down in the DC area so yeah this is serious.

I think the media wants you to believe this is more serious than it actually is. I think there will be some destruction and some flooding, but I don't think it's Frankenstorm, I don't think it's "The Perfect Storm", and I don't think it will be much different from hurricane Irene. Walmart must be loving this though.

I think the media wants you to believe this is more serious than it actually is. I think there will be some destruction and some flooding, but I don't think it's Frankenstorm, I don't think it's "The Perfect Storm", and I don't think it will be much different from hurricane Irene. Walmart must be loving this though.

No I get that like we literally just got two days off of school for what would just be considered a rainy day.

Current precipitation radar, headed this way:

71r21l.jpg

I think the issue is just going to be the persistent strong winds and rain. It surely won't be as severe here (in Detroit), but it will affect us regardless. Later today we're supposed to get "north wind 30 to 40 MPH (50 to 65 KMPH) with gusts 55 to 65 MPH (90 to 105 KMPH) developing this afternoon and persisting through Tuesday morning."

Uhmm.

tumblr_mcnwvjk3nJ1qad77go1_1280.gif

I think it can be pretty bad. I wasn't close to the epicentre of Irene, yet my 1400 people town got over a billion dollars worth of damage, and we are still rebuilding parts of some roads that were destroyed. Idk where you live, but Irene hit pretty hard last year.

Uhmm.

tumblr_mcnwvjk3nJ1qad77go1_1280.gif

I think it can be pretty bad. I wasn't close to the epicentre of Irene, yet my 1400 people town got over a billion dollars worth of damage, and we are still rebuilding parts of some roads that were destroyed. Idk where you live, but Irene hit pretty hard last year.

Ok i should rephrase my comment. here in philadelphia people are overreacting. By my understanding Sandy, is only supposed to brush over us.

I've seen some of the damage the rain from Irene caused in Vermont, they are still repairing the bridges which got washed away, some of the roads no longer exist.

The shops must be loving all the panic buying, those cases of Poland Springs must have rocketed in price the last couple days

---

Having spent last week in the area of the US where it's due to hit, I hope the damaged caused isn't massive, it's not the winds it's the rain which can cause the most damage.