✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Sinead O'Connor pens open letter to Miley Cyrus: 'Don't let the music business make a prostitute of

busybeeburns

• 5 weeks later...

I get that she *tried* to make some sort of commentary on the state of the pop industry while making fun of Robin Thicke and Miley Cyrus with the song... and I do kinda like it

At the same time she has managed to do the exact same fucking thing Miley did with this video - reducing women of color to the background, to be scantily-clad while she dances at the forefront dressed more modestly... she basically shits on them with "Don't need to shake my ass for you, cause I've got a brain" and meanwhile they twerk furiously throughout the clip. Using them as a prop to objectify and this time also mock. Goddamnit.

Also note the implication that you can't be smart and express your sexuality for someone else without being 'dumb' or something.

okay i dig her now

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93CZ6oFR8Q0]Miley Cyrus covers Summertime Sadness in the Live Lounge - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xsr0azlFI3A]Greg James and ACTUAL Miley Cyrus on an ACTUAL Wrecking Ball - YouTube[/ame]

At the same time she has managed to do the exact same fucking thing Miley did with this video - reducing women of color to the background, to be scantily-clad while she dances at the forefront dressed more modestly... she basically shits on them with "Don't need to shake my ass for you, cause I've got a brain" and meanwhile they twerk furiously throughout the clip. Using them as a prop to objectify and this time also mock. Goddamnit.

Satire.

You have a good point, but intent (and context) are certainly relevant. The fact that she/they end up scantily clad and shaking their asses was surely foreshadowed by that intentionally ironic lyric to illustrate the manipulation of the industry. Surely she doesn't actually mean to say that all the dancers in the video are brainless. #couldbewrong