✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Lockdown at Los Angeles airport amid shootings

busybeeburns

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFlMLrh6z2o]Los Angeles International Airport Evacuated After Shots Reportedly Fired - YouTube[/ame]

Shooting reported at Los Angeles airport

Los Angeles International Airport has been locked down amid report of gunshots.

Aerial television footage showed people in what appeared to be transport security uniforms being treated for injuries. Emergency vehicles and heavily armed police are on the scene. Officers were reported to be sweeping the terminal.

Passengers in the terminal were ordered to evacuate, some onto the tarmac. Witness Robert Perez told a CBS affiliate that airport security officers ran through the terminal yelling that a man had a gun. "I heard popping and everybody dropped to the ground," Perez said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-24773025

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-24773025

2 November 2013 Last updated at 02:52 GMT

TSA agent killed in Los Angeles airport shooting

A federal security agent has been killed and several other people (I have read: 7) wounded in a shooting at Los Angeles International Airport, officials say.

The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) said three of its staff had been injured, one fatally.

The suspect - named by the FBI as 23-year-old Los Angeles resident Paul Anthony Ciancia - was wounded by police and detained.

Hundreds of flights nationwide were affected by the incident.

LA Airport police chief Patrick Gannon told reporters a "lone shooter" came into Terminal 3 at 9:20 local time (16:20 GMT).

The suspect "pulled an assault rifle out of a bag and began to open fire in the terminal" inside the nation's third largest airport, he said.

He then allegedly went to a security screening area and continued shooting.

"As you can imagine, a large amount of chaos took place in this entire incident," Mr Gannon said.

It was the first time a TSA officer was killed in the line of duty, according to Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti.

'Suicide text'

The TSA named the killed officer as 39-year-old Gerardo Hernandez.

He said it was fortunate that the authorities had tackled the suspect because he had been armed with more than 100 rounds of ammunition.

A law enforcement official told the Associated Press that Mr Ciancia was shot in the mouth and leg by two airport police officers.

According to US media, the alleged gunman approached potential victims asking if they worked for the TSA, and spared them if they said no.

Various outlets reported he was carrying a note that expressed anti-government views.

Little is known about the suspect.

Mr Ciancia's family in New Jersey told police on Friday they had received a text message from him saying he planned suicide, report US media.

"Their younger child got a text message from Paul [Ciancia] stating that there were some comments in there about his wellbeing and he wanted to possibly take his own life," a New Jersey police chief, Allen Cummings, said.

Mr Cummings said he called Los Angeles police, who sent officers to Mr Ciancia's apartment in the city.

Two roommates of Mr Ciancia told Los Angeles police on Friday they had seen him the day before and he had appeared fine, according to Mr Cummings.

A local hospital official told reporters that one of the injured was listed in a critical condition, while two other victims were in fair condition.

Some 746 flights nationwide were affected and 46 were diverted because of the incident, said airport officials.

Terminal 3 remains closed as the investigation continues.

President Barack Obama expressed concern about the shooting, but said he would leave law enforcement to talk about it.

Why would anyone think that shooting at people inside of a freaking airport is a good, functioning plan? :|

Well it seems to have worked. Not sure how more foresight was taken into consideration but he killed, which I'm certain was his intention.

R.I.P. to the border guard.

Sadly I can't say rest in hell to the shooter as he didn't die.

Why would you want to? Maybe they can understand why this has happened given communication with him is a possibility. And what use is he dead anyway, in the context of justice?

Los Angeles :(

:hug:

Well it seems to have worked. Not sure how more foresight was taken into consideration but he killed, which I'm certain was his intention.
His intention was to kill many more though, as I've read evidence shows he intended to kill many TSA employees.

I meant that in an airport, a place where you're given weird looks just for saying "it's da bomb, man", security's gonna be there so fast I don't see how he could have thought it could have really worked without being caught seconds after starting to shoot. But yeah surprisingly he actually almost succeeded.

His intention was to kill many more though, as I've read evidence shows he intended to kill many TSA employees.

I meant that in an airport, a place where you're given weird looks just for saying "it's da bomb, man", security's gonna be there so fast I don't see how he could have thought it could have really worked without being caught seconds after starting to shoot. But yeah surprisingly he actually almost succeeded.

Well I think that's going to be a place where you'll see a lot of TSA employees but I was surprised people weren't on him quicker. I'm sure he expected to get caught within seconds. I doubt he envisioned getting away with it or anything like that.