✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The Nelson Mandela Tribute Thread

nvdmm

Mandela.png?1386298909

This thread is dedicated to the memory of one of the greatest heroes in human history. If you like to pay your tributes or share any stories and memories related to Madiba, this is the place to participate.

As a move to keep his memory alive and highlight his achievements, what do you believe to be his most significant and influential contributions to our world?

Just knew that one of my favorite Hongkong rock bands BEYOND had written a song in 1988, called 光辉岁月【Life of Light, Shine of Time, or Splendid Life】 to make a salute to Nelson Mandela. I listened to this song from my middle school era, and it is so popular, just didn't know the background at that time, but felt like sth. being planted and sth. ecouraging and powerful. Here is the video:

http://video.sina.com.cn/v/b/108568224-1797770533.html

Ohshit when I saw this thread yesterday I thought it said "The Nelson Mandela Tribute BAND" so I didn't pay much attention :lol: It's just now that I realized it said "Thread" :facepalm: Now I'm listenin :nod:

He was an advocate of reconciliation, forgiveness and justice. Given his story, I think that's really admirable and truly inspiring for the whole world.

I read somewhere that Bono of U2 will campaign for an official UN day (a day off) each year on 18 July, Mandela's birthday - a Mandela day - in the same way as Stevie Wonder's successful campaign i.a. via the song "Happy Birthday" for an official UN day for Martin Luther King on his birthday, namely a Martin Luther King day.

There probably will be at least a tribute album, & a tribute band comprised of people like Peter Gabriel and other musicians who called Mandela a friend would actually be pretty cool!
Ooh yes *that* sounds cool :nod:

Obama and Raul Castro shook hands at the memorial. Quite a powerful symbol.

• 1 month later...