✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

A no-Jonny album?

I was thinking about why is Another's Arms one of my favorites songs in this album, and then I realized that is the only one til now that have a guitar solo on this album. So, this mean this gonna be one of the albums with less Jonny presence that we will have? Unless Ink and True Love have a lot of guitar, and those all deluxe edition songs too.

This, compared with AROBTTH (IMP, GPASUYF, AROBTTH), MX (HLH, Paradise, MM) or X&Y (Fix You, Talk, X&Y), or even Viva (CoL, Lost!, 42, VH) is a very poor presence of Jonny boy (my favorite member). The only album that doesn't have some songs with guitar solos is Parachutes, which ironically is the one that seems similar to GS.

One review of the Ghost Stories live show mentioned that Jonny has a "slicing solo," on the track Ink I believe, so maybe that and Another's Arms will be the only two standout guitar moments.

Jonny isn't a guitar solo kind of player. Like The Edge he is more about catchy riffs, repetition, and atmospherics. While I understand your pain, I actually am really looking forward to how his guitar sounds on the bulk of this album. On Parachutes and AROBTTH, he had some sparkly and hard hitting stand out tracks, but I personally am more in love with his haunting atmospherics and little sonic touches like in Spies, A Whisper, High Speed, A Rush Of Blood etc. He has totally got back into this with songs like Oceans, AIMH and Atlas recently, so I think that his presence will certainly be felt.

GS is going to take a more minimalist electronic route, so I guess we will have to deal with some more slow going stuff. That is evolving your sound I guess.

that is a good point. I don't think any of us really know what goes on behind the studio doors: who plays what, who produces what, who soundmixes etc. But what you say is true. In the Zane Lowe interview Chris said that Magic is the first time someone else has started a song and I think it turned out great! Maybe if Jonny isn't being heard on guitar he is still throwing in sounds or electronic beeps and boops. It has to take a full band to make music as layered as Coldplays!

He may not be ripping away at guitar solos, but Jonny is busy on every track. I was actually really happy to see Guy lead Magic, and have a mini "solo" on ASFOS. This is the most equally balanced album by far.

Yup!

Guest howyousawtheworld

Jonny is at his best when composing and performing those little delicate and intricate pieces of guitar and just because he's not been pushed to the fore with a ripping solo doesn't mean he's not there. My favourite Jonny track is without doubt Don't Panic. One of the best and most beautifully crafted guitar songs. It's what Coldplay's sound was built on and songs like Magic stay true to that quality which Jonny provides.

yeah it's more a no-will album: jonny plays more piano than chris in the new album, the main riff in asfos, AA and AIMH solos, Guy started magic, has a bass solo in AA, mixed and produced the album, and the intrumental part between oceans and asfos main instrument is bass. I think Will was the one "left out"

Actually there IS a lot of will-- just because he isn't playing real fast, smashing on the cymbals and banging on the snare drum constantly does not mean he is not "there"-- he's just playing more low key (and rather groovy) drum beats now.

^ I see it too. Don't know why people don't like the electro drums since he have to play it anyway.

I'm not a big fan of the electronic percussion on GS because in my opinion it makes the beat much too prominent. For example in the studio version of AA I would have rather liked a soft background brushing than that thumping rhythm. It reminds me a bit of contemporary R&B. As with GS, in my opinion a more dreamy-like percussion would have fitted the ghostly atmosphere of the album better than synthetic beats that could also have been produced by a drum-machine.

The Real Problem

I'm not a big fan of the electronic percussion on GS because in my opinion it makes the beat much too prominent. For example in the studio version of AA I would have rather liked a soft background brushing than that thumping rhythm. It reminds me a bit of contemporary R&B. As with GS, in my opinion a more dreamy-like percussion would have fitted the ghostly atmosphere of the album better than synthetic beats that could also have been produced by a drum-machine.

[video=youtube;XDZKN4ftzns]

I'm thoroughly convinced that Will is dealing with a serious addiction to electronic beats—like Jonny’s former struggle with jazz music. Ever since the viva tour, Will’s been obsessed with his drum pad. Keep in mind that Princess of China AND Up in Flames both made their debut from the drum kit. Then over time his condition worsened, and he forced the band to let him play up front.

Ghost Stories is a clear sign the group is doing their best to cope, but Will’s selfishness is currently prevailing. Be prepared for a replacement drummer, and a Will Champion solo tour.

[video=youtube;XDZKN4ftzns]

I'm thoroughly convinced that Will is dealing with a serious addiction to electronic beats—like Jonny’s former struggle with jazz music. Ever since the viva tour, Will’s been obsessed with his drum pad. Keep in mind that Princess of China AND Up in Flames both made their debut from the drum kit. Then over time his condition worsened, and he forced the band to let him play up front.

Ghost Stories is a clear sign the group is doing their best to cope, but Will’s selfishness is currently prevailing. Be prepared for a replacement drummer, and a Will Champion solo tour.

:lol:

I fell like the next album to come out next year will have will very busy and johnny boy.. but we'll see

I do hope so. Upon the first listen I am feeling Johnny deprived! There are so many unique layers of sounds perhaps I need to listen more closely and I will hear that he is still there. Chris said this is the second album that was 100% what they wanted unlike x&y which he said was 60% and VLV was only 80%. Surprised at that really.

Amsterdam is still at the top of my list of Coldplay faves. Gets me every time. I don't hear anything on GS that will be added to my list of top five unfortunately. I hope that will change...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

did you hear the solo in true love, never heard him playing like that on a album track

Yes! It's one of the best solos he has. Im still stunned. True Love is now my favorite song in the album :)

Now at least the album has 2 songs with solos, that's much better.