✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Which pre-album period have you enjoyed the most in the past 10 years?

Sparky

New Coldplaying.com article

http://www.coldplaying.com/10-years-of-coldplay-album-releases/

Preview : The highly rated sixth studio album from Coldplay, “Ghost Stories” is about to be released! We will take a look at the hype that surrounded each album release within the last ten years, taking a trip down memory lane and talking about events before each album’s release and the tracks which were heard while waiting in anticipation for the album, some unexpectedly appeared, others leaking and some which felt like a lifetime before they arrived!.......

Let us know your favourite album pre-release period over the past 10 years. The mystery of X&Y, the rebirth that was VLVODAAHF, the colourful and long build up of Mylo Xyloto or have the past few months for Ghost Stories been the highlight? :)

To me, each pre-album period has been special in its own way. I was just finishing high-school when X&Y was about to be released and I remember hearing Fix You for the first time in The OC, a popular TV show at that time. The song captivated me just like hearing O in the Zane Lowe show did a few weeks ago. Not coincidentally, right now both songs are my favorite Coldplay songs ever.

I believe the anticipation for this one will be forever marked with the news that Chris was separating from GP. Such a sad time which is clearly represented in the album. It is also a step back for the boys after Viva la Vida and Mylo Xyloto, which were very colorful and hopeful eras.

Waiting for Viva I was at a mid point of my law degree and about that time I broke up for four months with my then girlfriend who is now my wife. I remember Violet Hill being premiered in BBC Radio 1. I loved the song immediately and then downloaded it (for free) from coldplay.com. We had a great time around here deciphering the Life in Technicolour video and the wait for the album was not very long, especially sing Viva was released somewhere in between Violet Hill and the album. An instant classic and favorite, quite representative of the hope and color in such era.

For its part, the wait for Mylo was so long, preceded by festivals appearances, but also full of hope and happiness. Such era really captured a feeling of togetherness and euphoria for me. Mylo will always represent happy yet sad times (like Every Teardrop). My wife's dad died of cancer but we also got married that year. We got to hear Princess of China before the album was leaked, which at the end was leaked by someone under the name of BriBERY.

Nothing like the hype preceding Ghost Stories, though. It is a shame that once the album was streamed on iTunes I felt that I have already heard almost all the songs. This band (and forum) will always be a great companion to my life.

I was a bit technologically challenged at the time of X&Y. I didn't know how to google well, didn't know how to download things, I think I even asked for a copy for X&Y on the forum not knowing about copyright laws! So I didn't know how to search for news on the album and therefore didn't really participate in this era until the album was actually out.

MX has one big issue that made the era not quite as enjoyable nor impactful as it couldve been: we simply heard too many songs way before the album was out. I was one of the many on this site finding live streams for Rock Am Ring (and the other concert before it). I/we were all spoiled and hooked from the first chimes of mylo xyloto as it lead into Hurts Like Heaven with its mesmerizing guitar work and combined laser show. But with such a big gap between that first concert and the album release, by the time MX came out, i've heard the whole thing already and the magic was pretty much d.o.a.

GS has kinda suffered the same problem as MX in that I/we have heard most of the songs already. I only haven't heard Ink and the bonus tracks. At its peak, my bootleg GS album of 3 released tracks and all others live recordings or snippets had over 30 minutes of the 42 the final product eventually had. Not all was bad though. The amount of time between the surprise Midnight promo single and now was short yet has a lot of nuggets of info within those past weeks. It seemed like every week had an appearance on TV or concert stream or interview to keep hype high.

I think the viva era was the best pre-album era for one standout reason: Prospekt. For those unfamiliar, the character posted a lot of behind the scenes stuff on Coldplay's webpage as a kind of journal. I just remember it being very insightful in regards to tracklists, new songs, all that jazz. It was pretty much roadie 42 before there was a roadie 42. I also happened to be present at the time of this album leaking (in JTF) (my first live leak). All this combined with the new Coldplay HQ, the Bakery, a drastically different sounding Coldplay, new collaborations (Eno, Rossi, etc) and lots of footage made this my fav pre-release era from Coldplay's history.

I think the viva era was the best pre-album era for one standout reason: Prospekt. For those unfamiliar, the character posted a lot of behind the scenes stuff on Coldplay's webpage as a kind of journal. I just remember it being very insightful in regards to tracklists, new songs, all that jazz. It was pretty much roadie 42 before there was a roadie 42. I also happened to be present at the time of this album leaking (in JTF) (my first live leak). All this combined with the new Coldplay HQ, the Bakery, a drastically different sounding Coldplay, new collaborations (Eno, Rossi, etc) and lots of footage made this my fav pre-release era from Coldplay's history.

I forgot about those amazing Prospekt entries, who by the way was Phil.

I forgot about those amazing Prospekt entries, who by the way was Phil.

Did not know that. I also found out last month the oracle is Debs. I think we know R42 as well but forgot the name. Do we know Anchorman?

I do not know who Anchorman is. 42 is Matt Miller, Chris piano tech.

Ah, thanks. I'm not good with names. I only know debs 'cause its such a unique name, Debs Wild esp. compared to Matt Miller, a more generic name.

I still remember receiving an email for a free download of Violet Hill from Coldplay. And man, I was wonderstruck! I think Coldplay themselves did a lot for during the Viva La Vida. The LRLRL Ep was also available to be downloaded for free. And yes, those Prospekt entries! I Miss those days oh so much :\

I wasn't here for X&Y so I can't judge on that one. But VLV is a favourite, even looking past my fangirlism over it. Lots of cool content released.

Did Prospekt give some ideas of unreleased songs? I remember a description of Famous Old Painters (which didn't make the album)

Definitely Viva la Vida, for the reasons given above, but also because I was simply more active on the forum during those days and made a lot of friends during the VLV era. Prospekt was very good at building up the hype before the album came out.