✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

How does Midnight fit in Ghost Stories?

42JTR

The question that has been puzzeling me for the past couple of days is: how does Midnight fit in with the whole ''Lost love/break-up'' theme?

All songs on the (regular) Ghost Stories version are about love and breaking up. But Midnight isn't? So why did they put this on the album? It would have made sense if they had put it on the Deluxe version as a bonus track. Theme wise it just doesn't fit among the rest of the songs I think.

Don't get me wrong, I love the song and I'm happy it's on the album :)

I think if you look at the words "Ghost Stories" itself, it sounds spooky, dark, etc. With that said Midnight fits in well with the album title. It doesn't fit the break-up theme, so I guess it's a wildcard. Just like how Yes sounded different from all other tracks in VLV.

i think you are right with it being different to all the other songs on the album with lyrics and sound. But for me I am glad its there, its one of my favorite on the album. It must be the biggest 'grower' ever, I know so many people that really disliked it on first listen including myself but it just sounds awesome now. Especially live!

It was definitely perfect for GS. But the thing is I don't like how it was tied with True Love. Should have been a long fade out of True Love then a long fade in for Midnight. It would have been a spooky experience especially hearing it in the midnight!

• 8 years later...

For me it's fit with the album lyrically and musically. This song was a song who Chris talk about the dark time of his life and the lyrics was clearly refers has a person deal with depression. The lyrics ''In the darkness of the room'' refer has a person depressed to became out of the light. Musically, it's the most electronic thing of the album. This song was consider has a electronic, spiritual and ambient song and the most experimental song of the album. My favorite song of the album (and my top 5 of all Coldplay songs) and a gem of the group.